Food and drink you can't stand

Started by seafoid, April 15, 2016, 07:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThroughTheLaces

Garlic.
Mushrooms.
Garlic mushrooms.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Beffs

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on April 16, 2016, 12:07:33 AM
Garlic.
Mushrooms.
Garlic mushrooms.

Had the worst case of food poisoning in my life, thanks to a plate of garlic mushrooms. God knows why......they're not exactly raw oysters, now are they?

Pity, as I really like 'em, but I haven't been able to even look at them since.

illdecide

Liver and currants/raisins are about it. Ohh hold on Coffee and wine can't stomach them. Not fussed on olives and wouldn't eat kidney...WTF, like who would. That's about it...would destroy anything else that comes my way.

Can't believe how many people dislike mushrooms.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: Beffs on April 16, 2016, 12:16:47 AM
Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on April 16, 2016, 12:07:33 AM
Garlic.
Mushrooms.
Garlic mushrooms.

Had the worst case of food poisoning in my life, thanks to a plate of garlic mushrooms. God knows why......they're not exactly raw oysters, now are they?

Pity, as I really like 'em, but I haven't been able to even look at them since.

One bad experience can turn you off for life.  The woman is the same with prawns, had very bad food poisoning with them, still eats them occasionally but needless to say when we cook them they're absolutely cremated to ensure not repeat of the past experience!

Add to my list rice pudding, not a massive fan of cheese either, will eat it alright but do without it if possible, on burgers etc.

As somebody said its funny how the pallete changes, the brother 'hated' onions for about 25 years until he discovered he liked them.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Beffs

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on April 16, 2016, 01:43:57 AM
As somebody said its funny how the pallete changes, the brother 'hated' onions for about 25 years until he discovered he liked them.

A lot of the baggage associated with the foods that we hate, is all down to how they are cooked and prepared imo.

Take Brussels sprouts....one of the most loathed foods out there. (Am v surprised they have yet to get a mention here.) Like most Irish mammies of her day, mine boiled the crap out of them. The end result was a nasty, bitter, smelly globule of congealed green gunge, that all of her kids hated.

My sister on the other hand, chops & dices them finely, covers them in a light sprinkling of black pepper and extra virgin olive oil - the really good stuff, from the Italian deli down the road. She then mixes in some garlic, rosemary & pancetta ham & saute's the lot for about 5 minutes. The end result is light years away from the hated green goo, we were force fed as kids.

ziggysego

Mushrooms
Broad beans

Onions play havoc with my stomach, but I love them raw. So if I know I'm not going anywhere over the weekend, I cut loose....  in many sense of the word
Testing Accessibility

seafoid

Quote from: Beffs on April 16, 2016, 02:08:44 AM
Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on April 16, 2016, 01:43:57 AM

A lot of the baggage associated with the foods that we hate, is all down to how they are cooked and prepared imo.

Take Brussels sprouts....one of the most loathed foods out there. (Am v surprised they have yet to get a mention here.) Like most Irish mammies of her day, mine boiled the crap out of them. The end result was a nasty, bitter, smelly globule of congealed green gunge, that all of her kids hated.

My sister on the other hand, chops & dices them finely, covers them in a light sprinkling of black pepper and extra virgin olive oil - the really good stuff, from the Italian deli down the road. She then mixes in some garlic, rosemary & pancetta ham & saute's the lot for about 5 minutes. The end result is light years away from the hated green goo, we were force fed as kids.
I still hate Irish style sprouts and cauliflower but I worked in India for a while and we used to get the dabba wallas delivering lunches and one day they delivered  a sprout salad with spices that was on a different planet compared to the carvery version. I never imagined them tasting that good. One of the fellas in the office was into his food and I remember once he said "In Europe they boil the stuff to death and then add salt and they call that vegetables"

My sister was working in a local pub about 20 years ago and they did lunches. The boss was making lasagne and my sister noticed that she didn't have any tomatoes in the recipe. she pointed this out and was told that Athenry wasn't ready for tomatoes in the lasagne.

Eamonnca1

I once went for an Indian feed in Rusholme (where I used to eat regularly) and got the worst case of food poisoning I've ever had. Got ambulanced to hospital with it.  Couldn't look at Indian food for a good 13 years from it.  Then I was working for a company last year that gave a free lunch once a month. Turned out to be Indian. I had to take it - and lo and behold it was great stuff. So I'm back on the Indian food now, and the company where I'm working serves good Indian food most days, so I have it about once a week so I don't burn out on it.

gawa316

Tuna (can't be good eating something that smells that bad) most other seafood actually as well.
All eggs apart from scrambled especially boiled eggs, if it smells like shit no ta
Didn't eat any veg til I met the wife but still sound touch boiled stuff especially cabbage, sprouts
Spaghetti sauce
Most beans
Chicken on the bone apart from buffalo wings for some reason
Cheese although don't mind it melted
Avocado
Bloody Mary's
Barry McGuigan nettle crisps
Those burger bite yokes, remember being out for a Sunday spin near rossnowlagh and boking them all over the back of the car, never touched them since

gallsman

Pickled onion crisps. Could never understand in school how people could eat something that smelled that bad.

Got awfully hammered on holiday on Southern Comfort when I was about 17. Since then the smell of it is enough to make me retch.

seafoid

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 15, 2016, 11:44:47 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 15, 2016, 11:21:36 PM
Boiled vegetables
Carvery lunches

You obviously haven't had the carvery in the Canal Court or the Carrickdale. Some feed.
Do they show GAA videos in the Canal Court? 

ziggy90

Quote from: hardstation on April 15, 2016, 11:01:00 PM
Not much love for mushrooms on here. Wait til the Monaghan lads see this.

Or lamb either? The sheepstealers won't be happy.
Can't stand the smell of heated cheese.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

general_lee

I actually hate fussy eaters - nothing worse than being sat opposite some **** that picks through their meal cos they don't like onions mushrooms etc. Won't kill ye ya ****. Half the planet starving and these plonkers going through the plate with a fine tooth comb

lenny

Must be in the minority here but I only like vegetables if they are boiled (or roasted, fried) until they are really soft. I could never understand how people dislike brussel sprouts in the traditional boiled way as I always loved them and still do.

stew

Quote from: general_lee on April 16, 2016, 09:59:35 AM
I actually hate fussy eaters - nothing worse than being sat opposite some **** that picks through their meal cos they don't like onions mushrooms etc. Won't kill ye ya ****. Half the planet starving and these plonkers going through the plate with a fine tooth comb

Right so they should just shut up and eat food they despise so as not to offend your sensibilities?

It is all about you general and in fairness to the fussy eaters general, I doubt anyone gives a fiddlers fart about your opinion of them, also your argument about half the world starving has absolutely no bearing on people who do not like to eat certain foods, it is their right and you need to catch yourself on.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.