Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Solution is simple  ::)

Restrict Dublin county team from 2021 onwards to previous years club champions with 2 wildcards.

This would be for a 5 year trial period.

thebackbar1

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 12, 2019, 12:08:53 PM
@Hound, lads on here are not interested in facts which you clearly have first hand knoweledge off, The funding issues is just a cheap jibe to try and take away from the senior footballers.

As you outlined, there is bigger advantages Dublin have than some coach coming up to Dublin to coach in primary schools to mostley kids who are not even in GAA clubs, no offence to any but its a glorifed P.E job, a lot of schools dont have P.E coaches, these lads come in and do an hour or 2 a week.

It might be gloried p.e, but why can't urban clubs outside of Dublin avail of this funding ? Why are Dublin clubs seen as more equal than clubs outside of Dublin ?  Fair play to the Dubs for availing of this funding, but the GAA management at Croke Park need to start earning their salaries.

TheGreatest

Quote from: thebackbar1 on August 12, 2019, 01:18:07 PM
@Hound, lads on here are not interested in facts which you clearly have first hand knoweledge off, The funding issues is just a cheap jibe to try and take away from the senior footballers.

As you outlined, there is bigger advantages Dublin have than some coach coming up to Dublin to coach in primary schools to mostley kids who are not even in GAA clubs, no offence to any but its a glorifed P.E job, a lot of schools dont have P.E coaches, these lads come in and do an hour or 2 a week.

It might be gloried p.e, but why can't urban clubs outside of Dublin avail of this funding ? Why are Dublin clubs seen as more equal than clubs outside of Dublin ?  Fair play to the Dubs for availing of this funding, but the GAA management at Croke Park need to start earning their salaries.

In my opinion, Dublin are underfunded. The amount should be increased for penentration into new area of Dublin to try to install a GAA presence.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 12, 2019, 01:41:53 PM

In my opinion, Dublin are underfunded. The amount should be increased for penentration into new area of Dublin to try to install a GAA presence.
What have they been doing for 10+ years?
Ignoring the non GAA areas?
Where have they been splurging the money so?

mup

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 12, 2019, 01:45:20 PM

What have they been doing for 10+ years?
Ignoring the non GAA areas?
Where have they been splurging the money so?

The manager and backroom team need paying. They don't come cheap ya know.

thebackbar1

I wouldn't see an issue with this as long as the funding was opened up to all growing urban areas where the GAA is lacking a presence. Increasing participation rates in our sports should be our top concern, though this may mean that our intercounty competitions may become more imbalanced that they currently already are. Similarly the association needs a strategy for supporting rural clubs. 

sambostar

I'm involved in a Dublin club underage with 2 GDO's. 1 is involved with a county team & is an exceptional individual. The huge benefit is not just in coaching kids themselves but coaching the coaches who then pass on expertise to the kids. Any time drills or advice is needed there's someone available to assist. A GDO is on hand to come to training to monitor & advise how things can be improved. To say that hasn't helped develop players over last 15 years is nonsense. And other counties don't have these luxuries

TheGreatest

Quote from: sambostar on August 12, 2019, 02:19:26 PM
I'm involved in a Dublin club underage with 2 GDO's. 1 is involved with a county team & is an exceptional individual. The huge benefit is not just in coaching kids themselves but coaching the coaches who then pass on expertise to the kids. Any time drills or advice is needed there's someone available to assist. A GDO is on hand to come to training to monitor & advise how things can be improved. To say that hasn't helped develop players over last 15 years is nonsense. And other counties don't have these luxuries

Nobody is doubting it helps, but its not the overall contribution to the success. There are many factors, many.

I was wrong to call it a glorified P.E teacher, some do good work. Niall Corcoran from Galway, who was a GDO in Dublin and played for the Dublin hurlers is now with Laois hurlers, not sure if he still coaches. My associate has a masters in P.E and is fully qualifed at the top level coach for 13 years with 3 clubs, he has now moved on to better things.

The coaching the coaches is the real advantage of this whole thing, mothers and father being brought up to foundation/level 1 and it helps, there are no micky mouse training sessions, all structured, which is i am sure the case in a lot of counties now.

