The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Not sure about elsewhere, but the use of the term "colored" is definitely not acceptable in the states any more. Too much association with segregation.

But like johnneycoool, I've had to correct a parent on their use of it on occasion!

Back to the main topic though... Liverpool haven't beaten West Ham on their last three visits to Anfield, although they've hammered them twice away in the two most recent meetings. So hopefully Moyes won't break the habit of a lifetime, and Liverpool will move above United in the table for the first this season, even if only for a day.

gawa316

I still find it strange Holgate was not disciplined in any way with regards to him pushing Firmino into the advertisement boards.

This decision kind of gives precedence to players crying racism, so they get off the hook for do something wrong. IMO i think Holgate just misheard something in Portuguese and jumped to the conclusion but you can be damn sure there'll be some cretin who will try to use this to their advantage.

J70

Quote from: gawa316 on February 22, 2018, 06:02:20 PM
I still find it strange Holgate was not disciplined in any way with regards to him pushing Firmino into the advertisement boards.

This decision kind of gives precedence to players crying racism, so they get off the hook for do something wrong. IMO i think Holgate just misheard something in Portuguese and jumped to the conclusion but you can be damn sure there'll be some cretin who will try to use this to their advantage.

Amazing that he didn't even get a yellow card.

And you're right, he probably would have except he made the accusation against Firmino.

Aside from the absence of the card though, you have to allow players to appeal to the authorities if they think they've been racially abused. There will be mistakes, there may even be an odd malicious false accusation, but what's the alternative?

TabClear

Quote from: J70 on February 22, 2018, 06:37:06 PM

And you're right, he probably would have except he made the accusation against Firmino.

Aside from the absence of the card though, you have to allow players to appeal to the authorities if they think they've been racially abused. There will be mistakes, there may even be an odd malicious false accusation, but what's the alternative?

To be fair, i think you give Holgate the benefit of the doubt in this case that he genuinely misheard/misinterpreted.

Dire Ear

Think he was taking the attention away from the push on Firmino

StGallsGAA

Quote from: TabClear on February 23, 2018, 07:58:24 AM

To be fair, i think you give Holgate the benefit of the doubt in this case that he genuinely misheard/misinterpreted.
And it's not as if racist abuse of  visiting players followed by unconditional support of the club for the guilty racist is anything new at Anfield. Shame.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: StGallsGAA on February 23, 2018, 09:05:11 AM

And it's not as if racist abuse of  visiting players followed by unconditional support of the club for the guilty racist is anything new at Anfield. Shame.

Give your mum her phone back and go watch some Bob The Builder, let the grown ups talk theres a good boy.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Dire Ear

Please ignore and don't quote that wnker , cheers

J70

Of course. That's what I said. Everyone should get a fair hearing, and where the case is unproven, if you don't you have evidence that someone maliciously falsely accused someone else, you have to write it off as possibly down to misinterpretation or mishearing.

Unlikely as it is, it could also be that Firmino actually said it and only Holgate heard it, but there is no evidence to support that either.

brokencrossbar1

Given the amount of people interviewed and spoken to and the fact that the red was closer to Bobby than Homgaye and never heard anything I think it's safe to say he didn't say anything

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 23, 2018, 12:14:08 PM
Given the amount of people interviewed and spoken to and the fact that the red was closer to Bobby than Homgaye and never heard anything I think it's safe to say he didn't say anything

I suspect he didn't say anything, but I do think Holgate thought he did. I wouldn't be castigating Holgate on that basis, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 23, 2018, 12:20:15 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 23, 2018, 12:14:08 PM

I suspect he didn't say anything, but I do think Holgate thought he did. I wouldn't be castigating Holgate on that basis, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed. Holgate thought he heard something. No one else did. Shut the book. Story over c

Gabriel_Hurl

Another 4 goals. Robertson in particular was tremendous.

Up to 2nd place (for now)

gawa316

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 24, 2018, 04:53:04 PM
Another 4 goals. Robertson in particular was tremendous.

Up to 2nd place (for now)

Yeah he really was excellent. Him and TAA put in some great balls.

Front 3 score again 8)

laoislad

David 'The Chosen One' Moyes still hasn't ever won a game at Anfield...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.