The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 18, 2018, 02:05:21 PM
And yet Mayo Galway nearly sold out...
I was thinking the same thing. What other significant provincial matches would get that sort of crowd or be that hard to call ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on May 18, 2018, 10:59:09 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 17, 2018, 10:26:39 PM
They are different but not as different as you think.

People supporting top tier teams wouldn't have that much interest in lower tier games.

Remember the tommy murphy cup?
How many people are interested in the championship before September?

Last year was crap. The four 2017 provincial finals had an average winning margin of 0-9, the four quarterfinals concluded with an average margin of 0-15, and the semi-finals’ concluding average was 0-9.

Own view or repeating what Pat Spillane said? If only seafoid you had some tabloid newspaper article to back up your raving.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2018, 10:55:04 AM
Captain - how will I do myself a favour by not referring to the NFL as a pre season tournament?
Will I have good luck for the rest of the year? Or will the GAABOARD mods send me some money or what?

The NFL IS a pre season tournament played in February and March with experimental or weakened teams not at full fitness.
It's still a decent competition but has to be taken for what it is.
And Captain does your soccer orientated mind still think  Championship is a "Cup competition " seeing as the last 8 is on a group basis?

I don't think you quite understand what pre-season refers to.

Rossfan

As any real GAA man will tell you Syfīn it's all about what you do after May Day.
And ad for Captain saying only Yanks call the 11 aside stuff Soccer.... 98% of GAA people call it soccer and most non British TV immersed people in Ireland call it Soccer.
So I'll be ignoring your ramblings from now on as your obviously not a GAA person at all.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2018, 04:03:24 PM
As any real GAA man will tell you Syfīn it's all about what you do after May Day.
And ad for Captain saying only Yanks call the 11 aside stuff Soccer.... 98% of GAA people call it soccer and most non British TV immersed people in Ireland call it Soccer.
So I'll be ignoring your ramblings from now on as your obviously not a GAA person at all.
Where did you get the 98% figure? The official name of the sport across the water is football the Captain is right. The term Soccer nothing more than a nickname.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 18, 2018, 04:30:48 PM
Where did you get the 98% figure? The official name of the sport across the water is football the Captain is right. The term Soccer nothing more than a nickname.

In fairness I think I agree with Rossfan for once. 98% is obviously made up, but most GAA people call soccer soccer, and football is Gaelic Football.

Captain Obvious

If that's attempt to insult me and my devotion for GAA you really need to try a lot harder Mr Grumpy.  ;D

Blowitupref

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 18, 2018, 04:41:56 PM

In fairness I think I agree with Rossfan for once. 98% is obviously made up, but most GAA people call soccer soccer, and football is Gaelic Football.
With the lack of use of the foot in modern Gaelic football people will soon be calling it fist ball

Now back to the topic. No live game on RTE this weekend other than hurling i hope the Sunday Game pull out all of the stops and shows good highlights of Limerick v Clare and Tipperary v Waterford or am i expecting too much?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dinny Breen

Unless you are in Dublin, then it's the Gah! That wrecks my head.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

There were several variations of football back in the 1860s so the sport became known as association football. 

Rossfan

Anyway the Brits started the term as they called their 2 most popular brands of football "Soccer" from Association and "Rugger".
Of all the people I know only 1 regularly calls the 11 aside stuff "football" but he's from feckin Athlone so enuf said.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2018, 05:36:58 PM
Anyway the Brits started the term as they called their 2 most popular brands of football "Soccer" from Association and "Rugger".
Of all the people I know only 1 regularly calls the 11 aside stuff "football" but he's from feckin Athlone so enuf said.
Do you ever read any Neil Francis columns? He often throws in the line "then Ireland starting playing football" or "they know how to play football"
Jaysus

larryin89

So monaghan v Tyrone is not live then?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Cunny Funt

Quote from: larryin89 on May 18, 2018, 06:09:20 PM
So monaghan v Tyrone is not live then?
No, game on at 4pm Sunday. Deferred coverage on BBC 2 NI at 7pm.

BennyCake

Or just 'Gaelic'.