Leinster Championship 2020

Started by thejuice, November 01, 2020, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on November 21, 2020, 09:15:41 PM
Donegal are fairly being talked up. What are we basing this on?
"Great white hope" syndrome?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

Quote from: sid waddell on November 21, 2020, 09:30:03 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 21, 2020, 09:18:05 PM
I also wonder that. They're obviously very good but Tyrone had a chance to beat them. Tyrone wouldn't have the chance to beat Dublin I expect.  Donegal post Ulster haven't done it this past few years. To go from not making a breakthrough to beating Dublin would be a massive step.
Tyrone beat Dublin this year

Yes it was only a league match but Dublin are usually pretty relentless all through the year

Tyrone are a good, seasoned team who had reached five of the previous seven All-Ireland semi-finals, and therefore it was hardly a surprise that they gave Donegal a close match, particularly in a knockout Ulster Championship first round match in which both teams had little football under their belts

It was the sort of match in which any sort of win was massive

Attitude is what Donegal would need most of all against Dublin, they have to believe with every fibre of their being that they are going to control the match and win

Meath completely froze tonight, the heads dropped very quickly, I can't remember who it was but there was a Mayo player in  House Of Pain who described the feeling when Kerry got the drop on them early in the 2006 final, it was like their legs collectively turned to jelly and their brains turned to mush, they were literally shaking

Kerry used to routinely pummel teams in Croke Park in the 2000s, but when they met their match they could be stood up to and beaten

Dublin can too, but you have to take your chances

You are now a big mental barrier for the Leinster teams.

Yes Tyrone are very good but you always put them away when it counts.

Perversely imo one of the best things to happen under gavin was the beating  by Donegal. It hardened the mentality. If you could be beat in tight games like Kerry then that would have happened last year I suspect.

tonto1888

For me it was watching them against us and Tyrone. Also thought that Dublin looked a bit vulnerable and were missing some players. After tonight I don't think there's any stopping them

sid waddell

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 21, 2020, 09:49:46 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 21, 2020, 09:30:03 PM
I also wonder that. They're obviously very good but Tyrone had a chance to beat them. Tyrone wouldn't have the chance to beat Dublin I expect.  Donegal post Ulster haven't done it this past few years. To go from not making a breakthrough to beating Dublin would be a massive step.
Tyrone beat Dublin this year

Yes it was only a league match but Dublin are usually pretty relentless all through the year

Tyrone are a good, seasoned team who had reached five of the previous seven All-Ireland semi-finals, and therefore it was hardly a surprise that they gave Donegal a close match, particularly in a knockout Ulster Championship first round match in which both teams had little football under their belts

It was the sort of match in which any sort of win was massive

Attitude is what Donegal would need most of all against Dublin, they have to believe with every fibre of their being that they are going to control the match and win

Meath completely froze tonight, the heads dropped very quickly, I can't remember who it was but there was a Mayo player in  House Of Pain who described the feeling when Kerry got the drop on them early in the 2006 final, it was like their legs collectively turned to jelly and their brains turned to mush, they were literally shaking

Kerry used to routinely pummel teams in Croke Park in the 2000s, but when they met their match they could be stood up to and beaten

Dublin can too, but you have to take your chances

You are now a big mental barrier for the Leinster teams.

Yes Tyrone are very good but you always put them away when it counts.

Perversely imo one of the best things to happen under gavin was the beating  by Donegal. It hardened the mentality. If you could be beat in tight games like Kerry then that would have happened last year I suspect.
I don't think Donegal would have anything like the mental fear of Dublin that Meath do

It's a bit like New Zealand in rugby, most teams will collapse against them because mentally they're bowled over but there are certain teams which have the mentality to do a number on them when it counts, like France on a couple of memorable occasions

I do think Donegal have the ability, whether they have the tactical know how, the mentality or the legs is another thing, but they're one of counties which have the DNA in them, the tradition, to just not give a f**k about anybody's reputation and turn anybody over - they're a wild card who could do anything

imtommygunn

I agree on the fear thing with Donegal. They don't have the baggage of year in year out defeats Leinster teams do plus while 2014 was a while ago there are still a few of those players about that will help.

