Is Joe Kernans legacy tarnished by his failure with Galway?

Started by Peter Solan the Great, July 10, 2010, 07:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Joe Kernans legacy tarnished by his failure with Galway?

Yes
22 (36.1%)
No
30 (49.2%)
Grimely had a lot to do with kernans legacy
9 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Peter Solan the Great

He has done great things with Armagh but his stint with Galway have only met with endless failure. Galway have let him down big time for sure but we must not forget the great things he has done with proper teams.

ross4life

No... legacy will always remain with Armagh much like JOM with Galway
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

imtommygunn

I would say he's in a similar position there to Loughnane. Loughnane was previously perceived as a legend , or near it, and his rep has been somewhat tarnished by his galway stint.

JK has a bit of time with Galway just yet though.  Maybe early yet. They have a young enough team in a lot of places and are missing meehan who would walk on any team in ireland.

Shrewdness

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 10, 2010, 08:28:53 PM
I would say he's in a similar position there to Loughnane. Loughnane was previously perceived as a legend , or near it, and his rep has been somewhat tarnished by his galway stint.

JK has a bit of time with Galway just yet though.  Maybe early yet. They have a young enough team in a lot of places and are missing meehan who would walk on any team in ireland.

Young enough, yes. But are they good enough?. Current evidence suggests not. Before they play another Championship match, Padraig Joyce will be another year older. How much longer can he carry Galway football on his back?

I actually believe the immediate future is brighter for Mayo than Galway.

Schkite

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 10, 2010, 09:18:41 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 10, 2010, 08:28:53 PM

Young enough, yes. But are they good enough?. Current evidence suggests not. Before they play another Championship match, Padraig Joyce will be another year older. How much longer can he carry Galway football on his back?

I actually believe the immediate future is brighter for Mayo than Galway.

Thought this was his last year? Maybe the way they bowed out he might want to keep going but he can't do it all himself.

Cosmo Kramer

I don't think Joe Kernan and Galway football are at all compatible. Kernan won his All Ireland with a certain type of player playing a particularly negative style of football. I don't think Galway have the type of players needed to play that game and its not their their natural style of play anyway and is unlikely to ever be.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Shrewdness

Cosmo, i heard several people make that very point in the immediate aftermath of Kernan's appointment, and maybe the chickens have come home to roost now ::)

AFS

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 10, 2010, 09:26:16 PM
I don't think Joe Kernan and Galway football are at all compatible. Kernan won his All Ireland with a certain type of player playing a particularly negative style of football. I don't think Galway have the type of players needed to play that game and its not their their natural style of play anyway and is unlikely to ever be.

That's not really true. Armagh's All Ireland winning campaign preceded much of the negativity that seeped through in subsequent years.

INDIANA

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 10, 2010, 09:26:16 PM

galway don't have the players. Simple as.

Zulu

Yeah, I don't think Armagh were particularly negative at the height of their powers. Anyway, surely if Joe is a decent manager he can adapt his style of play to suit the players he has and if the players are any good they add an extra string or two to their bow?

GalwayBayBoy

In fairness to Joe Kernan I think you have to judge him after next year. He was always rowing upstream once Michael Meehan did his knee ligaments against Kerry in the league. A fully fit Meehan and Nicky Joyce and Galway would probably have ended up winning Connacht and Kernan's first year would have been a modest success. As it is they lost two games to injury time points so it's a thin line between a pat on the back and a root up the hole. That said a Connacht title would only have been papering over the cracks. The team is not near strong enough in certain positions and PJ and Meehan can only carry them so far. Ultimately the players have to take their share of the blame. They were in winning positions against both Sligo and Wexford and blew both games in the final minutes. 

Kernan though has the figure of Kevin Walsh looming over him now as well and unless he improves things next year the clamour for Walsh to come home will be undeniable.

illdecide

What legacy? Everyone in Armagh knows Paul grimley was the brains behind the operation and Joe was the motivator and if the truth be told i reckon Joe cost Armagh at least one other all ireland if not two. Galway might not win anything under Joe but they'll sure as hell be out a few Euro before it's all over
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

put-it-up

The fact is, Galways just aren't all that good at the minute.  Plus if Kernan was going to stamp his way of doing things on it - it was always going to be a two year process minimum

AFS

Quote from: illdecide on July 10, 2010, 09:56:54 PM
What legacy? Everyone in Armagh knows Paul grimley was the brains behind the operation and Joe was the motivator and if the truth be told i reckon Joe cost Armagh at least one other all ireland if not two. Galway might not win anything under Joe but they'll sure as hell be out a few Euro before it's all over

So when things went well it was all down to Grimley, but when things went pear shaped it was all Kernan's fault? Hmmm...

From the Bunker

Joe's light has been fading a few years now. Didn't and Don't think he's the right man for the Galway job. Galways biggest problem (no more than their neighbours Mayo) is that they are over rated in relation to winning Sam. True Galway have slain the AI Beast in 2001, but they have been year in year out since given to much credit for playing 'nice' football and losing. Sligo have emerged from the shadows of Galway and Mayo this year, and rightly no one is talking of AI's. Why not? Anyway, I'm afraid the only thing 'Big Joe' will leave Galway with is a swelled pocket.