New Catholic Church/ DUP coalition! Is this they way forward?

Started by T Fearon, February 24, 2015, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

2 organisations stuck in the dark ages coming together for a bill stuck in the dark ages... Yeah Tony that's the future we all want  ::) ::) ::)

T Fearon

Surely Christian people should not be legally obliged to provide goods or services that are contrary to their beliefs.If they are being legally compelled to do so then that is discrimination surely.I don't see how a conscience clause is unreasonable.

T Fearon

On a wider point I think there is a realisation that Christian denominations need to discard doctrinal differences and come together to promote core basic principles in an ever increasingly secular world.

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 07:48:42 PM
Surely Christian people should not be legally obliged to provide goods or services that are contrary to their beliefs.If they are being legally compelled to do so then that is discrimination surely.I don't see how a conscience clause is unreasonable.
Of course you don't.

imtommygunn

Are you opposed to the marriage or the fact they're gay? What would you do had you to work with a gay person?

T Fearon

I would (and do) treat gay people the same way as I treat everyone else.But I disapprove of the lifestyle and consider that they already have sufficient rights without demeaning marriage and elevating an unconventional partnership to the level of a normal one.

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 08:03:44 PM
I would (and do) treat gay people the same way as I treat everyone else.But I disapprove of the lifestyle and consider that they already have sufficient rights without demeaning marriage and elevating an unconventional partnership to the level of a normal one.
What exactly do you mean by "the lifestyle"?  Do you think gay people chose to be gay?  If so, why on earth would they if they had to encounter horrible, bigoted f**kers like you.

Rossfan

Will Jewish or Muslim owned butchers be forced to stock pork products?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

So disapproval of something makes one a bigot? Well this board is full of bigots then,just look at the attitudes towards Christianity in general and Roman Catholicism in particular.

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 09:15:48 PM
So disapproval of something makes one a bigot? Well this board is full of bigots then,just look at the attitudes towards Christianity in general and Roman Catholicism in particular.
What right do you have to disapprove of a person's sexual orientation which is something over which they have no control?  Also, aren't Christians meant to be non-judgemental in any case?

Oraisteach

Just wondering whether at a different time there might have been a schism in the Catholic Church because, as I see it, there appears to be a split between two different kinds of Catholics--on the one hand, there are those who align themselves with evangelical Protestantism, the social conservatives, and on the other, those who advocate social justice, the social liberals.  The two seem to have diametrically opposed notions of what it means to be Christian.  And then I return to the mantra of WWJD--What Would Jesus Do?  Maybe Benedict and Francis epitomize this division.

T Fearon

Jesus would love the sinner and hate the sin.Equality is not achieved by approving or tolerating sin,and it is total hypocrisy to advocate gay marriage etc while ridiculing Christianity and Christians

heganboy

Surely Christian people should not be legally obliged to provide goods or services that are contrary to their beliefs.
Define "beliefs"
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 09:36:17 PM
Jesus would love the sinner and hate the sin.Equality is not achieved by approving or tolerating sin,and it is total hypocrisy to advocate gay marriage etc while ridiculing Christianity and Christians
As is claiming to be a Christian and judging and advocating discrimination against people on the grounds of their sexuality.

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 09:36:17 PM
The concept of 'sin' should have no relevance in defining the laws of our country.

As for the hypocrisy you're referring to, can you explain?