Ros v Galway Connacht Final 2019

Started by Rossfan, May 28, 2019, 09:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Hard to put into words how disappointing that second half was.
For most of it we had no option inside in the ff line for quick ball.
Anytime there was someone inside he was double marked.
Ian Burke spent the majority of the second half outside the 45 and a lot of it in our own half.
How in Gods name is that allowed to happen at county level?
Our style of play means when we turn the ball over we simply cannot punish the other team on a quick counter attack and catch them out of position.
At one stage Brannigan won a ball in our half and started to hare away.
He looked up and we had one single player isolated in the ff line with nobody else in their half to link the play. So he had to turn back and restart the slow painful buildup again.
Just criminal stuff in that second half.
Two final points - my heart sank when I heard Power was being replaced before throw in.
Let's call a spade a spade Power is a better keeper than Lavelle - kick outs much much better.
Lavelle is too inconsistent and he was poor again today.
Today showed once again that Sean Andy is a livability who cannot defend one on one.
He had to be dropped.

Congrats to Ros - they more than deserved the win based on the second half performances of both teams.

Rossfan

Ohhh yesssss :D
Change to dry clothes and out for some liquid......
Yooohooooo
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Duine Eile

That was a shambles, and it began with the announcement that Lavelle and Cooke were playing. Lavelle is a disaster on kick outs, Cooke hasn't played since March and you could see he wasn't match fit. Fiontán was another one who wasn't able for the pace of this game, he was given the run around more than once. Shane Walsh was left up front as finisher for Ian Burke to feed but that didn't work, Burke needs someone like Comer or Martin Farragher beside him. We needed to drive on after half time and that was the time to introduce runners like Molloy and McDaid to give Ros something different to think about but again our management wait until something goes wrong to react. Waiting until the 70th (?) minute to bring on Farragher and Molloy was an insult to those 2 players. The attitude of the whole team is wrong, this constant negative football is draining to watch, it must be horrendous altogether to play. Once Roscommon went a point ahead that was it, Galway gave up. We have serious talent in that panel but it's being wasted completely by Walsh and his constant negativity and bad management.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on June 16, 2019, 09:18:28 PM
Ohhh yesssss :D
Change to dry clothes and out for some liquid......
Yooohooooo

Comhghairdeas Rossfan. Enjoy whatever liquid you have!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Angelo

Quote from: galwayman on June 16, 2019, 09:11:25 PM
Hard to put into words how disappointing that second half was.
For most of it we had no option inside in the ff line for quick ball.
Anytime there was someone inside he was double marked.
Ian Burke spent the majority of the second half outside the 45 and a lot of it in our own half.
How in Gods name is that allowed to happen at county level?
Our style of play means when we turn the ball over we simply cannot punish the other team on a quick counter attack and catch them out of position.
At one stage Brannigan won a ball in our half and started to hare away.
He looked up and we had one single player isolated in the ff line with nobody else in their half to link the play. So he had to turn back and restart the slow painful buildup again.
Just criminal stuff in that second half.
Two final points - my heart sank when I heard Power was being replaced before throw in.
Let's call a spade a spade Power is a better keeper than Lavelle - kick outs much much better.
Lavelle is too inconsistent and he was poor again today.
Today showed once again that Sean Andy is a livability who cannot defend one on one.
He had to be dropped.

Congrats to Ros - they more than deserved the win based on the second half performances of both teams.

I think a lot of Galway's problems today stemmed from the fact that they had the likes of Burke and O'Laoi inside who are nice players but will really struggle to win ball particulalry when Roscommon were well organised defensively. The modern game dictates that you need guys who can win ball inside. Roscommon had a couple of inside forwards today who showed well for the ball, were able to win it and then able to convert - that was the difference between the sides for me.

Galway badly, badly miss Comer. They look a shadow of the side without him.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Duine Eile

Ian Burke seems to be taking an awful lot of flak for the forwards performance on social media, he didn't have his best day but he's missing having that big full forward beside him, added to that the ball into him was cat bad. The way the forward line was set up was never going to suit Burke's game. Well done to Roscommon and Anthony Cunningham by the way, they outplayed and outfought this Galway team again today.

