11-Plus Proposal

Started by spiritof91and94, May 16, 2008, 12:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiritof91and94

Ruane will outline schools plan 

The issue of the 11-Plus has proved controversial
Northern Ireland's education minister is due to speak to the assembly's education committee about her plans for primary school transfer.

It follows a contentious meeting of the executive during which three separate proposals for progress were rejected.

First Minister Ian Paisley said Caitríona Ruane's plans to reform academic selection could not go ahead without DUP and executive support.

Thursday's executive meeting ended without a full discussion of the plans.

Ms Ruane told the executive there were parties "who were anti-change in relation to education".

"It is disappointing that colleagues who claimed that they wanted a discussion on the proposals didn't even engage.

"What happened today was an attempt to frustrate change. I will not be frustrated and I am not demoralised."

Caitríona Ruane is to speak to the NI Assembly

However, the first minister said her education proposals were not the basis for a way forward.

Mr Paisley said: "The education minister can make any suggestion she wants to. However, it will not come into force until she has the support of the DUP and the endorsement of the executive.

"This is now a matter for the executive to deliberate and to decide upon. "

The minister's proposals have been criticised by grammar schools who said their acceptance of them would be "like turkeys voting for Christmas". But Frank Bunting of teachers' union, INTO, said the plan was a sensible and pragmatic roadmap out of the impasse.

Last December, Ms Ruane announced the transfer test, commonly known as the 11-plus, would come to an end in 2008.

Ms Ruane is to propose a form of testing to continue for three years, but there will be a limit on the number of pupils grammar schools can take on that basis.

A proposal to extend testing at age 11 would need legislation passed and the minister has warned of an "unregulated future", where schools run their own entrance tests.

It is believed the minister could commission new tests which encompass broader educational areas than the current transfer test.

These tests would be developed and marked by the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment, continuing for about three more years.

Why touch something that is working imo
Is Catronia Ruane to be taken seriously - all she can say is "I am the education minister and I will change the future"  - reminds me of Stan Staunton... ;D

A Quinn Martin Production

Ruane is a disaster...completely out of her depth and absolutely abysmal on Hearts & Minds last night.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

SouthArmaghBandit

Does anyone understand what is going to happen to kids in P6 now? Caítriona Ruane says that no one is confused. Well I am.

This is a really serious issue for parents of children around that age and I really would like to know what the plan is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7632666.stm

Donagh

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on September 24, 2008, 08:49:35 AM
Does anyone understand what is going to happen to kids in P6 now? Caítriona Ruane says that no one is confused. Well I am.

50% of current P6 students will be able to transfer on the basis of academic selection, 30% the year after and 20% the year after that.

In 2013 all admissions will be on the basis of non academic criteria.

www.deni.gov.uk/education_minister_presents_proposals_to_executive_colleagues.pdf

Uladh

I asked my nephew, who has just started p6, at the weekend whether he was doing the 11 plus next year and he said they don't know yet.

How can our children's education be so badly handled?

Donagh

Quote from: Uladh on September 24, 2008, 10:40:07 AM

I asked my nephew, who has just started p6, at the weekend whether he was doing the 11 plus next year and he said they don't know yet.

You should put him out of his misery then and tell him the 11+ was abolished years ago.

SouthArmaghBandit

Has this actually been agreed or is it one of a number of proposals? I think that's were the confusion arises.

If it's all agreed, fair enough, let's get on with implementing it and telling parents. If it's not, when will things be agreed?

Uladh

Quote from: Donagh on September 24, 2008, 10:41:39 AM
Quote from: Uladh on September 24, 2008, 10:40:07 AM

You should put him out of his misery then and tell him the 11+ was abolished years ago.

Noone's told the teachers so - kids have been told that they don't know if the 11+ will be required.

This is not a party political issue. education is a foundation stone of society so spare us the propaganda donagh

Orior

Kids? Send them all downt pits.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Donagh

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on September 24, 2008, 11:03:40 AM
Has this actually been agreed or is it one of a number of proposals? I think that's were the confusion arises.

If it's all agreed, fair enough, let's get on with implementing it and telling parents. If it's not, when will things be agreed?

AFAIK she doesn't need agreement from the Uppers and Duppers as she is changing the existing system and not abolishing. Surely it's now the responsibility of the schools to inform parents of the options - at least that's what I heard one principle say on the radio yesterday.

Donagh

Quote from: Uladh on September 24, 2008, 11:07:46 AM

Noone's told the teachers so - kids have been told that they don't know if the 11+ will be required.

I'm sure 9/10 year old have more important things to be worrying about that next years exams. Should have asked him how the CERN experiments were going.

Orior

Quote from: Donagh on September 24, 2008, 01:26:09 PM

AFAIK she doesn't need agreement from the Uppers and Duppers as she is changing the existing system and not abolishing. Surely it's now the responsibility of the schools to inform parents of the options - at least that's what I heard one principle say on the radio yesterday.

Eh? Who decides what the system should be, the schools or the department? If its based on geography then the likes of St Mary's Grammar Magherafelt could disappear.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Donagh

Quote from: Orior on September 24, 2008, 01:33:48 PM
Eh? Who decides what the system should be, the schools or the department? If its based on geography then the likes of St Mary's Grammar Magherafelt could disappear.

The department has decided after academic selection has been phased out then selection should be on the basis of the some or all of the following:

Geography
· Parish
· Catchment area
· Nearest suitable school
Family
· Currently attending sibling only
· Eldest / first child
Community
· Feeder primary
Social disadvantage
· Looked after children
· Children entitled to Free School Meals
Tie Breakers, such as Random Selection

Lecale2

Quote from: Donagh on September 24, 2008, 01:26:09 PM

I'd say if she does go ahead without widespread agreement there will be an application for Judicial Review. That could hold any change up for years.

Onion Bag

The whole country is a joke at the min, (not funny one either), these are only proposals, the f**king executive wont even sit down together to talk about them and put them into practise, so in my eyes the whole f**king thing is a waste of time
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!