More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2019, 08:53:35 PM
Isn't it sad that a Party gets criticised for supporting equal human rights for all humans?

Isn't it sad that the term 'human rights' is bandied to score points on a discussion board?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: Itchy on April 23, 2019, 10:52:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 23, 2019, 10:13:25 PM
Isn't it sad that a Party gets criticised for supporting equal human rights for all humans?

I don't recall them campaigning for gay rights 20 years ago.

The world has moved on, well most of the world. There are still a few backward fools who think that obscure passages in an ancient much edited book should guide them instead. But like all slow learners they'll eventually get it.

To be fair, that's not the reason why everyone is against these gay rights/marriage.

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyCake on April 23, 2019, 08:44:02 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 23, 2019, 08:38:44 PM
Quote from: michaelg on April 23, 2019, 05:16:46 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 23, 2019, 01:36:18 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 23, 2019, 12:20:03 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2019, 11:45:47 AMOf course, it seems like every Tam Dick and Harry in the whole country is in favour of gay rights and abortion. Which is complete bollix.

What's your issue with gay people having equal rights Benny???

I didn't say I have an issue. It's the impression that SF give on it though. That the whole country is for it and the only ones against it is a dozen or so DUP members, which is completely untrue. There are plenty against it, but you just don't hear them speak out about it.
Have any prominent SF members spoke out against marriage equality etc in the past?

Not to my knowledge but I don't think they were always as pro LGBT rights as they are now

Populist bandwagon, and all that.

Have thought the same with SF the past few years.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on April 23, 2019, 11:13:31 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 23, 2019, 10:52:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 23, 2019, 10:13:25 PM

I don't recall them campaigning for gay rights 20 years ago.

The world has moved on, well most of the world. There are still a few backward fools who think that obscure passages in an ancient much edited book should guide them instead. But like all slow learners they'll eventually get it.

To be fair, that's not the reason why everyone is against these gay rights/marriage.

So what is the other reason(s).

PS I'm no Biblical scholar but I don't recall  any references to Jesus outlawing homosexualism.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

20. Try having no political opinion on the issue even 5yrs ago. Now try to portrait themselves as the only party chasing parity of esteem.

tonto1888

Quote from: armaghniac on April 23, 2019, 11:02:22 PM

Isn't it sad that the term 'human rights' is bandied to score points on a discussion board?

And what is wrong with pointing out a groups lack of support for human rights? Unless you don't believe they are Human rights?

tonto1888

Any criticism is for their apparent bandwagon jumping. Better mate than never if you ask me but they do give the impression they have always supported gay rights when that just isn't true

Main Street

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 23, 2019, 05:45:01 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on April 23, 2019, 03:48:06 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 23, 2019, 02:03:45 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2019, 01:37:47 PM
Why are all those Nordies so against gay rights (which are human rights)?

In Ireland's marriage referendum 4 years ago, 734,300 people voted against it. That's almost 38% of voters.

Like I said before, whether in the north or south, not everyone is in favour of gay rights/marriage.

You just can't mention it in public or you would get lynched by the right on crowd and lose your job

Sounds like a better world to live in than the one where you could lose your job (or in the case of countries like Iran, your life) for being gay.
You are indulging in good old Islamophobia, gays are not killed for being gay in Iran, nevertheless, gays are at risk from the reactionary violence of homophobes/religious nutcases in many places around the world, including USA. 
In any case, unlike the state assisted murders of  Pat Finucane or Rosemary Nelson, Lyra was not murdered for who she was or what she stood for, she was just caught in the wrong place.   

Don Johnson

See a prominent dissident's house was shot up yesterday in Lurgan as well.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Don Johnson on April 24, 2019, 09:46:11 AM
See a prominent dissident's house was shot up yesterday in Lurgan as well.

Not hard to figure out who that was....Mr Duffy has been quiet by his own remarkable standards recently.

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on April 24, 2019, 09:10:35 AM

In Ireland's marriage referendum 4 years ago, 734,300 people voted against it. That's almost 38% of voters.

Like I said before, whether in the north or south, not everyone is in favour of gay rights/marriage.

You just can't mention it in public or you would get lynched by the right on crowd and lose your job

Sounds like a better world to live in than the one where you could lose your job (or in the case of countries like Iran, your life) for being gay.
You are indulging in good old Islamophobia, gays are not killed for being gay in Iran, nevertheless, gays are at risk from the reactionary violence of homophobes/religious nutcases in many places around the world, including USA. 
In any case, unlike the state assisted murders of  Pat Finucane or Rosemary Nelson, Lyra was not murdered for who she was or what she stood for, she was just caught in the wrong place.

There are anti homosexuality laws in Iran and the sentence is death

Main Street

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 24, 2019, 10:37:06 AM

Yes but homosexuals are not being killed for being homosexuals in Iran, as was claimed.

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on April 24, 2019, 10:53:38 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 24, 2019, 10:37:06 AM

Yes but homosexuals are not being killed for being homosexuals in Iran, as was claimed.

So what are they being killed for?

Kickham csc

Quote from: michaelg on April 23, 2019, 05:16:46 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 23, 2019, 01:36:18 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 23, 2019, 12:20:03 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2019, 11:45:47 AMOf course, it seems like every Tam Dick and Harry in the whole country is in favour of gay rights and abortion. Which is complete bollix.

What's your issue with gay people having equal rights Benny???

I didn't say I have an issue. It's the impression that SF give on it though. That the whole country is for it and the only ones against it is a dozen or so DUP members, which is completely untrue. There are plenty against it, but you just don't hear them speak out about it.
Have any prominent SF members spoke out against marriage equality etc in the past?

As a party, their 2015 manifesto was the only one in the North that expressly mentioned the rights of transgender people. So on the face of it, SF had already expanded the equality agenda to beyond a focus Irish culture position to  a broader human rights equality program in 2015