The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 17, 2018, 10:01:05 PM
;D Yes we irish make a regular habit of going to the beach what with the tropical weather and all :D

There was little to no coverage of the joe mcdonagh games at the weekend. The ring, rackard etc get no coverage. The tommy murphy got little to none.

Sure it has already started with less coverage this year. The super 8s will be where the interest is.

So in summary az is bang on.
Football and hurling are totally different. The hurling audience is much smaller . The gap between the first 10 and second 10 is immense. In football it is less so. If there is hurling on TV only hurling people will.watch it. Far more people watch football.

Tiered divisions will get the media attention.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

They are different but not as different as you think.

People supporting top tier teams wouldn't have that much interest in lower tier games.

Remember the tommy murphy cup?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2018, 09:55:24 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 17, 2018, 09:38:50 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2018, 09:02:18 PM
Calm down AZ I'm saying no such thing.

Hurling has always been a minor minority sport in Louth and 18 or 19 other Counties and will remain so even if the GAA pumped millions into trying to make it a popular game in the said Counties.
Putting all 32 Counties into the SHC would be the most ludicrous thing ever and no one is suggesting it ....apart from AZ's inferences.

I'm not suggesting it either. What I'm saying is the way the lesser championships are treated in hurling is EXACTLY what would happen the lesser football championships.
I don't necessarily think so
During the summer you can start talking to the fella beside you on the beach about what county he is from and then how the footballers are going.  This won't change. A tiered system would mean more matches for most counties so more exposure. Men will watch or read about endless sport.
The promotion/relegation would be very interesting. It would probably mean more transformations are executed. I think under the current system for D3 and D4 momentum is very hard to carry over from one season to the next. The current system favours the stronger counties. the ones who can build momentum.
We already have that its called the NFL and GAA top brass should look at ways to make that competition more important than forever chopping and changing our cup competition (All Ireland football championship) to favour the stronger counties.

Rossfan

For Fûck sake stop calling our CHAMPIONSHIP a"Cup competition".
Anyway any competition will favour the stronger teams unless you bring in handicapping.
For all its good points the NFL is a pre season tournament.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2018, 11:57:20 PM
For Fûck sake stop calling our CHAMPIONSHIP a"Cup competition".
Anyway any competition will favour the stronger teams unless you bring in handicapping.
For all its good points the NFL is a pre season tournament.
We have grumpy one here! Its a cup competition deal with it.

The journey for a lot counties can be as interesting as the final destination for the winners. Every sport should have at least two well run and important tournaments so do yourself a favour and can stop calling the NFL a pre season tournament.

trailer

The truth is I'd watch Offaly v Wicklow if it was an Intermediate game or a Junior game. It would mean something. Two sides well matched going at it.
The fact that the winner is going to get hammered by Dublin or Kildare makes the game a non event.

Anyway these Div 4 & 3 sides don't want a tiered championship, so a good old fashioned u-12 hosing is what they deserve. 30 points+ please!

Rossfan

Captain - how will I do myself a favour by not referring to the NFL as a pre season tournament?
Will I have good luck for the rest of the year? Or will the GAABOARD mods send me some money or what?

The NFL IS a pre season tournament played in February and March with experimental or weakened teams not at full fitness.
It's still a decent competition but has to be taken for what it is.
And Captain does your soccer orientated mind still think  Championship is a "Cup competition " seeing as the last 8 is on a group basis?

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 17, 2018, 10:26:39 PM

People supporting top tier teams wouldn't have that much interest in lower tier games.

How many people are interested in the championship before September?

Last year was crap. The four 2017 provincial finals had an average winning margin of 0-9, the four quarterfinals concluded with an average margin of 0-15, and the semi-finals' concluding average was 0-9.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on May 18, 2018, 10:59:09 AM

Last year was crap. The four 2017 provincial finals had an average winning margin of 0-9, the four quarterfinals concluded with an average margin of 0-15, and the semi-finals' concluding average was 0-9.

Are you serious?

Rossfan

Seaf is a Galwayman/woman  ;)
The casual gaa fan will only get interested in the SFC from Provincial Finals/Round 4.
Maybe the explosion of televised hurling games might get them interested in the SHC earlier?

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 18, 2018, 11:00:05 AM

Are you serious?
Think about last year. How many memorable matches were there? How many boring mismatches were there? How many counties made progress other than Carlow ? LEinster football is in crisis.
The football championship is shite. The attendances prove it.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on May 18, 2018, 11:11:50 AM

Are you serious?
Think about last year. How many memorable matches were there? How many boring mismatches were there? How many counties made progress other than Carlow ? LEinster football is in crisis.

You're conflating the quality of the championship last year with the interest in it. And your standard tack of making sensational one line comments doesn't change the fact that there is a big interest in the championship, whether you like it or not. You said there's no interest before September. That's patently nonsense.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 18, 2018, 11:16:34 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 18, 2018, 11:11:50 AM

Are you serious?

You're conflating the quality of the championship last year with the interest in it. And your standard tack of making sensational one line comments doesn't change the fact that there is a big interest in the championship, whether you like it or not. You said there's no interest before September. That's patently nonsense.

Everyone is interested in their own county and in May there is great anticipation but the product is poor. This summer might well be as forgettable as last summer. Neutrals have no interest in Leinster finals any more. The drop in attendances since 2001 is saying something as well.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2018, 10:55:04 AM
Captain - how will I do myself a favour by not referring to the NFL as a pre season tournament?
Will I have good luck for the rest of the year? Or will the GAABOARD mods send me some money or what?

The NFL IS a pre season tournament played in February and March with experimental or weakened teams not at full fitness.
It's still a decent competition but has to be taken for what it is.
And Captain does your soccer orientated mind still think  Championship is a "Cup competition " seeing as the last 8 is on a group basis?

Firstly my mind is orientated on common sense and not on any sport and that sport in question is called Association football, Soccer you call it if you are American which i doubt you are?

By doing yourself a favour it might make you become less grumpy when someone corrects you.

Pre season in the O Byrne and McKenna cup. NFL is our secondary full season tournament which at the moment isn't taken serious enough and my point many times is should be made more important.

Last 8 group basic is a prime example of GAA top brass chopping and changing our cup competition (All Ireland football championship) to favour the stronger counties and eliminating underdog from reaching the last 4 as best they can.

Farrandeelin

And yet Mayo Galway nearly sold out...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.