Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Ronnie on November 15, 2020, 08:02:25 AM
I see Labour in UK pushing for anti-vac censorship law to stop idiots posting misinformation.  Interesting.

Wouldn't that actually further these peoples thinking though?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I see Labour in UK pushing for anti-vac censorship law to stop idiots posting misinformation.  Interesting.

always get very uncomfortable with the word censorship

LCohen

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 15, 2020, 09:41:58 AM

Nothing to be uncomfortable with here though?

If it were proposed that newspaper publishers could not be prosecuted if they knowingly printed material that made false claims about a vaccine presumably you would have a problem with that?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: LCohen on November 15, 2020, 01:48:30 PM

If it were proposed that newspaper publishers could not be prosecuted if they knowingly printed material that made false claims about a vaccine presumably you would have a problem with that?

The difficulty is that Anne McCloskey for example stood in Derry(and a lot of others) few months back saying that the information on death certs was misleading and being distorted ie the 28 days  metric.

People were calling for that argument to be censored then, it has now been openly accepted as true.

We dont know enough about the vaccine, until we do people should be allowed to voice their concerns

LCohen

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 15, 2020, 08:33:03 PM

The difficulty is that Anne McCloskey for example stood in Derry(and a lot of others) few months back saying that the information on death certs was misleading and being distorted ie the 28 days  metric.

People were calling for that argument to be censored then, it has now been openly accepted as true.

We dont know enough about the vaccine, until we do people should be allowed to voice their concerns

Where did you hear that people would not be able to voice their concerns?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: LCohen on November 15, 2020, 08:43:20 PM

here-censorship is that is it not?

LCohen

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 15, 2020, 08:48:32 PM

There is nothing in the Labour proposal that would stop you expressing your genuine concern unless the social media platform could prove what you were saying was false in which the social media platform (effectively the publisher) would be bound by the same law as print and broadcast media.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: LCohen on November 15, 2020, 08:53:28 PM

There is nothing in the Labour proposal that would stop you expressing your genuine concern unless the social media platform could prove what you were saying was false in which the social media platform (effectively the publisher) would be bound by the same law as print and broadcast media.

Thats the problem, as I have said, what we were told was false 3 months ago is now true.

Censorship is something we should all be wary of, especially in this country

LCohen

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 15, 2020, 08:56:13 PM

Thats the problem, as I have said, what we were told was false 3 months ago is now true.

I know nothing about the example you cite. Perhaps more detail?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: LCohen on November 15, 2020, 08:59:49 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 15, 2020, 08:56:13 PM

I know nothing about the example you cite. Perhaps more detail?

The 28 days?

Ronnie

"the 28 day metric" as you call it wasn't false or a lie.  The public's perception was "distorted" as you say.  Not a good example at all.  Censorship is a different argument.   Self censorship/state censorship/censorship by public pressure etc etc.  Can of worms going back to day dot irrespective of Tiktok, Insta etc etc

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Ronnie on November 15, 2020, 09:18:51 PM
"the 28 day metric" as you call it wasn't false or a lie.  The public's perception was "distorted" as you say.  Not a good example at all.  Censorship is a different argument.   Self censorship/state censorship/censorship by public pressure etc etc.  Can of worms going back to day dot irrespective of Tiktok, Insta etc etc

Not sure I follow.

Anne McCloskey and others stated that if we died of a car crash within 28 days of positive covid result our death would go down as covid. There was a rush to defend the  PHS death figures and then a quiet reluctance to admit it was true and that and our figures are statisically skewed.

It is only  an example about how we should tread carefully in a very fluid situation. I cant find any reason to support censorship. But im open to persausion.

Ronnie

The metric NEVER changed.  Your (and much of the public's) did.  Very important to read facts before commenting.  There's a reason behind the metric.  For example I might drive my car head first into a wall because I caught COVID 19 and don't want to infect my daughter who will die if she catches it.  Sorry to be blunt and dramatic but the misinformation pedalled scares the bejaysus out of me.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Ronnie on November 15, 2020, 09:40:58 PM
The metric NEVER changed.  Your (and much of the public's) did.  Very important to read facts before commenting.  There's a reason behind the metric.  For example I might drive my car head first into a wall because I caught COVID 19 and don't want to infect my daughter who will die if she catches it.  Sorry to be blunt and dramatic but the misinformation pedalled scares the bejaysus out of me.

ok