Tubberman

Can't help but wonder has Sean Andy been badly coached at senipr level. I remember seeing him at minor and thinking he was the best out and out full back i could remember watching. He was excellent at u21 too but seems a liability at senior.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Duine Eile

Quote from: Tubberman on June 16, 2019, 09:41:13 PM
Can't help but wonder has Sean Andy been badly coached at senipr level. I remember seeing him at minor and thinking he was the best out and out full back i could remember watching. He was excellent at u21 too but seems a liability at senior.

He had a decent year last year but throughout the league this year and into championship he's a liability at full back, the only way he can stop a forward is by fouling, he rarely makes a decent tackle.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 16, 2019, 09:21:30 PM
That was a shambles, and it began with the announcement that Lavelle and Cooke were playing. Lavelle is a disaster on kick outs, Cooke hasn't played since March and you could see he wasn't match fit. Fiontán was another one who wasn't able for the pace of this game, he was given the run around more than once. Shane Walsh was left up front as finisher for Ian Burke to feed but that didn't work, Burke needs someone like Comer or Martin Farragher beside him. We needed to drive on after half time and that was the time to introduce runners like Molloy and McDaid to give Ros something different to think about but again our management wait until something goes wrong to react. Waiting until the 70th (?) minute to bring on Farragher and Molloy was an insult to those 2 players. The attitude of the whole team is wrong, this constant negative football is draining to watch, it must be horrendous altogether to play. Once Roscommon went a point ahead that was it, Galway gave up. We have serious talent in that panel but it's being wasted completely by Walsh and his constant negativity and bad management.

I think FOC was actually doing OK but he was obviously carrying that injury a bit and had to come off early. Cooke another who was not match fit with no football in his legs.

Think that's the worst I've ever seen Ian Burke play. And I mean ever. He was fumbling balls and slipping over every two minutes.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 16, 2019, 09:38:00 PM
Ian Burke seems to be taking an awful lot of flak for the forwards performance on social media, he didn't have his best day but he's missing having that big full forward beside him, added to that the ball into him was cat bad. The way the forward line was set up was never going to suit Burke's game. Well done to Roscommon and Anthony Cunningham by the way, they outplayed and outfought this Galway team again today.
There was plenty on decent ball sent into Ian today and he fumbled nearly everything that came his way today - easily the worst performance he has put in for a long time.   The forward play in the second half was non existent.  It was a horrible performance and Walsh's position is no longer tenable IMO, he has to go along with his management team.

Duine Eile

I think all in all our forwards had a nightmare, Mike Daly was about the best of a bad lot and he was taken off  ::)

chrissears

well done the rossies you have now beaten Mayo & Galway away, you must be doing something right!

galwayman

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 16, 2019, 09:38:00 PM
Ah now come on - all of the balls that he fumbled cannot be blamed on anyone/anything else.
He just wasn't at the races today.
Sure he would be better served feeding off a guy like Comer inside but that is irrelevant to all of the basic handling mistakes Ian made today. I'm a huge fan of his but he hasn't been firing this year at all.
Quite why he was played so deep in the second half remains a mystery though!

twohands!!!

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 16, 2019, 09:44:31 PM

He had a decent year last year but throughout the league this year and into championship he's a liability at full back, the only way he can stop a forward is by fouling, he rarely makes a decent tackle.

I remember seeing him in an U21 game (can't remember who it was against) and he was absolutely dominating the lad he was marking but it was pretty much all based on his physical advantage - catching high ball over the forward's head, just being physically too strong and fast for the forward to compete with - can't help but think he never developed the full range of proper defensive skills underage because he didn't need to as he pretty much always had the phycial advantage over opponents - now he's competing with forwards that he doesn't have a physical advantage over he just doesn't know how to defend them without fouling.

Duine Eile

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 16, 2019, 10:57:16 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on June 16, 2019, 09:44:31 PM

I remember seeing him in an U21 game (can't remember who it was against) and he was absolutely dominating the lad he was marking but it was pretty much all based on his physical advantage - catching high ball over the forward's head, just being physically too strong and fast for the forward to compete with - can't help but think he never developed the full range of proper defensive skills underage because he didn't need to as he pretty much always had the phycial advantage over opponents - now he's competing with forwards that he doesn't have a physical advantage over he just doesn't know how to defend them without fouling.

That's it in a nutshell, think it was against Dublin he really stood out in an u-21 game, he was marking Con O'Callaghan I think and did a job on him.