Club Training during lockdown

Started by thebackbar1, January 04, 2021, 04:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

They are going to train be it in a group or individual.

Exercise is allowed. Christ the night.

Same lads were yapping too there was to be no football at one stage last year too.

EDIT

Square_Ball post nails it. Nothing wrong. Nothing wrong with going through the individual programmes as elite athletes.

Get off the high horse lads.

GlenMan

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 07, 2021, 12:08:11 PM
They are going to train be it in a group or individual.

Exercise is allowed. Christ the night.

Same lads were yapping too there was to be no football at one stage last year too.

EDIT

Square_Ball post nails it. Nothing wrong. Nothing wrong with going through the individual programmes as elite athletes.

Get off the high horse lads.

"Going through individual programmes"

Bullshit. Spin that line all you want but it was obviously collective training.

Expect Croke Park to make an example of Down over this.

GetOverTheBar

The PSNI had no issue. So surely if they did, there should / would have been arrests.

I'm not even a Down man. I find this incredulous. Do you want men to be going and lifting weights, having to do it on their own, without support and potentially hurting themselves.....sure wouldn't that add to NHS stress?

You can't have it both ways.

Taylor

I cant see how the GAA let this one slide.

No doubt Down should not have met in the way they did - end of story.

Other counties are obviously doing it but are more discreet/smarter in how they go about it.

This bullshit of going through individual training plans is just to try to get off the hook.

Given the mass of negative publicity the GAA had after county finals I would expect a serious punishment here.

GOTB - are you trying to say these boys have never lifted weights before?

GetOverTheBar

If it was newer panellists, younger lads. I can see that yes. I'm taking it as face value. I don't see the value in trying to stop people doing what they are going to do anyway realistically. This is the time of year where you focus on power, so the weights are going to be at their highest before scaling down accordingly going towards games.

So now you'll have 3s and 4s going and meeting in home gyms all over the place, unsupervised (with the risks that comes with that) and untested (with the more immediate risks that comes with that). There is no point saying it doesn't happen, because it's set up for them by County teams.

What is the point stopping elite sports training when it was being regulated, purely PR by the GAA or back to their usual problem with insurance due to the amateur status. Would you rather not have them going to training, knowing they are being tested regularly rather than this, now it's a clandestine operation.

Don't even come back with "they shouldn't be training full stop". That's not even a go, considering they are planning on having the All Ireland in approximately 15 odd weeks.

Smurfy123

Get over the bar bullshit
What's to stop any gym opening under supervision?
What's to stop a landlord opening up his pub under strict supervision?
You are talking crap.

GetOverTheBar

I am talking crap?

You realise the PSNI took no action because Down are an elite GAA team which are fully allowed to operate under the laws of Northern Ireland at present.

The GAA itself has banned intercounty "training". Not the legistlation of NI....for example, there is a full round of fixtures in the NIFL Premier League this weekend (also elite teams).

So thats why gyms can't open or bars. They legally are not allowed to.

square_ball

I don't see how they get away without a punishment of some description particularly as it was only a few hours after the GAA changed the dates of collective training.

Angelo

Let them train away.

How many Covid cases are linked to sports teams training?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Smurfy123

Angelo agree to a certain point
But then why not let all sports teams train away??

pbat

This is about optics now and GAA hand will be forced to come down hard on them.

Angelo

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 07, 2021, 01:44:47 PM

I think all sports teams should be allowed train away within reasonable restrictions. It's a great outlet for people in terms of physical well being and societal interaction in these tough times at present. There is no real correlation with it in terms of the spread of the virus.

Allowing sports teams train brings far more good than bad at present but keeping the off licenses open is more important of course.........

APM

This is about leadership,
They were training in an area with one of the highest incidence of Covid in Europe,
Not justifiable

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2021, 01:55:34 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 07, 2021, 01:44:47 PM

I think all sports teams should be allowed train away within reasonable restrictions. It's a great outlet for people in terms of physical well being and societal interaction in these tough times at present. There is no real correlation with it in terms of the spread of the virus.

Allowing sports teams train brings far more good than bad at present but keeping the off licenses open is more important of course.........

You left out reduced suicides also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: APM on January 07, 2021, 01:57:49 PM
This is about leadership,
They were training in an area with one of the highest incidence of Covid in Europe,
Not justifiable

Many teams are training away in one of the highest incidence of Covid in Europe.