Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on February 09, 2019, 05:19:53 PM
8 may be too radical but say 12 in total, with two divisional teams.
I didn't mean to relegate 8 teams in one go. I was implying that 7 or 8 of the current senior teams are possible relegation candidates from one year to the next.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Downtheroad

I heard Pat Spillane this evening discussing the success of Kerry teams in the All Ireland Intermediate and Junior championships. Considering what happens in Laois with having 16 club senior teams, it is hard to get the head around Kerry only having 8 club teams.  They have 8 divisional teams to cater for the intermediate and junior players.  But it explains why Kerry have such a good record in the club competitions. Courtwood who actually performed well all things considered  won the competition for the 16/17th best team in Laois while Kilcummin in Kerry were the 8th/9th best team in Kerry. At a national level, our clubs haven't a chance of competing unless we reduce the number of teams at our highest grade.

High Fielder

And that has been the case for a long time now Downtheroad. It is of course obvious, and has been for a long time, that change is necessary. The desperation of some Senior clubs right now could well see that change happen but look at the harm that has been done to bring us to this point. If we could put aside our misgivings, then there may well be support from players for a Kerry type system. And let's be honest, if Barrowhouse were contemplating joining up with Arles Killeen, then surely anything is possible. After the way they have been treated by their neighbours and county board alike, I wouldn't blame them if they had asked to go over the ditch to Kildare. Anything that cuts out that back stabbing daylight robbery can only be a good thing, and in that regard, I welcome change

Countyminor

Quote from: High Fielder on February 10, 2019, 11:39:05 AM
And that has been the case for a long time now Downtheroad. It is of course obvious, and has been for a long time, that change is necessary. The desperation of some Senior clubs right now could well see that change happen but look at the harm that has been done to bring us to this point. If we could put aside our misgivings, then there may well be support from players for a Kerry type system. And let's be honest, if Barrowhouse were contemplating joining up with Arles Killeen, then surely anything is possible. After the way they have been treated by their neighbours and county board alike, I wouldn't blame them if they had asked to go over the ditch to Kildare. Anything that cuts out that back stabbing daylight robbery can only be a good thing, and in that regard, I welcome change

Dead on, agree with all of that. Were the Barrowhouse officials high when they agreed to join with Killeen? How many players would realistically make Killeens team anyways, the ones that do would just end up bolloxed for the junior. I think, personally, there is a little bit more openness for change around the county. Not sure if it's been mentioned already but Louth voted last year for a divisional championship which, similar enough to the Kerry setup, includes normal running of the club championships followed by the divisional championship which includes their 12 senior teams & a few area sides. Personally I think it'll fail (I doubt there's enough interest/player commitment in Louth to actually sustain interest for what seems like a full year) but still, nice to see a proactive county board thinking on its feet.

SCFC

I see in the under 20 football this year there's a Sarsfields team.
Mountmellick Ballyfin Kilcavan The Rock Mountrath and Trumera. In the B if you don't mind.

Keyser Söze

Mountmellick/Ballyfin can always be relied upon to do things right!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Portlaoise in the u13 B Hurling and u17 B Hurling

Abbeyleix Gaels (Ballinakill/Abbeyleix and some Margy Players)

Na Fianna (ballyfin,mountmellick,slieve bloom)

Na Fianna Og (Arles x 2,Ballylinan,Crettyard)

Camross Na Fianna (Camross, Ballyfin & Slieve Bloom) U17 Hurling

Spink Ratheniska football at all grades

Joseph's in B at u15 and 17

Mountmellick Gaels (Mountmellick & Clonaslee St Manmans

That's just the Tip of the iceberg,

Sarsfileds taking in trumera and mountrath footballers

Na Fianna  taking in Clonaslee footballers

The list goes on and on and on....

LooseCannon

I know that I may be attacked, but f**k me, could they not be original with a name, like St (insert local saint here), instead of Na Fianna X2.

Gmac

Quote from: LooseCannon on February 18, 2019, 05:58:15 PM
I know that I may be attacked, but f**k me, could they not be original with a name, like St (insert local saint here), instead of Na Fianna X2.
should be st michaels who were very competitive in most underage competitors in 80s early nineties

SpeculativeEffort

Is there anywhere that all amalgamations at juvenile level can be viewed?

Keyser Söze

Contact The PRO/you're PRO!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Blow-in

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on February 18, 2019, 07:05:21 PM

Just ask the lads here! They seem to know everything, especially Clonadmad!

clonadmad

Quote from: Batman!!! on February 19, 2019, 06:37:36 AM
Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on February 18, 2019, 07:05:21 PM

Just ask the lads here! They seem to know everything, especially Clonadmad!

I'll take that as a compliment BM

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on February 09, 2019, 06:44:37 PM
Have utterly no idea, but it can't be instant.

Why not?

Relegate:
1 - as is.
2 - two teams from relegation final.
3 - both teams from relegation final, loser playoff of relegation semifinal winners.
4 - all four relegation teams.
5 - four releg. teams plus loser playoff rd3 losers
6 - etc etc etc

Can be done. Should be done.

And not some Senior B bullshite. Relegate 8 teams to intermediate. No promotion that year from the IFC. Every level gets dropped a level. Kerry can do it. Galway & Tipp did it.

Laois afraid of their shite to change anything. Senior B/Senior A is horseshite. Structure the championships properly and let the clubs live or die by their strengths....not by being the second-worst team every year.

The PRO

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on February 20, 2019, 04:31:06 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on February 09, 2019, 06:44:37 PM
Have utterly no idea, but it can't be instant.

Why not?

Relegate:
1 - as is.
2 - two teams from relegation final.
3 - both teams from relegation final, loser playoff of relegation semifinal winners.
4 - all four relegation teams.
5 - four releg. teams plus loser playoff rd3 losers
6 - etc etc etc

Can be done. Should be done.

And not some Senior B bullshite. Relegate 8 teams to intermediate. No promotion that year from the IFC. Every level gets dropped a level. Kerry can do it. Galway & Tipp did it.

Laois afraid of their shite to change anything. Senior B/Senior A is horseshite. Structure the championships properly and let the clubs live or die by their strengths....not by being the second-worst team every year.
Welcome back Dave - you're right. If there's a will there to change things, it can be done pretty much instantaneously.