Connacht Minor, U-20 and Junior championships 2020

Started by Farrandeelin, April 25, 2018, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Blowitupref

Full time Galway 0-16 Mayo 0-10. The tribesmen eased to victory and were never in any danger of losing that game.   

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 10, 2019, 08:54:09 PM
Full time Galway 0-16 Mayo 0-10. The tribesmen eased to victory and were never in any danger of losing that game.   

Yeah good win in the end. Got 9 points up and Mayo got a few scores back in the final 10 mins.

I think there was a bigger Galway crowd there tonight than was down in Limerick last weekend.

Don't even know who they play next but that's an impressive run of wins behind them now.

Blowitupref

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 10, 2019, 09:10:42 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 10, 2019, 08:54:09 PM

Yeah good win in the end. Got 9 points up and Mayo got a few scores back in the final 10 mins.

I think there was a bigger Galway crowd there tonight than was down in Limerick last weekend.

Don't even know who they play next but that's an impressive run of wins behind them now.

Laois or Dublin.

Maroon Manc

Would have been a dreadful week if Galway hadn't won last night, sounds like a very comfortable win. How did Tierney play?

We won't know how good this group are until the next day although I do think this is a poor Mayo team. Galway hammered Mayo u17's & U18's in 2017. I see Solan get plenty of criticism but he can't perform miracles if the players aren't there.

Galway have 4 wins in a row against Mayo at this level. I still maintain they threw away a great opportunity last year to go very far and win against the Dubs in 2017 through poor management.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 11, 2019, 09:47:24 AM
Would have been a dreadful week if Galway hadn't won last night, sounds like a very comfortable win. How did Tierney play?

We won't know how good this group are until the next day although I do think this is a poor Mayo team. Galway hammered Mayo u17's & U18's in 2017. I see Solan get plenty of criticism but he can't perform miracles if the players aren't there.

Galway have 4 wins in a row against Mayo at this level. I still maintain they threw away a great opportunity last year to go very far and win against the Dubs in 2017 through poor management.
Yeah, it was pretty comfortable and was more or less over as a contest once Galway went 9 up early in the 2nd half.

Tierney was so so.  Probably his least effective game at this level so far this year.  Got into the game more in the second half and kicked a fine long distance free near the end but overall I thought we played second fiddle to Mayo around the middle for long periods of the game.

Ross Mahon and Sean Mulkerrin were solid at the back and some of the tackles and blocks through the game were top drawer at times.  The 2 Costello's and Darragh Silke were the pick of the forwards with Liam Costello kicking 4 pts from play for a MOTM performance.  The forwards high press on the Mayo backs caused a lot of turnovers in our favour and a led to a few nice scores through the first half especially - Divilly's influence there for sure.

We had good wins against the Dubs and Kerry in the John Kerins cup but its hard to know if those 2 were at full strength personnel wise for those games - I have my doubts.  Anyway, its either the Dubs again or Laois in the semi final in a few weeks time.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 11, 2019, 10:09:10 AM

Yeah, it was pretty comfortable and was more or less over as a contest once Galway went 9 up early in the 2nd half.

Tierney was so so.  Probably his least effective game at this level so far this year.  Got into the game more in the second half and kicked a fine long distance free near the end but overall I thought we played second fiddle to Mayo around the middle for long periods of the game.

Ross Mahon and Sean Mulkerrin were solid at the back and some of the tackles and blocks through the game were top drawer at times.  The 2 Costello's and Darragh Silke were the pick of the forwards with Liam Costello kicking 4 pts from play for a MOTM performance.  The forwards high press on the Mayo backs caused a lot of turnovers in our favour and a led to a few nice scores through the first half especially - Divilly's influence there for sure.

We had good wins against the Dubs and Kerry in the John Kerins cup but its hard to know if those 2 were at full strength personnel wise for those games - I have my doubts.  Anyway, its either the Dubs again or Laois in the semi final in a few weeks time.

A lot of talk about PJ as the next Galway senior manager but he's still a rookie in management and would be a little soon to give him the senior gig yet. John Divilly would be a more suitable candidate to replace KW is he does step down this year.

The Dubs apparently played a 2nd string team in that John Kerins cup game as it was a dead rubber game while Kerry played a strong team. 

On Mayo, last year they won U20 Connacht and reached the AI final, before that championship started you could make a case that they were a "poor team" based  on their minor performances in 2016,2017 but their improvement came about due to what they did at schools level whereby a number of their players played in or won All Ireland schools titles.

One final note relating to this thread. The Connacht Junior champions Galway play Meath in the All Ireland semi final in Hyde Park on Saturday the winner will play Kerry in the AI final.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 11, 2019, 01:20:04 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 11, 2019, 10:09:10 AM

A lot of talk about PJ as the next Galway senior manager but he's still a rookie in management and would be a little soon to give him the senior gig yet. John Divilly would be a more suitable candidate to replace KW is he does step down this year.

The Dubs apparently played a 2nd string team in that John Kerins cup game as it was a dead rubber game while Kerry played a strong team. 

On Mayo, last year they won U20 Connacht and reached the AI final, before that championship started you could make a case that they were a "poor team" based  on their minor performances in 2016,2017 but their improvement came about due to what they did at schools level whereby a number of their players played in or won All Ireland schools titles.

One final note relating to this thread. The Connacht Junior champions Galway play Meath in the All Ireland semi final in Hyde Park on Saturday the winner will play Kerry in the AI final.
My personal preference would be to see PJ and Divilly remain within the U20 grade for 2 - 3 seasons and then move up to the top gig if that is what they ultimately desire - would be more beneficial to the management and players from a development perspective and also later at senior level etc. 

Cunny Funt

AI junior semi final AET Galway 7-17 Meath 5-22. No blanket defences in that game.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 13, 2019, 03:08:33 PM
AI junior semi final AET Galway 7-17 Meath 5-22. No blanket defences in that game.
Fair play to both teams, savage scoreline for a game of football!!!!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 13, 2019, 03:08:33 PM

Would have got your money's worth if you headed along to that anyway.

giveballaghback

Special post for sligonian, yere small mindedness and hate of the rossies probably cost ye a Connacht minor championship, Ros were clearly 4th after in my opinion and i saw all teams playing Sligo, Mayo Galway but ye put out a full team against us knowing ye could not improve on a semi final spot a semi that being played  the following mid-week, if ye ran yere panal against us and lost Mayo would have been out, ye more than likely would have beaten Galway and ye were 7pts a better team than us but ye were clouded by yere hatred of ros and paid a heavy price. Small minds usually reap small rewards ;D

Rossfan

Indeed Ballagh whatever the reason it was the height of stupidity by the Sligo manager.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM