Quote from: Keyser soze on June 28, 2016, 03:20:16 PM
Quote from: Orior on June 28, 2016, 01:23:03 PM
Quote from: michaelg on June 27, 2016, 06:53:24 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 27, 2016, 06:40:19 PM
Quote from: michaelg on June 27, 2016, 06:35:24 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 27, 2016, 06:28:44 PM
Quote from: michaelg on June 27, 2016, 05:59:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi4d0YrKCaI

Funny how there has been no media coverage / public outcry about this charming little ditty.  Can only imagine the responses on here if NI fans sang an equivalent song.

Feck me you did well to dig that one up from tens of thousands of fans behaving themselves I hope you didnt spend too long trying to find not alot
No digging required - Was doing the rounds on social media.  I stand by my original post that this would have been jumped on by the media if the show was on the other foot.
Its fairly harmless in fairness.
Maybe, but likely to cause aggro if sang in pubs shared by other fans.  Also, flies in the face of some people's claims on here that sectarianism is a one way street.  Without labouring the point, had NI fans been recorded singing 'F**k the Pope' or some other such nicety, it would be all over the media.

Hilarious. You say that we claim that sectarianism is a one way street, you offer a video of some celtic/irish fans, and then you claim there is recorded sectarian singing from OWC fans.

The no surrender cry was loud and clear during gstq at every one of the owc matches. Someone even wrote in to the belfast telegraph to complain about owc singing anti-german songs.

Sport for all protestants

Where is the sectarian element in this? They are singing a song about a foreign leader who is in command of the forces that have occupied part of their country. And who decorated said forces who murdered innocent civilians in the street in McClean's hometown. It is in this capacity, not as leader of the CoE, that the supporters are ascribing to McClean the hatred of her.

On the other hand The Pope is a religious leaders and songs about him would therefore by necessity be of a sectarian nature. And the Pope's s only military intervention in Ireland was quite a long time ago if I remember correctly.
Sectarian does not just relate to religious sects but to political sects also.

Well who belongs to which political sects in this scenario? The Queen? McClean?? The singers? Go on tell me cos I can't work it out.
You don't know if The Queen is Nationalist or Unionist?
You don't know if McClean is Nationalist or Unionist?
You don't know if a crowd of Irish lads singing about them are Nationalist or Unionist?

Milltown Row2

A lot of this is down to, we ain't as bad as them and our little digs are ok....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Keyser soze

Quote from: LeoMc on June 29, 2016, 10:46:15 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 29, 2016, 09:56:15 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 29, 2016, 08:48:27 AM

Funny how there has been no media coverage / public outcry about this charming little ditty.  Can only imagine the responses on here if NI fans sang an equivalent song.

Feck me you did well to dig that one up from tens of thousands of fans behaving themselves I hope you didnt spend too long trying to find not alot
No digging required - Was doing the rounds on social media.  I stand by my original post that this would have been jumped on by the media if the show was on the other foot.
Maybe, but likely to cause aggro if sang in pubs shared by other fans.  Also, flies in the face of some people's claims on here that sectarianism is a one way street.  Without labouring the point, had NI fans been recorded singing 'F**k the Pope' or some other such nicety, it would be all over the media.

Hilarious. You say that we claim that sectarianism is a one way street, you offer a video of some celtic/irish fans, and then you claim there is recorded sectarian singing from OWC fans.

The no surrender cry was loud and clear during gstq at every one of the owc matches. Someone even wrote in to the belfast telegraph to complain about owc singing anti-german songs.

Where is the sectarian element in this? They are singing a song about a foreign leader who is in command of the forces that have occupied part of their country. And who decorated said forces who murdered innocent civilians in the street in McClean's hometown. It is in this capacity, not as leader of the CoE, that the supporters are ascribing to McClean the hatred of her.

On the other hand The Pope is a religious leaders and songs about him would therefore by necessity be of a sectarian nature. And the Pope's s only military intervention in Ireland was quite a long time ago if I remember correctly.

Well who belongs to which political sects in this scenario? The Queen? McClean?? The singers? Go on tell me cos I can't work it out.
You don't know if a crowd of Irish lads singing about them are Nationalist or Unionist?

I know you are being obtuse but i'll humour you nonetheless. I could maybe hazard a fairly certain guess about McClean and the Queen's political orientations,  The guys in the clip, who knows?  But I do not think that Irish Nationalisn or Unionism can be viewed as a sect. Are u saying the Queen is part of a sect? Or that McClean is? Or both?

LeoMc

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 29, 2016, 12:49:56 PM

I know you are being obtuse but i'll humour you nonetheless. I could maybe hazard a fairly certain guess about McClean and the Queen's political orientations,  The guys in the clip, who knows?  But I do not think that Irish Nationalisn or Unionism can be viewed as a sect. Are u saying the Queen is part of a sect? Or that McClean is? Or both?
So nationalism and unionism cannit be viewef as sects? Are you saying all sectarianism in NU is religious based not politically based?

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/martin-o-neill-s-words-were-humbling-and-showed-a-touch-of-class-1.2706046

Martin was the first football man who gave me an "inside track".

He would recount the religious tensions in the team, and with certain unnamed Protestant players, over the fact that he was a Catholic captaining the Northern Irish team. He would also point out that the much-praised Northern Irish defence was good not only because Pat Jennings was the goalkeeper but also because his midfield, he himself, covered so effectively.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on July 01, 2016, 08:26:49 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/martin-o-neill-s-words-were-humbling-and-showed-a-touch-of-class-1.2706046

Martin was the first football man who gave me an "inside track".

He would recount the religious tensions in the team, and with certain unnamed Protestant players, over the fact that he was a Catholic captaining the Northern Irish team. He would also point out that the much-praised Northern Irish defence was good not only because Pat Jennings was the goalkeeper but also because his midfield, he himself, covered so effectively.

Humbling words..... Very humbling  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Keyser soze

Quote from: LeoMc on June 29, 2016, 10:07:12 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 29, 2016, 12:49:56 PM

So nationalism and unionism cannit be viewef as sects? Are you saying all sectarianism in NU is religious based not politically based?

Indeed. And indeed again.  Sure this is what I said in my first post on this subject, talk about going around in circles, waste of fingerprint talking to you.

seafoid

Will Grigg is still smouldering

League One Team of the Year

GK Dean Henderson, (Shrewsbury); RB Nathan Byrne (Wigan), CB Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn), CB Dan Burn (Wigan), LB Amari'i Bell (Blackburn); MID Bradley Dack (Blackburn), MID Erhun Oztumer (Walsall), MID Nick Powell (Wigan); FWD Danny Graham (Blackburn), FWD Jack Marriott (Peterborough), FWD Will Grigg (Wigan)

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU