The Battle for Fermanagh and South Tyrone

Started by Ulick, April 19, 2010, 10:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Like eveyone else here I thought McKinney was laughable and will no doubt be wiped out when the votes are counted. There's only so many times you can hear the same old cliches like "shared future", "holding hands together", "brand new image for a brand new Ireland" and such nonsense being rolled out before you want to be sick.

As an unashamed republican, I would be sad to see anyone representing the tories being elected to the same seat held by Bobby Sands. The fact that the stoops refused to agree to a FST/S.Belfast pact that would serve their own interests; and that they would rather see a conservative hold Fermanagh/South Tyrone than an Irish Republican in what is a majority nationalist area says it all about their loyalty to their own potential constituents in both FST & S Belfast.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Doogie Browser

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 19, 2010, 04:50:28 PM
...and while we're on the subject it is a joke Barry McElduff has to watch on as Pat Doherty is parachuted in from Donegal.  Barry is as capable of fighting our corner as Pat Doherty... in fact more in touch with West Tyrone. 
Pat Doc has been MP for almost 10yrs now and an MLA 12yrs for West Tyrone and has done sterling work for his constituents.  Barry McElduff whilst a great lobbyist has awful media skills which unfortunately is a pre-requisite for most senior politicians these days. 

Zapatista

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 19, 2010, 04:54:48 PM

As an unashamed republican, I would be sad to see anyone representing the tories being elected to the same seat held by Bobby Sands.

Bobby Sands didn't give a f**k about that seat. he knew only to well that the seat meant nothing. The support of the people was the only imporant factor.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 19, 2010, 04:56:14 PM
...and while we're on the subject it is a joke Barry McElduff has to watch on as Pat Doherty is parachuted in from Donegal.  Barry is as capable of fighting our corner as Pat Doherty... in fact more in touch with West Tyrone. 
Pat Doc has been MP for almost 10yrs now and an MLA 12yrs for West Tyrone and has done sterling work for his constituents.  Barry McElduff whilst a great lobbyist has awful media skills which unfortunately is a pre-requisite for most senior politicians these days.

Barry McElduff has done more for West Tyrone than Pat will ever do!

Nally Stand

Quote from: Zapatista on April 19, 2010, 05:02:56 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 19, 2010, 04:54:48 PM

As an unashamed republican, I would be sad to see anyone representing the tories being elected to the same seat held by Bobby Sands.

Bobby Sands didn't give a f**k about that seat. he knew only to well that the seat meant nothing. The support of the people was the only imporant factor.

Bobby Sands was not in a position to do constituency work. The people knew this and 30,000 people still came out on polling day for him. I am making the point that it would (and thanks to stoops, probably will) be a sickening blow to see a conservative sitting as the MP for the area for this reason.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Doogie Browser

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 19, 2010, 05:07:18 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 19, 2010, 04:56:14 PM

Barry McElduff has done more for West Tyrone than Pat will ever do!
In your opinion obviously.

longrunsthefox

Feckitt

Zapatista

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 19, 2010, 05:08:33 PM
Bobby Sands was not in a position to do constituency work. The people knew this and 30,000 people still came out on polling day for him. I am making the point that it would (and thanks to stoops, probably will) be a sickening blow to see a conservative sitting as the MP for the area for this reason.

Unfortunately we can only judge Sands on his views before he died. He would not have done any constituency work as he did not want the seat. His election was in order to prove beyond any doubt that the hungerstrikers had support in the communities. The election was a tool used to support the hungerstike. The seat was meaningless and had he survived would never have thought of the seat again. He did not want nor care for a seat in westminster. The same can be applied to the Dail seat.

unitedireland

The real battle is for the saving of jobs in Quinn insurance. Without Quinn insurance fermanagh is a unemployment black spot.

omagh_gael

I'm in Enniskillen at the minute and it was sickening to see the DUP office plastered with Rodney Connors posters. Really hammered home the sectarian head count agenda currently in operation. So much for proper politics in the north.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Zapatista on April 19, 2010, 05:21:55 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 19, 2010, 05:08:33 PM

Unfortunately we can only judge Sands on his views before he died. He would not have done any constituency work as he did not want the seat. His election was in order to prove beyond any doubt that the hungerstrikers had support in the communities. The election was a tool used to support the hungerstike. The seat was meaningless and had he survived would never have thought of the seat again. He did not want nor care for a seat in westminster. The same can be applied to the Dail seat.

No one would contend that his reason for standing was to prove that support for the hunger strikers was there and to put pressure on the Thatcher government. I again make the point that as this was a seat held by Bobby Sands I would hate to see it being held by the tories. This is for symbolic reasons and reasons related to pride in the hunger strikers. So I really dont understand what your objection is to my post.

Zapatista

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 19, 2010, 05:58:40 PM
No one would contend that his reason for standing was to prove that support for the hunger strikers was there and to put pressure on the Thatcher government. I again make the point that as this was a seat held by Bobby Sands I would hate to see it being held by the tories. This is for symbolic reasons and reasons related to pride in the hunger strikers. So I really dont understand what your objection is to my post.

I understand your reasons I just think that it gives to much credit to the real value of the seat.

I'm a a little shocked at how much emphasis has been put on this seat over the past week or so. I think the seat is a non issue. The person holding and using the seat is practicing token politics. I understand the need to compete for te seat and all seats in this election but i don't understand how it will make a difference who wins it. From SF's point of view if they increase on their vote the election should be seen as a success even if they don't take the seat. If it is a tory it just goes to prove even further how fruitless westminster elections are for the Irish.

I think attacking the sdlp for loseing Bobby Sand's seat gives the seat even more false credit. I don't care who takes it as long as Republicans can increase support. The assembly is the onl show in town. Hopefully in the near future te dail will be too but westminster is a lost cause.

Another reason is that I don't do romance very well.

South Down is a big one as a party leader is running and she actually thinks it will make a difference if she is elected. By doing this it will only make a difference if she is not elected.

Ulick

Quote from: Zapatista on April 19, 2010, 06:22:30 PM

I understand your reasons I just think that it gives to much credit to the real value of the seat.

I'm a a little shocked at how much emphasis has been put on this seat over the past week or so. I think the seat is a non issue. The person holding and using the seat is practicing token politics. I understand the need to compete for te seat and all seats in this election but i don't understand how it will make a difference who wins it. From SF's point of view if they increase on their vote the election should be seen as a success even if they don't take the seat. If it is a tory it just goes to prove even further how fruitless westminster elections are for the Irish.

Zap their strategy is to centralise as much political power as possible in this country not Britain. That is why SF want the seat to stay here. The seat in itself is practically worthless but add it to the other abstentionist seats, devolved administration, future demands for more control of fiscal powers and it's a big f**k you to the NIO and British establishment (and anyone else who thinks Westminster should have any say in this country).

FermPundit

The politics show was awful to watch yesterday as I actually think Fearghal McKinney has the potential to be a pretty good politican once he gained some experience. He was thrown in right at the end deep yesterday. I'm not sure who's idea to was, but it was a PR disaster for the SDLP.

Given that there is only one "Unionist" candidate running, it's likely that the SDLP will take an awul hammering in this constituency with nearly all Catholic votes going to Sinn Fein. It's sad times when the main objective of the DUP/UUP is to simply taking the seat back into Protestant hands. What's the point in them even existing as a political parties if they are unprepared to stand for election?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.