Hound

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 12, 2019, 01:10:31 PM

Restrict Dublin county team from 2021 onwards to previous years club champions with 2 wildcards.

Jeez. Hope Judes don't win Dublin so. 14 culchies and Kev Mac!

(may be a slight exaggeration in case any Judes people are offended)

TheGreatest

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2019, 03:01:33 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 12, 2019, 01:10:31 PM

Jeez. Hope Judes don't win Dublin so. 14 culchies and Kev Mac!

(may be a slight exaggeration in case any Judes people are offended)

Your not far off.

6th sam

There is obvious benefit to GDOs and several other aspects of Dublin raising  the bar in terms of professional approach. It has worked for GAA in Dublin and We should be learning from this and try to extend these benefits throughout the GAA.
A few controversial solutions for starters  :
1.Working group on Gaa strategy including Exploring the possibility of re-drawing GAA boundaries which were historically based in the British counties system and on catholic parishes. Eg split Dublin in 4, cluster parishes for GDO. Hi
2.Have a 3 tiered All ireland based on NFL position, post first round. Then revert to knockout
3.equitable distribution of GAA central funds and sponsorship
4. All-Ireland sustainable Expenses budget for all players
5. Floodlit and gym facilities for all clubs to improve participation

priceyreilly

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2019, 09:33:04 AM
Quote from: priceyreilly on August 11, 2019, 08:38:53 PM

Time after time it gets pointed out to you but you just stick your fingers in your ears!

The games development funding plays a vital role in producing and identifying talent but it's just the first step in the financial doping scandal. These professional coaches go into schools, coach kids the basics at a young age and encourage them to join the local club. In the clubs they coach the coaches and take sessions themselves but one of their key roles is identifying talent and reporting their findings to the various regional of hurling development officers who get these players into the development squads and the elite player program.

That's just complete lies.

The games developments officers have absolutely nothing to do with identifying talent.

For example, at U14 level, the mentors of my lad's team were asked to bring their best 10 players to a Dublin development trials day. The mentors, who were parents like me, had the decision to make which 10 out of the about lads were going to do. Our games development officer never went near these lads. Ever.

My lad was one of the 10, so I went along. Now, he knew and I knew that there was no chance of ever playing for the Dubs, but it was a great experience to get that tiny glimmer of hope!
From memory, they did 5 different 10/15 minute sessions, where they were mixed with one other club and doing various drills and taken by different trainers who were there. I remember David Henry and Declan Lally were there. I think Stephen O'Shaughnessy was co-ordinating it. There was probably 100 kids there, with 5 coaches plus the co-ordinator, so every coach worked with every player. There was was probably at least one other separate session with 100 more. 4 of our lads were asked back to a second session and they whittled them down until they got to a workable number.

The following year they start with the best of the lads, and ask the mentors in each team to identify any lads who missed out but they think warrant another look. The games development officers have zero impact or influence, many of them arent even Dubs ffs (we're on our fourth at my club in my time, and the 3rd one was the only Dub). I'd be surprised if most other counties don't have something similiar, albeit with much less numbers! But none of it has anything to do with games development funding directed at primary school children.

So yeah, you talk a load of shite about stuff you know nothing about.

The games development officers certainly do have a role in identifying talent. You mightn't have seen it but that doesn't mean anything.

These development squads have huge amounts of funding pumped into them. They're academy teams similar to what you'll find at the provinces in rugby. Some of the sports science testing they undergo, other counties wouldn't even know what it's called. And you only part quoted me because you again want to ignore the main point. The games development funding is not some completely separate thing. These paid coaches play a key role but also, with this paid for, there's money to spend elsewhere. It's all one big system. For example, where do you think all those numbers come from at trials etc? How did they get involved in GAA? Would the professional coaches who were in their schools and gave them one of their first interactions with sport have anything to do with it?

As I said, the financial doping is not just the Bertie fund, it also includes the huge sponsorship money which has led to professional structures at all levels.

seafoid

Quote from: priceyreilly on August 12, 2019, 04:22:41 PM

Time after time it gets pointed out to you but you just stick your fingers in your ears!

