Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Targetman, there is no way the goal should have been given in 1986. Pat Donnan, who it is fair to say had a broad chest, was on the line and leaning forward when he caught the ball. The umpire beside him never moved a muscle but the one on the other side, who did not have a clear view, grabbed the green flag.

Smurfy123

Wobbler any thoughts on the weekend? Why is it going so badly wrong at all levels for Down? Who should be next in line? Deegan?

thewobbler

Im surprised that anyone's surprised.

Have a look at our championship defeats since 2010:

2017: Tyrone 9 pts, Monaghan 8 pts.
2016: Monaghan 19 pts, Longford 4 pts (aet)
2015: Derry 1 pt, Wexford 5 pts
2014: Tyrone 8 pts (R), Kildare 10 pts
2013: Donegal 3 pts, Derry 5 pts
2012: Donegal 11 pts, Mayo 18 pts
2011: Armagh 5 pts, Cork 12 pts

With the exception of Celtic Park in 2015, once our heads dropped, the bangers went completely. Which would suggest the players know/believe they're not good enough.

Whether we like it or not, football did change around the turn of this decade. To compete against a top side you have to be structured at the back, which is about management, coaching and shape, and swift and decisive in attack - which is primarily about individual player decision-making. Furthermore, you have to win upwards on 70% of your own restarts, as strong opponents will win more than that of their own.... and you can't win a match with 30% possession. I can't help feeling we're fundamentally lost in all these accounts. Our defensive shape is set up to give opportunities to hide; marking space instead of making tackles, not getting forward to support ball carriers or winning break ball.

Anyhow, I think it's fair to say that we can no longer look down on Antrim. Not something I thought I'd ever say. But being honest is good way to start rebuilding.

Nanderson

Was just watching the Down vs Kildare match from 2010, and the difference between this Down team and then is unreal. Sure Down had a better squad back then but that Down team did everything at 100 miles per hour; tacking, breaking forward and forward movement.

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Nanderson on June 12, 2018, 02:37:02 PM
Was just watching the Down vs Kildare match from 2010, and the difference between this Down team and then is unreal. Sure Down had a better squad back then but that Down team did everything at 100 miles per hour; tacking, breaking forward and forward movement.

we had mccartan, McIver and tally then though

we had ambrose Rodgers, coulter, hughes, the Clarkes, polie, that team should have beat cork that year
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Brick Tamlin

The contribution of Garvey and Rooney in 2010 often goes overlooked. They nullified so many individual threats on opposing teams that year.

Aristo 60

The 'Down Way' of reminiscing past glories is evident in those last two posts. We have to look forward if we are to move forward.

I'm away home to watch 1991 again  :)

Targetman

Enniskillen next Saturday at 5, the reward for last Sunday's efforts!!

maldini

Deegan? What has he done to warrant getting the Down senior job? Beat Antrim under 20s?

Just keep giving it to the next player from the 91/94 teams who hasn't had the job yet

Smurfy123

By all accounts Deegan reign as under 20 boss has been anything but good. Very unorganised and lads had not a clue when the were training. A very unprofessional set up.

snoopdog

Anyone who was on the Hill in 91 can apply for the Job.

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Aristo 60 on June 12, 2018, 04:59:16 PM
The 'Down Way' of reminiscing past glories is evident in those last two posts. We have to look forward if we are to move forward.

I'm away home to watch 1991 again  :)

incorrect, you have to look every way possible - fact

btw the 1991 final was how football should be played
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

downjim

We need youth Niall McAleenan , Mickey Walsh and Conor Laverty. That's an exciting line up

Brick Tamlin

Jesus.
This is getting ridiculous now.

downjim