Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Glory is a very underrated war movie. Based on the black slaves fighting during the American civil war. Denzil is amazing in it.

Saving Private Ryan's opening 30mins will be hard to beat.

JPGJOHNNYG

Glory is fantastic made even better by the soundtrack which is one of the best ever

gallsman

Matthew Broderick is as shite as he ever is in it though.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: gallsman on February 04, 2017, 09:11:17 PM
Matthew Broderick is as shite as he ever is in it though.

Poor casting but Denzil was superb more than made up for it. One of my favourite movies of all time.
#newbridgeornowhere

bennydorano

Quote from: Hardy on January 24, 2017, 04:38:08 PM
I was disappointed with Arrival. I can't understand all the fuss, Oscar nomination, 8.3 IMDB score etc. Totally forgettable, muddled, no tension, unsympathetic characters and I didn't care (or understand) what happened.
Watched it this evening & thoroughly enjoyed it. Good  Sci Fi but nothing extraordinary.

laoislad

Quote from: laoislad on January 17, 2017, 08:58:25 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on January 16, 2017, 12:36:41 PM
Patriots Day - very good. 8/10
Good to hear, have been looking forward to watching it.
Match of the Day wasn't on tonight so I watched Patriots Day.
Very good.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Canalman

Echo what has been said about Glory. As good a war film that has ever been made. Three Kings excellent as was Kellys Heroes before it and which it is basically a remake of.

Zulu, The Great Escape, Platoon, AN, Das Boot, Where Eagles Dare, Paths of Glory  all excellent as are many others.

Hurt Locker dung. Thin Red Line far too arty for me.

JimStynes

Hamburger Hill is a decent Vietnam War movie.

laoislad

Quote from: JimStynes on February 05, 2017, 01:18:09 PM
I said that about 2 pages back!

Hurt Locker is excellent btw way Canalman!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JPGJOHNNYG

Finally gave sing street a go was expecting nothing special but actually really enjoyed it.

maigheo

Talking to a nam vet a few years ago and he said that Hamburger hill was the closest depiction of the Vietnam war that he had seen.

JimStynes

Quote from: maigheo on February 05, 2017, 05:41:27 PM
Talking to a nam vet a few years ago and he said that Hamburger hill was the closest depiction of the Vietnam war that he had seen.

I visited the site of the battle when I was travelling around Vietnam on motorbikes. Wee lads were selling marines dog tags. I got a couple and have been meaning to look up the fellas who they belonged to. The tour guide was a Vietnamese solider who fought for the Americans. Class experience.

Arthur_Friend

Unwatchable cliche-ridden rubbish.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yZOLq82m2Ks

Frankie Boyle pretty much sums up all Vietnam war movies in this sketch.

JimStynes

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on February 05, 2017, 06:55:28 PM

Unwatchable cliche-ridden rubbish.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yZOLq82m2Ks

Frankie Boyle pretty much sums up all Vietnam war movies in this sketch.

It's decent enough in my opinion. Never said it was the best film of all time or anything.

Anyone remember the programme 'Tour of Duty'? I remember thinking it was class when I was a wee lad. Probably a load of shite if I watched it now.

Always loved the intro and the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6fcd--354

Milltown Row2

A few that haven't been mention, Cross of Iron, Casualties of War, Tora Tora Tora, We were soldiers... add in a few favourites Platoon, a bridge too far, Das boot, and Saving private Ryan
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea