Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2016, 04:54:20 PM
Not at a representative level.

In that case we are talking top 30 out of less than 200.   :D
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2016, 03:56:28 PM
Ayana's was so bizarre though. I remember Ben Johnson blowing the field away at the 100m, with his arm raised. It was unheard of, and I remember being in awe of it. And then the truth came out. This sort of performance by Ayana ticked a lot of the same boxes, and the fact that she literally came from nowhere to do it, blowing apart a doped world record by so much, would make you extremely skeptical. Then you find out that Ethiopia has a shite drug testing program, that WADA scored as a zero, and allegedly phoning competitors when drug testers were coming. The whole package with her just seems off.

Mo Farah is another where his stories just don't ring true.

There are other winners who seem fine, and legit, but who knows. I prefer to believe what I see, but sometimes it's hard.
There have been over 30 races since Johnson's 9.79 which equalled or bettered 9.79s. Are they all dopers?

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 15, 2016, 04:59:48 PM
Ayana's was so bizarre though. I remember Ben Johnson blowing the field away at the 100m, with his arm raised. It was unheard of, and I remember being in awe of it. And then the truth came out. This sort of performance by Ayana ticked a lot of the same boxes, and the fact that she literally came from nowhere to do it, blowing apart a doped world record by so much, would make you extremely skeptical. Then you find out that Ethiopia has a shite drug testing program, that WADA scored as a zero, and allegedly phoning competitors when drug testers were coming. The whole package with her just seems off.

There are other winners who seem fine, and legit, but who knows. I prefer to believe what I see, but sometimes it's hard.
There have been over 30 races since Johnson's 9.79 which equalled or bettered 9.79s. Are they all dopers?

Who knows? And this is exactly the problem.

Doping me up to the rafters won't see me run 9.79. But doping a 9.90 sprinter might push him to the 9.7s or lower.

MWWSI 2017

Minder

What's the stat, of the ten fastest 100m times of all time, 9 have been juicing with Bolt the exception......?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Dinny Breen

Quote from: muppet on August 15, 2016, 05:04:31 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 15, 2016, 04:59:48 PM

Who knows? And this is exactly the problem.

Doping me up to the rafters won't see me run 9.79. But doping a 9.90 sprinter might push him to the 9.7s or lower.

SPIEGEL: Can drugs make anyone into a world record holder?

Heredia: No, that is a misapprehension: You take a couple of tablets today and tomorrow you can really fly. In reality you have to train inconceivably hard, be very talented and have a perfect team of trainers and support staff. And then it is the best drugs that make the difference. It is all a great composition, a symphony. Everything is linked together, do you understand? And drugs have a long-term effect: they ensure that you can recover, that you avoid the catabolic phases. Volleyball on the beach might be healthy, but peak athletics is not healthy. You destroy your body. Marion Jones, for example ...

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4820863#ixzz4HQ0XwkH3
#newbridgeornowhere

laoislad

What time is that girl sailing at? I thought it was 5pm but nothing on TV at the moment.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on August 15, 2016, 05:25:22 PM
What time is that girl sailing at? I thought it was 5pm but nothing on TV at the moment.

Next info at 6 Irish.

Delayed due light winds.

MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: muppet on August 15, 2016, 04:54:52 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 15, 2016, 04:52:25 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 15, 2016, 04:42:47 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 15, 2016, 04:29:38 PM
Well to be fair English was in a world final and has spent most of the year injured. Mageean medalled at european but the thing about her is she has had 2 of the last 4 years injured so if she doesn't succumb to injury again I would expect much bigger things from her. She needs to break 2 for the 800 and get her speed from it.

Any which way personally i think our world class definitions differ. You do sub 10 and in my view you're world class.

Incidentally Catriona McKiernan you have missed there. World XC silver medalist multiple times , 2:21 odd marathoner and european xc winner.

Yes Catriona was world class, and plenty of others (Ronnie Delaney for example). My list wan't meant to be exclusive. As for English, if he made a World Final then fair enough.

But to me world class is not top 30. That would put Leitrim as a 'top class' Gaelic Football team. Are Ireland or Northern Ireland world class soccer teams?

I see what you are saying but top 30 in the world in any of those distances given how many people compete in them is in my view phenomenal.

I agree completely, but it isn't my definition of 'world class'. I looked up the dictionary definition of 'world class' and it is quite subjective.

Exactly. I would view world class differently but each to their own.

muppet

You can watch Ireland in the 49er race here and then use it to watch Annalise IF it goes ahead.

Seems to be 12 knots of wind now.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Wind has picked up apparently. That suits.

Should be able to watch it here when it starts: http://static.sportresult.com/federations/isaf/UnityData/Sailviewer3D/WebPlayer_solg.html?event=135&pm=3d&v=104

A 5th guarantees bronze. Lots of other permutations, but she can't finish worse than 5th overall and can just about get gold if she wins this race (needs the Dutch girl to finish 5 place behind her though. Looks like 2nd to 4th will be her likely final position, hopefully not 4th again.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

moysider

The Polish girl that won the hammer with a WR eats 9 eggs for breakfast.
Imagine what her full Irish would look like!

BennyHarp

Did anyone see Mark Cavandish take out the guy in the cycling this evening. I know next to nothing about track cycling but it looked careless at best and extremely cynical at worst. Surely there should be some sort of sanction for causing numerous falls like that. Maybe a black card or something?? The guy cycled on like nothing happened and won silver.
That was never a square ball!!

moysider

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 16, 2016, 12:51:21 AM
Did anyone see Mark Cavandish take out the guy in the cycling this evening. I know next to nothing about track cycling but it looked careless and best and extremely cynical at worst. Surely there should be some sort of sanction for causing numerous falls like that. Maybe a black card or something?? The guy cycled on like nothing happened and won silver.

He did apologise and the Italian he took down got back and won gold. I don t think it was deliberate or anything. You just could not do that without ending up on the deck 9 times out of 10 yourself.

moysider

Events delayed now because of heavy rain. Including the 110 meter hurdles. But they allowed the first heat of the hurdles to go ahead in the worst of it and a quick Jamaican had a nightmare - probably because of the conditions. How is that fair either?