A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Irish Independent/Kantar poll.
Doesn't say anything about readers.

PadraicHenryPearse

I have no real affinity with the north, understanding of what its like in the north or want to pay more taxes for a united ireland but when it comes to voting i will 100% vote fot it.

Generations of Irish men and women have suffered, wanted, campaigned, fought, gave their lifes for a united Ireland for me to have a chance to vote for it and vote no as i might be a bit worse off financially is unconscionable.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

UI will be great economically long term, inevitable short term pain, we don't bring as much to the table as the south does. It has to and will happen

Itchy

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on May 01, 2021, 12:12:54 PM
I have no real affinity with the north, understanding of what its like in the north or want to pay more taxes for a united ireland but when it comes to voting i will 100% vote fot it.

Generations of Irish men and women have suffered, wanted, campaigned, fought, gave their lifes for a united Ireland for me to have a chance to vote for it and vote no as i might be a bit worse off financially is unconscionable.

Even it made me poor id vote for it. However, I believe it will make iteland much stronger to be united.

general_lee

Quote from: Rossfan on May 01, 2021, 11:35:43 AM
No, but certainly the headlines they chose have been done so with their readership in mind.

"The findings emerge in a Belfast Telegraph poll, run in conjunction with Kantar"

Angelo

Quote from: smelmoth on April 27, 2021, 03:41:46 PM
Quote from: Angelo on April 27, 2021, 02:39:09 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 27, 2021, 12:53:51 PM
It does not matter what these polls say, there will not be a UI unless and until all the economic issues have been identified and addressed. People harp on about the NHS, it is currently no better than the Health Service in the south and might even be worse. But how do you begin to address the disparity in income standards between North and South without losing jobs as the North is a low pay economy. How do you prevent loyalist unrest? How do you address concerns from the South? I haven't seen any attempt as yet to address these and the other issues in any serious way.

I would put the political inclination to opening a dialogue on a UI like this

Strongly for - SF
Open to: SDLP, Alliance, PBP, Greens, Social Democrats,
Strongly against: DUP/UUP/TUV, FF, FG, Labour

The ones who want to suppress any talk or discussion on a UI are those who have controlled each state for the past 100 years.

What suppression is actually taken place?

What have ideas have been formulated but suppressed by others?

Are you genuinely stupid or are you just pretending to be? If you seriously have not seen any attempt by Micheal Martin to pour cold water on any talk or discussions on a UI then you have been living under a rock for the past year.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Rossfan

Quote from: general_lee on May 01, 2021, 01:29:19 PM
No, but certainly the headlines they chose have been done so with their readership in mind.

"The findings emerge in a Belfast Telegraph poll, run in conjunction with Kantar"
Why not discuss the results?
Or are you and rest of the SFers waiting for word from HQ?

general_lee

Quote from: Rossfan on May 01, 2021, 01:58:20 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 01, 2021, 01:29:19 PM

Why not discuss the results?
Or are you and rest of the SFers waiting for word from HQ?
Oh f**k up. Is that all you have?

Rossfan

general_lee

Quote from: Rossfan on May 01, 2021, 03:20:22 PM
Touched a raw nerve did we? ;D
Certainly not. I merely pointed out that the poll was carried out by probably the most non-impartial media group in Ireland and you came back with that.

It just sort of defeats the purpose of a (once sensible) discussion board if morons are going to constantly refer to everyone from the north who wants their country unified as a shinnerbot. (You'd maybe be more at home on boards.ie)

I've voted SF before and more than likely will do so again, I make no secret of that. It's not out of some sort of blind loyalty to Connolly House and I'm more than happy to criticise them when it's warranted. My vote is never guaranteed and I've voted for other parties before in the past.

Rossfan

I find it very disappointing that there was so little response to this opinion poll which was carried out by a polling company who no doubt used the usual scientific/statistical methods.
A couple of people saying they were in favour of a UI no matter what and General Lee thinking it was just a survey of Independent readers and then rubbishing it because that Paper commissioned the poll.
This on a Board where Northerners are the majority and the majority of them would be SF voters.
A goodly number of them likely members of that party.
The findings of 35/44/21 seem reasonably accurate for the North. The 44 tallying with the Unionist vote in recent elections and the pro Brexit vote.
In a real Referendum how many of the 21 can "we" get to vote for UI?
Again the amount of people who wouldn't be prepared to pay  more tax for a UI wouldn't be too far out.

Main Street

Quote from: general_lee on May 02, 2021, 09:17:53 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 01, 2021, 03:20:22 PM
Touched a raw nerve did we? ;D
Certainly not. I merely pointed out that the poll was carried out by probably the most non-impartial media group in Ireland and you came back with that.

It just sort of defeats the purpose of a (once sensible) discussion board if morons are going to constantly refer to everyone from the north who wants their country unified as a shinnerbot. (You'd maybe be more at home on boards.ie)

I've voted SF before and more than likely will do so again, I make no secret of that. It's not out of some sort of blind loyalty to Connolly House and I'm more than happy to criticise them when it's warranted. My vote is never guaranteed and I've voted for other parties before in the past.
The question was asked about are you willing to pay higher taxes to fund a UI, as if most people willingly pay taxes as a given concept. And what exactly are the extra costs and benifits?

IT  business journalist Eoin Kennedy  sets out the case in an interesting article that the subvention issue is largely a red herring in the scheme of a UI, according to DCU study https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/northern-ireland-s-9-4bn-subvention-and-the-cost-of-irish-unity-1.4553553

The subvention would diminish to 2.5m p/a  but subject to variables.

weareros

Main thing I would take from Indo poll.
Those who want a border poll North & South are largest segments
It continues a trend of decline in pro-Union vote (at 44%) even if UI is still 9 points behind.
There is now an expectation of a UI North & South within a reasonable timeframe
It should light a fire up the Gov and Nationalist parties that they need to start singing the same tune on the economics and health, and start giving clarity.
The Indo is a bit of a dick for trying to make the narrative about two thirds majority required. How about asking the question: should a 33% or 25% minority get to decide for everyone else?