Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: sid waddell on June 26, 2018, 08:36:40 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 26, 2018, 08:29:42 AM
Quote from: The Bearded One on June 25, 2018, 11:41:54 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 25, 2018, 07:42:35 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 25, 2018, 06:46:06 PM
Declan Bogue made a fair old eejit out of Brolly on Twitter today.

Declan Bogue should be embarrassed today.

Why so?

That farce of a performance from Fermanagh. He should call out Gallagher's tactics on that.
What was farcical about it?

Donegal are a much better team.

Fermanagh did bloody well to even get to the Ulster final.

They weren't good enough. So what? They certainly weren't completely disgraced like Cork were by Kerry and teams have had worse capitulations in Ulster finals before.

It was a joke. Second half they copped on a bit and tried to go for it. Embarrassing.

sid waddell

Quote from: longballin on June 26, 2018, 08:44:51 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 26, 2018, 08:36:40 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 26, 2018, 08:29:42 AM
Quote from: The Bearded One on June 25, 2018, 11:41:54 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 25, 2018, 07:42:35 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 25, 2018, 06:46:06 PM
Declan Bogue made a fair old eejit out of Brolly on Twitter today.

Declan Bogue should be embarrassed today.

Why so?

That farce of a performance from Fermanagh. He should call out Gallagher's tactics on that.
What was farcical about it?

Donegal are a much better team.

Fermanagh did bloody well to even get to the Ulster final.

They weren't good enough. So what? They certainly weren't completely disgraced like Cork were by Kerry and teams have had worse capitulations in Ulster finals before.

It was a joke. Second half they copped on a bit and tried to go for it. Embarrassing.
There was nothing embarrassing about it.

They were beaten by a much better team and wouldn't have been in the final at all were it not for their tactics.

Beating two teams who were in the All-Ireland quarter-finals last year shows they were more than justified to play the way they played.

longballin

They were a joke on Sunday. End of.

sid waddell

Quote from: longballin on June 26, 2018, 09:17:12 AM
They were a joke on Sunday. End of.
Trmendous debating.

restorepride

Quote from: sid waddell on June 26, 2018, 08:39:57 AM
Quote from: restorepride on June 26, 2018, 08:00:21 AM
The great 1993 Derry team was honoured in Clones on Sunday, 25 years on. Brolly didn't go. Integrity at its best.
Don't recall Brolly playing in that game, he might have come on as a late sub but I can't even recall that.

Steven Mulvenna and Brian McCormick played for Derry.

Brolly and Seamus Downey came into the Derry team for the semi-final against Dublin having played little or no part up that.

Apart from missing the point, a memory check for you.  Brolly was the second of three subs Derry used. Both others, Dermot McNicholl and Karl Diamond, had the integrity to be there. 

longballin

Quote from: restorepride on June 26, 2018, 04:56:18 PM
The great 1993 Derry team was honoured in Clones on Sunday, 25 years on. Brolly didn't go. Integrity at its best.
Don't recall Brolly playing in that game, he might have come on as a late sub but I can't even recall that.

Brolly and Seamus Downey came into the Derry team for the semi-final against Dublin having played little or no part up that.

Apart from missing the point, a memory check for you.  Brolly was the second of three subs Derry used. Both others, Dermot McNicholl and Karl Diamond, had the integrity to be there.

To wave at Donegal and Fermanagh supporters  ::)

restorepride

Quote from: longballin on June 26, 2018, 06:16:29 PM

[/quote
Maybe you were not aware but Derry won the inaugural Dónall Ó Murchú cup on Sunday and Brolly missed that as well.

longballin

Quote from: restorepride on June 26, 2018, 07:05:53 PM

[/quote
Maybe you were not aware but Derry won the inaugural Dónall Ó Murchú cup on Sunday and Brolly missed that as well.

I think a lot of Derry supporters missed it but sure if it's an opportunity to have a go at Brolly. I remember Frank McGuigan missed Clones anniversary celebration of 1984 Ulster final that he was the star of... no-one was bothered bout it.

restorepride

Quote from: longballin on June 26, 2018, 07:12:46 PM

[/quote

I think a lot of Derry supporters missed it but sure if it's an opportunity to have a go at Brolly. I remember Frank McGuigan missed Clones anniversary celebration of 1984 Ulster final that he was the star of... no-one was bothered bout it.
Given your very recent memory lapses .... some may take your defence of Brolly's absence with eleven pinches of Ard Bó salt!

longballin

Quote from: restorepride on June 26, 2018, 08:15:37 PM

[/quote

Given your very recent memory lapses .... some may take your defence of Brolly's absence with eleven pinches of Ard Bó salt!

Don't see any big deal with Brolly or Frank or anyone else miss that.

restorepride

Quote from: longballin on June 26, 2018, 09:00:40 PM
Quote from: restorepride on June 26, 2018, 08:15:37 PM

[/quote

Don't see any big deal with Brolly or Frank or anyone else miss that.
But for money Brolly would have been there - no show like a Joe show!  Great chance to blow a few kisses missed! Did send his daughter thou. Hope she gets doing the All Ireland one as well, sur!

trileacman

https://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/joe-brolly/joe-brolly-the-bt-of-science-simply-cant-handle-quality-football-37091825.html

QuoteThere has been a lot of debate over the last few years about the usefulness of science in the game. System v Spontaneity. Statistics v Creativity. Jim McGuinness, for example, is a leading proponent of the system-based approach. Presumably, it was on this basis that he predicted in a recent Irish Times column that Fermanagh were capable of winning the Ulster final because they "have the capacity to keep Donegal to 0-10". He went on to say that his prediction was based not on ability and flair, but on science.

"This is not about the best team; it is about the best system."

Donegal managed 2-18, as it turned out, so just the 2-8 more than Jim predicted. No doubt he will explain the science behind that in a future column. As for Kerry's destructive path through Munster, he explained this on the basis that, "Kerry have reached a flow state". This, he wrote "is an intense, highly-focused concentration on the present where the participant gets sort of lost in the activity and where there is a sense of time being altered". I'm not sure about the physics behind that, but I certainly had a sense of time being altered trying to read the piece, which seemed to go on forever.

Quite a personal dig at McGuinness. Brolly goes to wax lyrically about Kerry.

QuoteThey have a bit to go yet, but already they are starting to look like the great Down forward line of 1991/'94, or the Tyrone front six of 2005. Most importantly, they are brilliant to watch, and when a team play the right way, they become a shared journey for the players, supporters and neutrals. As distinct from the farce created by Jimmy's massed defence.

The bullsh!t of science can't handle quality football according to Joe, I'd have loved to watch him sitting through the Kerry Galway game with a big sour waspish face.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

yellowcard

Thought McGuinness article was completely bizarre and gave an insight into the negativity of his mindset. It was a depressing read but the sad reality is that there are a whole cavalcade among the coaching fraternity, many of whom have aped his original game plan, who will think of it as genius.

McGuinness was at least original and tactically identified how an entirely different approach could be successfully deployed. The problem now is with the rules which facilitate and reward such a negative, fearful and defensive mindset. The GAA need to act urgently this winter to redress the balance but I'm not completely hopeful that they will. If history is anything to go by they will tweak the rules when reform is what is required. Let's just hope that any of these text book coaches who are well practiced in self preservation are not part of any group charged with looking at ways to improve the spectacle.