The games development funding plays a vital role in producing and identifying talent but it's just the first step in the financial doping scandal. These professional coaches go into schools, coach kids the basics at a young age and encourage them to join the local club. In the clubs they coach the coaches and take sessions themselves but one of their key roles is identifying talent and reporting their findings to the various regional of hurling development officers who get these players into the development squads and the elite player program.

The games developments officers have absolutely nothing to do with identifying talent.

For example, at U14 level, the mentors of my lad's team were asked to bring their best 10 players to a Dublin development trials day. The mentors, who were parents like me, had the decision to make which 10 out of the about lads were going to do. Our games development officer never went near these lads. Ever.

My lad was one of the 10, so I went along. Now, he knew and I knew that there was no chance of ever playing for the Dubs, but it was a great experience to get that tiny glimmer of hope!
From memory, they did 5 different 10/15 minute sessions, where they were mixed with one other club and doing various drills and taken by different trainers who were there. I remember David Henry and Declan Lally were there. I think Stephen O'Shaughnessy was co-ordinating it. There was probably 100 kids there, with 5 coaches plus the co-ordinator, so every coach worked with every player. There was was probably at least one other separate session with 100 more. 4 of our lads were asked back to a second session and they whittled them down until they got to a workable number.

The following year they start with the best of the lads, and ask the mentors in each team to identify any lads who missed out but they think warrant another look. The games development officers have zero impact or influence, many of them arent even Dubs ffs (we're on our fourth at my club in my time, and the 3rd one was the only Dub). I'd be surprised if most other counties don't have something similiar, albeit with much less numbers! But none of it has anything to do with games development funding directed at primary school children.

The games development officers certainly do have a role in identifying talent. You mightn't have seen it but that doesn't mean anything.

These development squads have huge amounts of funding pumped into them. They're academy teams similar to what you'll find at the provinces in rugby. Some of the sports science testing they undergo, other counties wouldn't even know what it's called. And you only part quoted me because you again want to ignore the main point. The games development funding is not some completely separate thing. These paid coaches play a key role but also, with this paid for, there's money to spend elsewhere. It's all one big system. For example, where do you think all those numbers come from at trials etc? How did they get involved in GAA? Would the professional coaches who were in their schools and gave them one of their first interactions with sport have anything to do with it?

As I said, the financial doping is not just the Bertie fund, it also includes the huge sponsorship money which has led to professional structures at all levels.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0622/1056894-gaa-see-dublin-as-blueprint-for-future-not-the-problem/

In 2018 "Dublin spent €3.6m on coaching and games development. Of that, €1.2m from central headquarters, the clubs paid 50% of the games promotion officers and the balance of the funding comes from the county board funds, through sponsorship and gate receipts."
Dublin, with 10 intercounty sponsors on board, earned €1.46m in commercial revenue in 2017 - more than twice that of their closest rival in the financial stakes, Cork. "

It's a racket
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

6th sam

Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2019, 04:26:54 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on August 12, 2019, 04:22:41 PM

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0622/1056894-gaa-see-dublin-as-blueprint-for-future-not-the-problem/

In 2018 "Dublin spent €3.6m on coaching and games development. Of that, €1.2m from central headquarters, the clubs paid 50% of the games promotion officers and the balance of the funding comes from the county board funds, through sponsorship and gate receipts."
Dublin, with 10 intercounty sponsors on board, earned €1.46m in commercial revenue in 2017 - more than twice that of their closest rival in the financial stakes, Cork. "

It's a racket

When you spell it out like that, it is a racket , and unfair. never mind the advantages and economies of  scale associated with being a large centre of population with much better resources and facilities, (and that's not of Dublin or the GAA's making) , the 95% home games, the depth of  quality from which they can choose their players, managers and administrators . It's an awful pity that Dublin's successes over the past few years will always be sullied by the ridiculous advantages they enjoy. I'll never take away from them , that In the past 10 years they have capitalised on those advantages brilliantly and fair play to them. It's not their fault , it's the fact that the GAA have done nothing to redress the balance.

priceyreilly

Don't forget that the doping has not just improved their senior footballers, it's across the board, have a look: