The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

How many convictions does Trump have for bribery or corruption after 40+ years doing business in some of the most corrupt (and Democratic) districts in the country

Never mind convictions ......how many times has he been brought up on charges?

seafoid

Trump is so out of his depth. He just wants people to look at him.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Trump ranting about fake news. There was a candidate also called Trump who tweeted that Alicia Menendez had a sex video.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Quote from: Gmac on January 11, 2017, 09:11:18 PM
whoever owns buzzfeed the website that published the story about trump and hookers better have some deep pockets or excellent attorneys when the Donald comes after them , btw ithe website was started by former huffington post people and has huge investments from NBC its no wonder no one believes a word that CNN , NBC  say or publish .

There's no way buzzfeed would have posted that without all the correct disclaimers. . . if he was suing them we would have heard by now!!

Also libel in the US is very easy to skirt around which is why Trump constantly talked on his campaign about "opening up those libel laws". It'll be interested.

His behaviour at the Presser yesterday was laughable though. Yes we believe that you are in talks with Mexico about them paying for "the fence-it's not a fence, it's a wall" after it's built... good one  ;) ;)

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 12, 2017, 01:08:13 AM
How many convictions does Trump have for bribery or corruption after 40+ years doing business in some of the most corrupt (and Democratic) districts in the country

How many does Clinton have?

Trump openly boasted about using donations to get his way, saying there was no one better than him to combat the practice given his expertise and experience. And that's just his own testimony.

He is plainly a believer in rich people using money to buy favours and influence in government. And now he won't do what his predecessors have done to divest of his holdings and possible conflicts of interest. He refuses to be transparent about his taxes and businesses. Doesn't take much maths to figure out where this could lead.

You said yourself it was disgraceful.

J70

Quote from: screenexile on January 12, 2017, 09:52:26 AM
Quote from: Gmac on January 11, 2017, 09:11:18 PM
whoever owns buzzfeed the website that published the story about trump and hookers better have some deep pockets or excellent attorneys when the Donald comes after them , btw ithe website was started by former huffington post people and has huge investments from NBC its no wonder no one believes a word that CNN , NBC  say or publish .

There's no way buzzfeed would have posted that without all the correct disclaimers. . . if he was suing them we would have heard by now!!

Also libel in the US is very easy to skirt around which is why Trump constantly talked on his campaign about "opening up those libel laws". It'll be interested.

His behaviour at the Presser yesterday was laughable though. Yes we believe that you are in talks with Mexico about them paying for "the fence-it's not a fence, it's a wall" after it's built... good one  ;) ;)

Just last week he had new information to reveal on the Russian hacking which would cast doubt of the conclusions of the intelligence agencies. Now he admits they're involved.

Just like his detectives were discovering 'unbelievable things" on their Hawaiian birth cert hunt (still waiting for them to be revealed!).

Or the press conference his wife was going to give to address questions about her visa situation 20 years ago. Didn't happen.

It's basically anything to distract in the moment and then hope everyone forgets.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2017, 11:11:19 AM

Trump openly boasted about using donations to get his way, saying there was no one better than him to combat the practice given his expertise and experience. And that's just his own testimony.

He is plainly a believer in rich people using money to buy favours and influence in government. And now he won't do what his predecessors have done to divest of his holdings and possible conflicts of interest. He refuses to be transparent about his taxes and businesses. Doesn't take much maths to figure out where this could lead.

So you don't have a problem with the Clintons personally enriching themselves to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars  while peddling access while Hillary was Sec of State? (

One of their closest aides and the top guy at the Clinton Foundation said in writing that there were about 500 potential conflicts of interest with the  Clinton Foundation

Dems now have their hair on fire about "potential" Trump conflicts of interest while completely ignoring "actual" conflicts of interest with the Clintons

Selective outrage at its finest

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 12, 2017, 12:38:27 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2017, 11:11:19 AM

So you don't have a problem with the Clintons personally enriching themselves to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars  while peddling access while Hillary was Sec of State? (

One of their closest aides and the top guy at the Clinton Foundation said in writing that there were about 500 potential conflicts of interest with the  Clinton Foundation

Dems now have their hair on fire about "potential" Trump conflicts of interest while completely ignoring "actual" conflicts of interest with the Clintons

Selective outrage at its finest

I've already explained the distinction, but you seem to be missing it. (And stop trying to put words in my mouth)

I voted for Clinton despite the allegations, given the alternative and based on policies (and there was only a choice of him or her). Their foundation had already said it would no longer accept foreign or corporate donations if she became president. While Trump had an admitted history of corrupting the political process. I didn't choose Hillary because she was less corrupt. I chose and argued for her because she by far the more palatable and serious of two poor candidates with questionable ethics and possible histories of corruption.

And given your seemingly obsessive compulsion to cry "outrage" at every post, Trump himself continually railed against "crooked Hillary", pay for play, and corruption of the Clinton Foundation. It was a decisive factor in his election.

But now, after all that, he is brazenly saying "f**k you, I'll do what I want and there's nothing you can do about it" to similar concerns about conflicts of interest. At least her foundation made pledges that conflicts of interest would be eliminated.

