'Hunger'

Started by Donagh, April 11, 2008, 02:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

Quote from: ONeill on April 11, 2008, 03:12:31 PM

He went to the Kerry school that lost the Hogan final.

dungannon were lucky! anyway i was more upset when tralee lost the final the previous year..

Minder

Hunger strike film is based on 'worst criminals in hell'
27/05/08

THE new film about IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands's final days has been accused of "glorifying some of the worst criminals in hell".

Republicans should be hounded for war crimes, not recognised by the Cannes Film Festival prize-winning movie Hunger, according to Jim Dixon, injured in the IRA's 1987 Poppy Day bombing in Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh which killed 11 people.

"The IRA should be held accountable for the horrendous deeds that they carried out," he said.

"These men are looking for credibility but if you trailed hell you couldn't find any worse."

Sands refused food for 66 days in the Maze prison, Co Antrim, in 1981 in a bid to be recognised as a political prisoner.

He was the first of 10 republicans to die.

The prisoners died in a protest for the right to wear their own clothing and other privileges formerly ceded to political inmates.

Mr Dixon unsuccessfully stood for election in 2001 in opposition to the 1998 Good Friday Agreement.

DUP assembly member Robin Newton said the production would offend many victims.

"If the director Steve McQueen actually wanted to understand the fanatical nature of terrorists there are other ways to study the motives of those who are prepared to murder and bomb that cause less offence to those who continue to suffer as a result of their depraved actions," he said.

Belfast City Council refused to allow its property to be used in the making of the film.

A spokesman for the producers said no release date had been set.

"I believe that people need to see the film before passing judgment. They are making decisions about it without having seen it," he said.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

rrhf

How about this.... the schools of the 2 actors mentioned met in this years Hogan Cup final, and of course the Tyrone men won, but in a unique show of Kerry / Tyrone  unity they both went on to win the Cannes cup side by side.  Has this ever happened before in the GAA?

Uladh

Where's Willie Frazier?

surely this is a job for wee willie

Donagh

Quote from: Uladh on May 29, 2008, 10:40:02 AM

Where's Willie Frazier?

surely this is a job for wee willie

Busy grieving for the Dublin and Monaghan bomber:

Loyalist gang member dies
BY Staff reporter
27/05/08

AN alleged member of the 'Glenanne Gang' which carried out some of the most notorious loyalist killings of the 1970s on both sides of the border has died. Retired farmer James Mitchell from Glenanne, Co Armagh, died in Daisy Hill Hospital in Newry on Saturday night.

To read more login or subscribe.

thejuice

So has anyone one seen the movie yet?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

his holiness nb

Its bizarre that anyone is giving out about the film without having seen it. for all they know it could be 100% factual, so how is that wrong?

If these people want to see films about how bad the IRA were, then get the FACTS together, and make the film.
Ask me holy bollix

nifan

QuoteIts bizarre that anyone is giving out about the film without having seen it.

Are you surprised.
people have been giving out about things they havent seen since records began.

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on May 29, 2008, 01:56:21 PM
QuoteIts bizarre that anyone is giving out about the film without having seen it.

Are you surprised.
people have been giving out about things they havent seen since records began.

some people cant handle the truth. how anyone can give out about a film based purely on facts is beyond me.
Ask me holy bollix

nifan

Well a film based on historic events is always open for chriticism. If someone did a film of bobby sands and portrayed him in a very unsympathetic way we would have an entirly diffrerent set of people going on about the facts. And id be quite certain it would start before people had seen the film.

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on May 29, 2008, 04:39:58 PM
Well a film based on historic events is always open for chriticism. If someone did a film of bobby sands and portrayed him in a very unsympathetic way we would have an entirly diffrerent set of people going on about the facts. And id be quite certain it would start before people had seen the film.

100% agree, and equally pointless given that they wouldnt know exactly what they are giving out about without seeing it.
Ask me holy bollix

stiffler

Will the film be shown in cinemas across the north?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Main Street

There is a screening tonight of H3 on rte 2 at 12.10am.
Made in 2001, a drama set in the H Blocks.
I haven't seen it, so can't comment on it.

Donagh

Quote from: Main Street on June 07, 2008, 09:55:25 PM
There is a screening tonight of H3 on rte 2 at 12.10am.
Made in 2001, a drama set in the H Blocks.
I haven't seen it, so can't comment on it.

It's very good and well worth sitting up for. Written by Brian Campbell (http://www.artscouncil-ni.org/news/2005/new11102005b.htm) and Laurence McKeown (77 days on hunger strike) it's as close to the authentic story as you are going to get. Watch out of big Laurence in a cameo as a screw after the wing shift.

Donagh

Watched the movie this evening. It's a powerful but ultimately very sad and difficult film to watch. Don't be expecting a politcal polemic as McQueen has made a very artistic flim with lots of strong aural and visual imagery. A surperb piece of filmmaking - hard to believe it's his first.