The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Rois on April 07, 2019, 09:42:56 AM
Thankfully now you can pick up at five over even in gross competitions.

I need to find a few others who will take me out to get my handicap. I am about to buy a house with access to a back gate into the golf course so will hopefully make it easier to get a few volunteers.

I always found Lurgan to be a friendly club.....you should have no problem getting your cards in for a handicap especially now as there is a stretch in the evenings.

PS.....don't think too many gross prizes would be won round Lurgan with +5 given the calibre of golfer they have.....remember playing against  the Magee's, Tim Cummings, Tom Douglas, Roy Hanna.....all top notch.....probably replaced by younger generation now.

Rois

Unless I'm in a mixed competition, can't see me being up against those. But plenty of star female golfers, a few of whom are on scholarships in the US.

Orior

Played County Cavan today.

Nice course and friendly opposition.

Only positive is that I finished with the same ball that I started with, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Frank_The_Tank

Looking forward to The Masters this week - always a great weekend to watch. 
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

trailer

Great to see Leona Maguire get her first professional win at the weekend. She has a very bright future ahead of her and is backed by Niall Horan's golf management company.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/irelands-leona-maguire-secures-her-first-professional-victory-with-stunning-performance-in-california-37992392.html

Looking forward to the Masters and really rooting for Rory to do the business.

TheOptimist

Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 06, 2019, 08:46:30 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on April 06, 2019, 06:34:24 PM
Got my first round in today for my handicap
Off the tee and putting I was shocking. Keep this up it will be a big one. Have to say though the two guys I played with at the club  were absolute gents and accommodating to my lack of class. Really made me enjoy it
Things I done well and was happy with but didn't give myself a chance.

Putting is the easiest to fix through practice as you can always go to the putting green for a half hour....as for driving my advice would be to try a 3 or 5 wood to build up. In my experience too many beginners were trying to hit driver.......you are better off being 150 yards down the fairway than 250 into the trees or rough. We all had to start somewhere....if I remember correctly my first score returned in a competition was a gross 148😩.

So I went out to the range last night to figure out where I was going wrong with the driver. Wouldn't you know couldn't hit the thing any straighter.

Was out putting this morning. I've never really practised it before to be honest

cornerback

Quote from: TheOptimist on April 09, 2019, 08:57:11 AM
Off the tee and putting I was shocking. Keep this up it will be a big one. Have to say though the two guys I played with at the club  were absolute gents and accommodating to my lack of class. Really made me enjoy it

Putting is the easiest to fix through practice as you can always go to the putting green for a half hour....as for driving my advice would be to try a 3 or 5 wood to build up. In my experience too many beginners were trying to hit driver.......you are better off being 150 yards down the fairway than 250 into the trees or rough. We all had to start somewhere....if I remember correctly my first score returned in a competition was a gross 148😩.

So I went out to the range last night to figure out where I was going wrong with the driver. Wouldn't you know couldn't hit the thing any straighter.

Was out putting this morning. I've never really practised it before to be honest

Was doing the same last friday night at the range... then first tee on sunday morning - straight right out of bounds!!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Insane Bolt

Don't become obsessed with driver........try hitting your 3 or 5 ....build up your confidence.
As for putting practice......I used to do half hour.....started off just practicing distance putting..ie from one end of green to the other....not trying to hole anything......then would do 25 feet, 20 etc right down to 3 feet...and then I had to hole 20 in a row before I could quit....kept me focused.
Have you had any lessons?

Orior

Explain to me why I can only hit the driver off the tee?

If its a longish par 3, then I would rather go down the shaft of my driver (ooh err missus) than hit a hybrid or 3 wood or 5 wood. These tend to either slice wildly right or snap hook left in 50 50 proportions.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Quote from: Orior on April 09, 2019, 02:04:56 PM
Explain to me why I can only hit the driver off the tee?

If its a longish par 3, then I would rather go down the shaft of my driver (ooh err missus) than hit a hybrid or 3 wood or 5 wood. These tend to either slice wildly right or snap hook left in 50 50 proportions.

You hit whatever club makes you feel good Orior . . . you just do you!

thebigfella

Hit the driver and hit it hard as you can  ;D

To be honest the only way you can build up confidence with the driver is to play it - caveat being you don't have some underlying swing flaw (but that most likely manifests in the shorter woods too).

At the moment I'm toying around with the TM Gapr low 2 and 3 utility irons. Probs will be 3 with loft lowered as I prefer the club face to be open at address (lofting up on 2 closes it). Either way as the courses firm up I reckon it will replace the 3 wood option and certainly straight in the bag for a links.

TheOptimist

Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 09, 2019, 01:00:12 PM

Don't become obsessed with driver........try hitting your 3 or 5 ....build up your confidence.
As for putting practice......I used to do half hour.....started off just practicing distance putting..ie from one end of green to the other....not trying to hole anything......then would do 25 feet, 20 etc right down to 3 feet...and then I had to hole 20 in a row before I could quit....kept me focused.

Never had a lesson. I've heard people advise it and others advise against it.

How much difference does the ball you use make?

trailer

Quote from: TheOptimist on April 10, 2019, 01:36:19 PM

Lessons are worthwhile. Depends if you want to get better or if you're not to fussed. But if you want to improve it's a good investment.

The ball makes literally no difference. It's down to how the clubs, ball etc make you feel. At the top pro level the margins are so fine, a shot here a shot there over 72 holes the ball can make a marginal difference. But with average golfer on a Sunday roll up it doesn't matter a jack.

Applesisapples

Quote from: trailer on April 10, 2019, 01:51:20 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on April 10, 2019, 01:36:19 PM

Lessons are worthwhile. Depends if you want to get better or if you're not to fussed. But if you want to improve it's a good investment.

The ball makes literally no difference. It's down to how the clubs, ball etc make you feel. At the top pro level the margins are so fine, a shot here a shot there over 72 holes the ball can make a marginal difference. But with average golfer on a Sunday roll up it doesn't matter a jack.
100% on the ball, I've played with Pro V I's and Sports Directs cheapest with no real difference. On lessons they are a great investment, but I take them on aspects that are causing me problems and ask the pro to give me one thing to change, you don't want 5 thoughts in your head.

thewobbler

The ball does make a difference.

New golfers and golfers with an erratic swing should stay away from balls with a high spin rate, as it will only accentuate the inevitable hook or slice.

And while I do believe that 99% of golfers get no benefit from a prov1 over the next rung of balls down, there's no doubt that a softer ball provides a better feel on and around the greens.

Stay away from rock hard balls and stay away from high spin rates.