Anton O’Toole RIP

Started by The Hill is Blue, May 17, 2019, 04:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

68 is not old. Sad to see legends pass way so early

Sportacus

I had the pleasure of Anton's company a few times.  A true gent.  May he rest in peace.

Substandard

RIP- I have vague memories of watching him play when I was very young: I think it was Anton, but I have a memory of an outstanding goal scored into the roof of the net from 20 plus yards after a super run through the defence, but I can't remember the game or the opposition.  I do remember trying to replicate it against the gable of the house, and on the odd occasion that I succeeded, I was Anton O Toole.  I never managed it on the field!!
A time when heroes existed more in your imagination than in social media.

whitey

Quote from: larryin89 on May 17, 2019, 07:29:53 PM
May he rest in peace . I was too young in his playing days to remember him . By what we read and gather etc he was obviously a great.

( Was there a mayo connection ) ?

According to Michael Commins on MidWest last night not only is his father from Garrymore but he is a first cousin of Billy Fitzpatrick and the Kearns clan from Davitts

Tatler Jack

Quote from: Substandard on May 19, 2019, 09:45:34 PM
RIP- I have vague memories of watching him play when I was very young: I think it was Anton, but I have a memory of an outstanding goal scored into the roof of the net from 20 plus yards after a super run through the defence, but I can't remember the game or the opposition.  I do remember trying to replicate it against the gable of the house, and on the odd occasion that I succeeded, I was Anton O Toole.  I never managed it on the field!!
A time when heroes existed more in your imagination than in social media.

I think that was AI semi final v Cork(defending champions) in 1974. First time I remember seeing him play. Indeed more innocent and arguably enjoyable times. An exciting player and sad to see him gone so young. RIP.

Seany

According to the Irish Times, the priest at his funeral said it was going to least five or six hours.  Surely not.