Greencastle Gold

Started by Hereiam, November 28, 2017, 11:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sensethetone

Quote from: screenexile on November 29, 2017, 10:24:26 AM
As long as they keep it in the ugly Tyrone part of the Sperrins I'm happy enough. . . if they try to come near beautiful Derry I imagine they will have a war on their hands!! The Sixtowns Community Group are organised and will fight tooth and nail against it should they try to!!!

Didn't stop the windmill at lake Patrick.. lol

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: southtyronegael on November 29, 2017, 12:04:13 AM
i think its a disgrace how we let these leeches come in to suck the country dry. look at the vulture funds from america and canada buying up distressed debt and property. 200billion worth they now own. and now we have fuckin gold diggers from canada? the whole lot of them should be chased and keep their grotty, capitalist hands off our lands.

you didn't see any Irish companies wanting to develop the opportunity which does create jobs, nor did you see any Irish companies or businesses buying up the property either.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Mongander on November 28, 2017, 03:53:09 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on November 28, 2017, 03:29:25 PM
b**tard trying to package a gold find  as a good news story  what will the spindoctors think of next

Mongander  if you are part of a Lobby group . please declare your interest

As anyone with half a brain, or even anyone who has access to the internet will tell you, gold mining is one of the most toxic processes in the world.
There are NO examples of clean/environmentally friendly gold mines in the world.
The only thing universally associated with this industry is pollution and destruction.

I would have thought that someone with ties to Mayo, after all the people there have suffered at the hands of Shell, would have understood the threat of mass industrialisation and the theft of natural resources by foreign investors.

I live locally - that is my interest.
I am environmentally aware - that is my interest.
I do not want to see my football club destroyed due to a toxic gold mine less than a kilometre up the road from it - that is my interest.
I want to protect my community and local area - that is my interest.
I want to see my children and grandchildren live and prosper here, without the threat of cyanide, arsenic, or any other poisons hanging over their heads - that is my interest.
I do not want to see Ireland's natural resources being stolen to profit a foreign company or the crown estate - that is my interest.
I believe that Tyrone would be better suited to the promotion of sustainable tourism rather than the proliferation of toxic gold mines or monstrous wind farms - that is my interest.

Is that enough rosnarun, or should I continue?

Love Tyrone and Ireland is Not for Sale are two other Facebook pages you can check out for more info.

#NoToxicGold
#DalradianOutOfIreland
#SaveOurSperrins

Fair play Mongander

I can see how this could be potentially very decisive in the area though with some people no doubt due to make a tidy few pound of their land.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Tyrdub

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 29, 2017, 10:50:18 AM
Quote from: Mongander on November 28, 2017, 03:53:09 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on November 28, 2017, 03:29:25 PM
b**tard trying to package a gold find  as a good news story  what will the spindoctors think of next

Mongander  if you are part of a Lobby group . please declare your interest

As anyone with half a brain, or even anyone who has access to the internet will tell you, gold mining is one of the most toxic processes in the world.
There are NO examples of clean/environmentally friendly gold mines in the world.
The only thing universally associated with this industry is pollution and destruction.

I would have thought that someone with ties to Mayo, after all the people there have suffered at the hands of Shell, would have understood the threat of mass industrialisation and the theft of natural resources by foreign investors.

I live locally - that is my interest.
I am environmentally aware - that is my interest.
I do not want to see my football club destroyed due to a toxic gold mine less than a kilometre up the road from it - that is my interest.
I want to protect my community and local area - that is my interest.
I want to see my children and grandchildren live and prosper here, without the threat of cyanide, arsenic, or any other poisons hanging over their heads - that is my interest.
I do not want to see Ireland's natural resources being stolen to profit a foreign company or the crown estate - that is my interest.
I believe that Tyrone would be better suited to the promotion of sustainable tourism rather than the proliferation of toxic gold mines or monstrous wind farms - that is my interest.

Is that enough rosnarun, or should I continue?

Love Tyrone and Ireland is Not for Sale are two other Facebook pages you can check out for more info.

#NoToxicGold
#DalradianOutOfIreland
#SaveOurSperrins

Fair play Mongander

I can see how this could be potentially very decisive in the area though with some people no doubt due to make a tidy few pound of their land.

and that is exactly what has happened, some people have made an absolute killing, enough to keep them and their families safe for years to come. But at what expense to everyone else

ziggysego

Quote from: Dire Ear on November 29, 2017, 10:21:15 AM
Ziggy , what kind of percentage are in favour, against, and trying to keep out of it?  Roughly, in your opinion?

In my own opinion, the sizeable majority of the Greencastle population and surrounding areas are strongly against the Gold Mine and Cyanide Processing Planet in Greencastle.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: screenexile on November 29, 2017, 10:24:26 AM
As long as they keep it in the ugly Tyrone part of the Sperrins I'm happy enough. . . if they try to come near beautiful Derry I imagine they will have a war on their hands!! The Sixtowns Community Group are organised and will fight tooth and nail against it should they try to!!!

Well get organised screenexile. https://www.facebook.com/SaveOurSperrins/posts/501679306834909
Testing Accessibility

Zazz

I would like to know the thoughts of anyone opposed to the gold mining plans if they can answer the following?

Do you have gold jewellery? Things like rings or necklaces?

Do you have any gold teeth fillings?

Do you have any investments or pension plans which are put into the global price of gold.

Do you have any electronics? Nearly everything with a circuit board these days contains trace amounts of gold.

If your answer to any of the questions above is yes, then get rid of them. Get rid of your engagement or wedding ring, bracelets & watches. Go to your dentist to get your filling replaced with something that isn't gold. Approach your financial advisor or fiduciary and tell them to reinvest your portfolio in something that isn't gold. The modern mobile phone today contains about one American dollar of gold, so get rid of it along with your laptop, television, washing machine and more. In fact you should probably get rid of your car too as almost all cars made in the last few decades will not only have circuit boards but things like heat insulation in some cars also contain gold as well. So put them in the bin. Better yet take the electronic stuff to a local recycling centre that takes care of electronic disposal, as throwing these things in bins just take up space in landfill with other toxins like lead leaking from them and going into the water supply. You do know this? I hope you do because the word cyanide already triggers you. And even better take the likes of gold jewellery to a local jewellers or one of those Cash My Gold places you see advertised and sell it to them. With the money you get, send all of it as a donation to a charity that looks after people affected in places which have had gold mining operations that often feature in SOS and GCV propaganda.

If your answer to any of the above questions is yes, but you are not going to stop using your mobile or wear a 9ct gold ring etc, then you are a hypocrite. A stinking full of sh1t hypocrite. And also a NIMBY, and not those NIMBYs that sometimes have a point, but a fully blown NIMBY who is happy to share and show videos of places around the world in or around gold mines that are at least  claimed to be destroyed because of gold extraction, but is happy enough to wear, invest or use gold that have come from these mines. It is a stench of do as I say don't do as I do. The people of Greencastle and the local area in the Sperrins who are opposed to a gold mine on their door step want or demand all of the luxuries that modern life can bring but want none of the environmental costs that they are happy enough to place on others and then have the cheek to use the same people for their own ends.

In the end wherever a gold mine gets going in Greencastle or not, it will not be that what will lead to communities like theirs disappearing. It will be the ending of farming subsidies from the EU that the UK have not said that they will keep going themselves indefinitely. Once those end the small farmers will have to sell up and move out and in its place will be bigger commercial farms or a real wilderness.

armaghniac

Is it cold in Canada this time of year?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gold

Quote from: Zazz on November 29, 2017, 09:21:23 PM
I would like to know the thoughts of anyone opposed to the gold mining plans if they can answer the following?

Do you have any investments or pension plans which are put into the global price of gold.

Do you have any electronics? Nearly everything with a circuit board these days contains trace amounts of gold.

If your answer to any of the questions above is yes, then get rid of them. Get rid of your engagement or wedding ring, bracelets & watches. Go to your dentist to get your filling replaced with something that isn't gold. Approach your financial advisor or fiduciary and tell them to reinvest your portfolio in something that isn't gold. The modern mobile phone today contains about one American dollar of gold, so get rid of it along with your laptop, television, washing machine and more. In fact you should probably get rid of your car too as almost all cars made in the last few decades will not only have circuit boards but things like heat insulation in some cars also contain gold as well. So put them in the bin. Better yet take the electronic stuff to a local recycling centre that takes care of electronic disposal, as throwing these things in bins just take up space in landfill with other toxins like lead leaking from them and going into the water supply. You do know this? I hope you do because the word cyanide already triggers you. And even better take the likes of gold jewellery to a local jewellers or one of those Cash My Gold places you see advertised and sell it to them. With the money you get, send all of it as a donation to a charity that looks after people affected in places which have had gold mining operations that often feature in SOS and GCV propaganda.

If your answer to any of the above questions is yes, but you are not going to stop using your mobile or wear a 9ct gold ring etc, then you are a hypocrite. A stinking full of sh1t hypocrite. And also a NIMBY, and not those NIMBYs that sometimes have a point, but a fully blown NIMBY who is happy to share and show videos of places around the world in or around gold mines that are at least  claimed to be destroyed because of gold extraction, but is happy enough to wear, invest or use gold that have come from these mines. It is a stench of do as I say don't do as I do. The people of Greencastle and the local area in the Sperrins who are opposed to a gold mine on their door step want or demand all of the luxuries that modern life can bring but want none of the environmental costs that they are happy enough to place on others and then have the cheek to use the same people for their own ends.

In the end wherever a gold mine gets going in Greencastle or not, it will not be that what will lead to communities like theirs disappearing. It will be the ending of farming subsidies from the EU that the UK have not said that they will keep going themselves indefinitely. Once those end the small farmers will have to sell up and move out and in its place will be bigger commercial farms or a real wilderness.

Welcome to gaaboard.com Zazz
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

J70

Quote from: Zazz on November 29, 2017, 09:21:23 PM

Why don't you declare what your interest here is? Are you a landowner who is going to benefit?

If not, its a rather unusual first post on a GAA discussion board.

And whether or not gold is or isn't widely used in many applications, that is no reason why people should not be concerned about the track record of the industry when it comes to the production and often poor management of the toxic waste.

The fact is that we are all either ignorant or hypocrites about a multitude of things, and often it takes something to hit close to home before we are shaken out of our complacency. If enough people develop the NIMBY mindset or awareness grows regarding some public health or environmental issue or toxic substance, then the world finds some other way to get the job done. That's whether its asbestos or radium or DDT or whatever.

Regardless, I'd rather be a newly converted hypocrite than someone who also knows the risks but cashes in and puts his community and environment at risk for a short term gain.

magpie seanie

Is it not obvious who "Zazz" is?

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on November 28, 2017, 04:57:22 PM
It's big bucks involved to these companies, so the environment, people's health and the feelings of locals mean diddly squat.

There will always be plenty of sell out backsturds who'll take the shilling over the greater good. Shell in Mayo was a prime example.

J70

magpie seanie