Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Farr, i'd be surprised if the CB contacted Rochford this week. They'd surely wait until after next Sunday when nominations close, in the hope that some club will have nominated him in the meantime.. Looking in from the outside, the entire process seems to be a mess.. Look at the facts. There is only one serious candidate left in the frame, and he already manages another team, and could still be for another 4 months plus. When the Mayo players revolted, this scenario is hardly what they envisaged.

rodney trotter

If he is assembling a strong backroom team his commitment with Corofin for a few more months shouldn't be a big deal.

Shrewdness

You're probably right Rodney, and anyway, who knows, Corofin mightn't even make it out of Connacht this year.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on October 27, 2015, 02:03:02 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 27, 2015, 01:04:37 PM
Rochford hasn't been approached by the CB yet, according to Midwest.

John Evans might be yer best bet lads. Sure to be motivated.

He was motivated coming up to manage your herd alright, but ye knocked the enthusiasm out of him by the end.
No matter what he tried, ye reverted to type.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 27, 2015, 01:17:36 PM
Quote from: mayo.mick on October 26, 2015, 02:44:34 PM

Can't make head nor tail out of what Mac Éil has to say.
How could whatever happened in New York 18  months ago lead to Pat & Noel getting shafted?

18 months ago the county board organised a fundraiser for the diaspora in the US that the team didn t bother to attend. Then individual/individuals involved in the management team organised a fundraiser of their own and the county board does not know where those funds raised went.

That appears to be what McHale is saying and McHale is no spoofer.

He does not is no speculate where the unofficial funds went. We can speculate about that ourselves.

That appears to be what

Chimley

If only the county board had adopted the strategic plan when they had the chance...

All fundraising processes etc. were covered there.

It's funny to see them circling the wagons and making accusations of outside influences in the wake of how they treated the people involved in that piece of work.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on October 27, 2015, 05:22:40 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 27, 2015, 01:17:36 PM
Quote from: mayo.mick on October 26, 2015, 02:44:34 PM

Can't make head nor tail out of what Mac Éil has to say.
How could whatever happened in New York 18  months ago lead to Pat & Noel getting shafted?

18 months ago the county board organised a fundraiser for the diaspora in the US that the team didn t bother to attend. Then individual/individuals involved in the management team organised a fundraiser of their own and the county board does not know where those funds raised went.

That appears to be what McHale is saying and McHale is no spoofer.

He does not is no speculate where the unofficial funds went. We can speculate about that ourselves.

That appears to be what

There are donors who would rather their money went towards the needs of the players, rather than on property deals. The CB publicly called them scams: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mayo-gaa-supporters-warned-of-fundraising-scams-1.1507164 The article doesn't mention how many of the expenses for various county teams weren't paid for by the CB. It is also very light on any evidence of them being 'scams', and when I say light on evidence, I mean they provided no evidence at all. Merely rhetoric and sensation.

The CB has long thrown nasty comments in that direction, including ordering groups to close down, and that all money must be directed to them and them only.

I suspect Horan was more interested in raising funds that directly helped his quest, rather than paid off loans. I have made donations over the years, but none to any CB fund.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Maybe there's a reason the CB didn't stump up all the funds, Muppet. From all accounts Horan was burning through money like a Wall Street banker. The CB is damned if they do and damned if they don't in that situation.

Surely the real solution was Horan not spending the money as excessively as he did, not organising top-ups on the side for himself with no accountability?

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on October 28, 2015, 03:59:46 PM
Maybe there's a reason the CB didn't stump up all the funds, Muppet. From all accounts Horan was burning through money like a Wall Street banker. The CB is damned if they do and damned if they don't in that situation.

Surely the real solution was Horan not spending the money as excessively as he did, not organising top-ups on the side for himself with no accountability?

This issue goes way, way back, probably way before Horan was even a player.

One thing appears to me to be absolutely certain, the CB will apportion lots of blame, but they will accept none of it.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on October 28, 2015, 04:03:58 PM

One thing appears to me to be absolutely certain, the CB will apportion lots of blame, but they will accept none of it.

Seems what way but I don't know if opting out of the GAA's already paper-thin accountability structures is an appropriate response. It's never likely to end well. The best than can be done is trying to change opinions from the inside and gathering the support for a regime change.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on October 28, 2015, 04:12:15 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 28, 2015, 04:03:58 PM

Seems what way but I don't know if opting out of the GAA's already paper-thin accountability structures is an appropriate response. It's never likely to end well. The best than can be done is trying to change opinions from the inside and gathering the support for a regime change.

I am not advocating anything.

However, to read CB officials shouting 'scams', without backing anything up with evidence, makes it less likely that I would even considering donating via their structures.

Now we have an official trying to link an issue with a fund raising event 18 months ago, under a previous management team, to the recent players' heave. It looks like a very convenient smokescreen to me, and it nicely smears the players' heave with 'fund raising issues'. Of course the true agenda seems to slip out when he says 'the County Board was undermined'. He also says 'It is a sheer power struggle somewhere'.

Remember two delegates resigned last year over the managerial appointment process. Officially there is very little connection being made between the shabby appointment process and the motion of no confidence in the successful candidates from that shabby process.

Of course, then, we had to move on, but now, no conspiracy stone will be left unturned. Now everything is an existential threat, oblivion looms for Mayo GAA, financial scams abound everywhere. But don't dare question the CBs role in anything, that of course would be treasonous.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Is the Corofin manager not from Mayo? would he be in with much of  shout ?

galwayman

Quote from: seafoid on October 28, 2015, 05:48:27 PM
He is the favourite for the job seafoid

Rossfan

Will the appointment be made before this hits 100 pages! :)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on October 28, 2015, 05:48:27 PM
Yes a Mayo man. With Horan saying no to a return the appointment of Rochford seems a formality at this stage.