Most competitive county championship

Started by maddog, September 03, 2011, 10:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Muppet probably is dead on the button. Castlebar will win the county championship this year in Mayo. (I've said that for the past number of years, but this year seems to be coming to fruition for them!)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Orior

Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2011, 09:04:58 PM
This has to be another one of the daftest threads... everyone will name their own County...
What next a thread on .. what County has the nicest jerseys?

Daftest quote above. It has already been stated that Antrim and Armagh are not competitive.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

regal

In Ulster, Derry and Tyrone are definitely very competitive. However, whoever wins these respective championships wont go far in ulster because both championships are very poor quality. Carrickmore are favourites in Tyrone and Coleraine are favourites in Derry. Both teams are crap when considered in an ulster context - Carrickmore dont have 3 quality footballers and Burren stuffed Coleraine without moving into second gear last year.

Drummerboy

Some of the Dublin clubs are like intercounty teams. Parnells for example have 4 Laois, 2 Wexford and Cluxton. Kilmacud have about 6 Dublin panelists plus a couple from Wexford and Kavanagh from Longford.

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on September 04, 2011, 04:25:04 PM
2006 Crossmolina
2007 Ballina Stephenites
2008 Ballaghadereen
2009 Charlestown
2010 Ballintubber
2011 Castlebar Mitchels

Noted...

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 04, 2011, 09:08:23 PM
Muppet probably is dead on the button. Castlebar will win the county championship this year in Mayo. (I've said that for the past number of years, but this year seems to be coming to fruition for them!)

Noted...

sheamy

Quote from: regal on September 05, 2011, 08:51:44 AM
In Ulster, Derry and Tyrone are definitely very competitive. However, whoever wins these respective championships wont go far in ulster because both championships are very poor quality. Carrickmore are favourites in Tyrone and Coleraine are favourites in Derry. Both teams are crap when considered in an ulster context - Carrickmore dont have 3 quality footballers and Burren stuffed Coleraine without moving into second gear last year.

I wouldn't be just as strong as that regal. I do accept the general point you're making though. There is St Gall's and Cross and then there is everyone else. Burren might be the next to push on.

I agree Coleraine never counted v Burren last year. It'd be interesting if that experience stands to them should they win it this year. Wasn't so long ago Ballinderry put Cross to the pin of their collar though taking to a replay in the final. With that team ageing a little I don't think there's an outstanding team in Derry. There's 4-5 decent teams so there's been a levelling off (downwards). Both Tyrone and Derry championships are quite similar like that at the minute with noone really stepping up to the level of Errigal Ciaran side of a few years ago.

tbrick18

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 04, 2011, 10:08:51 AM
Kerry divisional structure make it very hard every year and there are alot of top class teams

I know this has been discussed before Mike, but could you outline the structure of the Kerry championship briefly? Genuinely interested...just cant remember what way yous set it up.

nrico2006

Quote from: regal on September 05, 2011, 08:51:44 AM

Carrickmore would have alot more than 3 quality footballers.  I think that Coleraine winning Derry for the first time and the hoo hahh that went with that was the reason they ended up losing to Burren, as Down football is not of a great standard.  I fancy Omagh for Tyrone this year and Ballinderry for Derry. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

blanketattack

Cork and Armagh are the least competitive of the big teams.

AQMP

Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2011, 09:04:58 PM
This has to be another one of the daftest threads... everyone will name their own County... What next a thread on .. what County has the nicest jerseys?

Emmm...

Antrim Senior Football Champions:

2001 - St Gall's
2002 - St Gall's
2003 - St Gall's
2004 - St Gall's
2005 - St Gall's
2006 - Cargin
2007 - St Gall's
2008 - St Gall's
2009 - St Gall's
2010 - St Gall's
2011 - Final is St Gall's v. Lamh Dhearg

Not Antrim

muppet

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 05, 2011, 09:50:16 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 04, 2011, 09:08:23 PM

Noted...

No Ted.
MWWSI 2017

ogshead

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 05, 2011, 11:09:36 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on September 03, 2011, 11:42:01 PM
Quote from: maddog on September 03, 2011, 10:09:34 PM
Armagh used to be fairly competitive but cross fair play to them ended that

It might be a bit more competitive if the other teams could make some effort to take on Cross instead of lying down or running away....

Friday 2nd September 2011
Armagh Harps 1-06 Crossmaglen Rangers 6-12

:D

It looks like another former 'great' Armagh club is on the wane.......

Monday 5th September
Ballymacnab 4-12 Clan na Gael 0-04

What are they feeding them in South Armagh?

Some of you may remember the Clan na Gael of Smyth, McKinistry and McKerr in the 1970s but those days are a distant memory.  Even now the Clan na Gael of O'Hagan and Marsden is a faded memory. BTW are they the only club to have a darts society section on its website?

The Nab are mid Armagh... 3 mid teams in the semi's this year. Cross were the only good South Armagh side... The rest of them lived off their success!!

Orior

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 05, 2011, 11:09:36 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on September 03, 2011, 11:42:01 PM
Quote from: maddog on September 03, 2011, 10:09:34 PM
Armagh used to be fairly competitive but cross fair play to them ended that

It might be a bit more competitive if the other teams could make some effort to take on Cross instead of lying down or running away....

Friday 2nd September 2011
Armagh Harps 1-06 Crossmaglen Rangers 6-12

:D

It looks like another former 'great' Armagh club is on the wane.......

Monday 5th September
Ballymacnab 4-12 Clan na Gael 0-04

What are they feeding them in South Armagh?

Some of you may remember the Clan na Gael of Smyth, McKinistry and McKerr in the 1970s but those days are a distant memory.  Even now the Clan na Gael of O'Hagan and Marsden is a faded memory. BTW are they the only club to have a darts society section on its website?

My earliest memory of football outside Poyntzpass was Clan na Gael playing "The Johnnies" in the Ulster Championship. To me, St Johns all  seemed to be flying machines. McKinstry lorded the midfield.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Canalman

Kildare's championship is imo fierce competitive. Any one of 6/7 teams would fancy themselves as contenders.