If Dublin can be beat this year is the year with more knockout games. Super eights played into theirs, and any stronger teams, hands. Donegal to me though would still be a bit short. I think one you mention "legs" might count against them. Dublin maybe too powerful on that front though Donegal improving there.

I honestly always felt Mayo would maybe have beat Dublin at some point during the five in a row if they'd have met at semi final stage or an earlier knockout round.

Captain Obvious

Win tomorrow it will be three Ulster titles in a row for Donegal something Jim McGuinness or Brian McEniff couldn't do. However Donegal under Declan Bonner have flattered to deceive in the All Ireland series.

larryin89

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 21, 2020, 10:19:48 PM
I agree on the fear thing with Donegal. They don't have the baggage of year in year out defeats Leinster teams do plus while 2014 was a while ago there are still a few of those players about that will help.

If Dublin can be beat this year is the year with more knockout games. Super eights played into theirs, and any stronger teams, hands. Donegal to me though would still be a bit short. I think one you mention "legs" might count against them. Dublin maybe too powerful on that front though Donegal improving there.

I honestly always felt Mayo would maybe have beat Dublin at some point during the five in a row if they'd have met at semi final stage or an earlier knockout round.

We did in 2015 semi  and got beat by 8 points if my memory serves me right in the replay
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2020, 09:31:23 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 21, 2020, 09:04:24 PM
Class acts. Just absolutely miles ahead but its down to the rest to catch up
Go away Jarlath.
The rest haven't got 1.4m population nor around 40% of all Irish economic activity

It's up to the rest to catch up. Dublin can only play their best 15. A player needs to condition himself to a level and follow a game plan. Dublin have it down to a tee!

I would say that there are better natural footballers in other counties, it's up to these counties to develop, get the right conditioning and game plan.

After that it's luck! I'm bored of hearing they get this and have sooooo much money, if a county team is committed and good enough they'll compete.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Are Dublin fans not bored waltzing through Leinster so easily?

Yes it's probably great your team is winning, but no matches are in any way competitive. No close games, no hard hitting, no end to end, edge of your seat stuff. You need games to get the excitement going, get the blood pumping

The All Ireland is the same way bar the odd close battle every 3/4 years.

Yes, Dublin are great at what they do, but I am so bored watching any of their matches. There's no point to it anymore.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 21, 2020, 10:59:46 PM
Go away Jarlath.
The rest haven't got 1.4m population nor around 40% of all Irish economic activity

It's up to the rest to catch up. Dublin can only play their best 15. A player needs to condition himself to a level and follow a game plan. Dublin have it down to a tee!

I would say that there are better natural footballers in other counties, it's up to these counties to develop, get the right conditioning and game plan.

After that it's luck! I'm bored of hearing they get this and have sooooo much money, if a county team is committed and good enough they'll compete.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"

From the Bunker

We are basing it on Kerry being out of the championship.

On Mayo being Mayo.

On Cork being a 3rd division team.

On Tipp and Cavan being still in the championship by default.

There is no one else to talk up!  :-\

Armagh18

Go away Jarlath.
You can cry about how unfair it is or you can grow a pair of balls, remove your head from your hole and do something about it. At the end of the day its 15 vs 15 and they are only human. Meath were beat mentally before a ball was kicked.

JoG2

Tyrone had a chance as the weather conditions made the game more of a lottery than it should have been. Serious talent in all sectors. The new recruits appear to be fairly fearless. Of course Dublin and Croke Pk knockout football will be a serious leveller.

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 21, 2020, 11:27:18 PM
Go away Jarlath.
You can cry about how unfair it is or you can grow a pair of balls, remove your head from your hole and do something about it. At the end of the day its 15 vs 15 and they are only human. Meath were beat mentally before a ball was kicked.

Revisit in the cold light of day. Cliché overload.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 21, 2020, 11:27:18 PM
Go away Jarlath.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"