2016 Summer Olympics Rio

Started by DrinkingHarp, May 24, 2016, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I would say Mageean and English are world class but neither got to olympic finals. They're still in the top 20 or 30 of the world.

107 over the years but at any one time what is the most number of athletes capable of sub 10? Not 107 or next to near it i suspect.

HiMucker

107th fastest man ever over 100m is not considered world class?  Have I got that right or missed something :o

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 15, 2016, 04:17:29 PM
I would say Mageean and English are world class but neither got to olympic finals. They're still in the top 20 or 30 of the world.

107 over the years but at any one time what is the most number of athletes capable of sub 10? Not 107 or next to near it i suspect.

That's probably where I'd disagree. Eamon Coughlan, Sonia, John Treacy were world class to me. They proved themselves at world level and medalled, multiple times. Even an athlete just making an Olympic or World final, I would probably accept as world class.
MWWSI 2017

Declan

imtommygunn

Well to be fair English was in a world final and has spent most of the year injured. Mageean medalled at european but the thing about her is she has had 2 of the last 4 years injured so if she doesn't succumb to injury again I would expect much bigger things from her. She needs to break 2 for the 800 and get her speed from it.

Any which way personally i think our world class definitions differ. You do sub 10 and in my view you're world class.

Incidentally Catriona McKiernan you have missed there. World XC silver medalist multiple times , 2:21 odd marathoner and european xc winner.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 15, 2016, 03:51:33 PM
Yeah it's not that big a stretch. Interesting that he did it from lane 8. First time that has been done since 1924 apparently...

I love the athletics but it is sad that these days any significant record etc will automatically be questioned. I'd like to give Ayala the benefit of the doubt to be honest as well. just because the person who's record she beat was doped doesn't mean that she dopes. It's an easy conclusion to make. Of course I could be completely wrong.

The more I read on Farah the less convinced I am. On Dibaba too which is a pity as she is a fantastic athlete. They are raising questions on themselves though by associating with suspect people. I am not sure Ayala or the dutch guy have. (Be they guilty or not)
Mo is not credible.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 15, 2016, 04:29:38 PM
Well to be fair English was in a world final and has spent most of the year injured. Mageean medalled at european but the thing about her is she has had 2 of the last 4 years injured so if she doesn't succumb to injury again I would expect much bigger things from her. She needs to break 2 for the 800 and get her speed from it.

Any which way personally i think our world class definitions differ. You do sub 10 and in my view you're world class.

Incidentally Catriona McKiernan you have missed there. World XC silver medalist multiple times , 2:21 odd marathoner and european xc winner.

Yes Catriona was world class, and plenty of others (Ronnie Delaney for example). My list wan't meant to be exclusive. As for English, if he made a World Final then fair enough.

But to me world class is not top 30. That would put Leitrim as a 'top class' Gaelic Football team. Are Ireland or Northern Ireland world class soccer teams?
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on August 15, 2016, 04:42:47 PM

Yes Catriona was world class, and plenty of others (Ronnie Delaney for example). My list wan't meant to be exclusive. As for English, if he made a World Final then fair enough.

But to me world class is not top 30. That would put Leitrim as a 'top class' Gaelic Football team. Are Ireland or Northern Ireland world class soccer teams?

Ah here. There's a difference between being ranked 30 out of 32, and ranked 30 out of 30,000, or 300,000 or 3,000,000

seafoid

There are more than 33 athletes. Leitrim is a non sequitur.

seafoid

It is all going tits up for the OCI between the tickets and the boxing.

bennydorano

imtommygunn

I see what you are saying but top 30 in the world in any of those distances given how many people compete in them is in my view phenomenal.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2016, 04:47:06 PM

Ah here. There's a difference between being ranked 30 out of 32, and ranked 30 out of 30,000, or 300,000 or 3,000,000

There are a hell of a lot more than 32 teams in Gaelic Football.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Not at a representative level.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 15, 2016, 04:52:25 PM

I see what you are saying but top 30 in the world in any of those distances given how many people compete in them is in my view phenomenal.

I agree completely, but it isn't my definition of 'world class'. I looked up the dictionary definition of 'world class' and it is quite subjective.
MWWSI 2017