So it is perfectly valid to discuss that he is setting things up to potentially put his personal business over the interests of the country given that he was elected after a scorched earth campaign based partly on ridding D.C. of precisely that. It is perfectly valid that the people and press hold him to the same standard that Hillary was held to (including by him) and which helped doom her campaign.

I'm not "outraged". I expected nothing less. Those who voted for him to "drain the swamp" in the other hand...

The Iceman

I don't think we would be in good shape whoever won.  Not accepting donations from people who have funded you for years just because you are Presitdent doesn't mean their influence goes away J70 - lets be honest here. She wouldn't have been good for the country - its why she lost and Trump won. I don't think he won because people think he is great  - the democrats put forward their worst candidate and lost.

So instead of arguing back and forth American citizens and us Eireannach living over here need to focus on local government surely? If the politicial system was working properly here the POTUS shouldn't have all the power. Work at the local level, then the state level and change what you can instead of everyone pouring energy in to arguing over he said she said..
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Iceman, there's degrees of "not being in good shape"!

And the fact is that the president DOES have a lot of power. And there are a lot of things that NEED to be addressed at a federal level. Environmental issues don't begin and end at state borders. Neither does the need for people to be allowed to live respectable, dignified lives.

But yes, of course a lot can be done at local and state level. The actions of a lot of cities on climate change and LBGT stuff being obvious examples.

On the donations, yes, fair point, but does that mean there should be NO oversight or standards or expectations?

I'm all for limiting campaign spending and strict oversight of influence, but there's no prospect of that ever happening.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: The Iceman on January 12, 2017, 01:31:51 PM
I don't think we would be in good shape whoever won.  Not accepting donations from people who have funded you for years just because you are Presitdent doesn't mean their influence goes away J70 - lets be honest here. She wouldn't have been good for the country - its why she lost and Trump won. I don't think he won because people think he is great  - the democrats put forward their worst candidate and lost.

So instead of arguing back and forth American citizens and us Eireannach living over here need to focus on local government surely? If the politicial system was working properly here the POTUS shouldn't have all the power. Work at the local level, then the state level and change what you can instead of everyone pouring energy in to arguing over he said she said..

What democrat candidate would have beaten Trump? More to the point will any democrat candidate be able to stop him from becoming re-elected in 4 years time?

This is not that I think Trump is great he is arguably the biggest buffoon to walk into the Whitehouse however it's his online campaign to paint his candidates in the worst possible light and the now obvious help from the Russians that has his president in a few a few weeks and for the next 8 years.

whitey

Joe Biden would have beaten Trump in a second.  He was on Morning Joe during the Democratic Convention warning that the Democrats were ignoring the issues that were most important to working Americans.  Instead Hillary and her campaign pandered almost exclusively to the socially progressive wing of the party. She had plenty to say about transgender bathrooms and climate change but fvck all to say about jobs or how she would fix healthcare

J70

Seriously whitey?? ;D

I guess she wasn't making shit up about trade wars bringing factories back and that repealing Obamacare with some as yet undetermined replacement would solve these issues, but just because the entire campaign season was consumed with emails, pussy-grabbing and "build the wall" doesn't mean that Hillary was not addressing those issues.

As for Biden... who knows? He never got much traction before and the GOP machine never went to work on him (same with Bernie).

Lots of candidates are good in theory. Actually running is another thing. Ask the GOP "deep bench". Giuliani in 2008. Hillary in 2008.

Anyway, it's all academic.

We have our president-elect, warts, orange hair, twitter account, thin skin, conflicts of interest and all.  :P

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2017, 03:56:10 PM
Seriously whitey?? ;D

I guess she wasn't making shit up about trade wars bringing factories back and that repealing Obamacare with some as yet undetermined replacement would solve these issues, but just because the entire campaign season was consumed with emails, pussy-grabbing and "build the wall" doesn't mean that Hillary was not addressing those issues.

As for Biden... who knows? He never got much traction before and the GOP machine never went to work on him (same with Bernie).

Lots of candidates are good in theory. Actually running is another thing. Ask the GOP "deep bench". Giuliani in 2008. Hillary in 2008.

We have our president-elect, warts, orange hair, twitter account, thin skin, conflicts of interest and all.  :P

Whether you believe him or not is besides the point....enough swing voters in enough swing states did, and that's what got him elected. He constantly addressed the issue and made it one of the main components of his message.......she didn't!

And even if she did, nobody would believe her anyway because she is a proven Liar
who will say anything to get elected

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 12, 2017, 04:32:32 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2017, 03:56:10 PM
Seriously whitey?? ;D

Whether you believe him or not is besides the point....enough swing voters in enough swing states did, and that's what got him elected. He constantly addressed the issue and made it one of the main components of his message.......she didn't!

And even if she did, nobody would believe her anyway because she is a proven Liar
who will say anything to get elected

I think his proven track record of bullshit and lies FAR exceeds that of Hillary or any other person who ran, ever, never mind won.

Of all the sticks you could use to beat Hillary with in comparison to Trump, lying is by far the most ridiculous!