Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleaflad

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on June 11, 2019, 10:15:29 AM
Quote from: TabClear on June 11, 2019, 08:09:29 AM
Anyone got any experience of booking last minute holidays during the summer for a family? 2 Adults and 2 kids 4&7 going early August.

The problem I have  is that because of a work commitment I do not know exactly what  day I will get off until probably 2 weeks before so my exact holidays could move by 4-5 days either way. To make it worse I have a family wedding early August so if the project at work drags on I would not be able to go at all which is the reason why I do not want to book now. Happy to fly from either Belfast or Dublin but not sure what is the best way to go about looking for somewhere decent. Money is not the concern, its more about getting somewhere good for the kids that late in the day. Should I be ringing travel agents directly when I know the dates or just look online as normal? I have had a few people tell me that normal travel search websites will only have the dregs left that late in the day.  :(

Haven't used a travel agent in years. All our holidays have been booked online, even at a late stage.
Using a particular website or just booking flights and hotel separately yourself? We're thinking of going on a cheap sunny holiday in Europe, just myself and herself, for a few nights if anyone has any recommendations.

toby47

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 11, 2019, 10:20:30 AM
Anyone got any experience of booking last minute holidays during the summer for a family? 2 Adults and 2 kids 4&7 going early August.

The problem I have  is that because of a work commitment I do not know exactly what  day I will get off until probably 2 weeks before so my exact holidays could move by 4-5 days either way. To make it worse I have a family wedding early August so if the project at work drags on I would not be able to go at all which is the reason why I do not want to book now. Happy to fly from either Belfast or Dublin but not sure what is the best way to go about looking for somewhere decent. Money is not the concern, its more about getting somewhere good for the kids that late in the day. Should I be ringing travel agents directly when I know the dates or just look online as normal? I have had a few people tell me that normal travel search websites will only have the dregs left that late in the day.  :(

Haven't used a travel agent in years. All our holidays have been booked online, even at a late stage.
Using a particular website or just booking flights and hotel separately yourself? We're thinking of going on a cheap sunny holiday in Europe, just myself and herself, for a few nights if anyone has any recommendations.

I'd be the same - haven't used a travel agents in years.

Book flight, usually use skyscanner to browse flights and then book hotel. Airbnb is a great job now also

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 11, 2019, 10:20:30 AM

To be fair I have used a number of different sites to book holidays, even taken non ATOL risk booking flights, hotels separately (when it was really last minute) . I usually start on Travel Republic and if i find something decent I will then price it elsewhere to see if I can get it even cheaper.  Just give yourself a few hours online browsing time and a bit of patience (and the obligatory trip advisor review check).
Handy hint dont get bogged down trying to save yourself a tenner on a holiday. If you like the look of it then theres a fair chance someone else will to and snatch it.

Christmas Lights

Jet2 Holidays probably the best way to go if you want all inclusive with the kids that young.  You cannot book it cheaper yourself separately as i have looked into that option.

screenexile

Need to book something for my wife's 40th next January preferably a citybreak around that time. It's not usually a time of year we'd head away has anyone any ideas of what to do??

Was thinking New York maybe but I'm thinking January wouldn't be the best time. All recommendations welcome.

PS. Not winter sun would rather be doing something.

tyrone exile

Quote from: screenexile on June 20, 2019, 03:07:11 PM
Need to book something for my wife's 40th next January preferably a citybreak around that time. It's not usually a time of year we'd head away has anyone any ideas of what to do??

Was thinking New York maybe but I'm thinking January wouldn't be the best time. All recommendations welcome.

Stay away from NY in January, too cold to enjoy yourself or do much.

Boycey

New York is cracking at any time of the year, especially if yis not been before? Potential to be pretty damn cold alright, but they know how to deal with it and the place won't grind to a halt like here.

Dubai? Jan probably best time to go as regards heat etc, plenty to do without having to lounge in the sun

bennydorano

Question

Checking in online with Aer Lingus - 5 of us going on hols, I have the App and can download the boarding passes, can I just WhatsApp (screenshot) each individual their boarding pass - will Aer Lingus accept it in that format? Would it be able to read a screenshotted boarding pass??

gallsman

Is it a QR code? If so, is absolutely fine.

Alternatively, you can just swipe everybody through using the original passes on your own phone.

trailer

Quote from: bennydorano on June 20, 2019, 03:16:53 PM
Question

Checking in online with Aer Lingus - 5 of us going on hols, I have the App and can download the boarding passes, can I just WhatsApp (screenshot) each individual their boarding pass - will Aer Lingus accept it in that format? Would it be able to read a screenshotted boarding pass??

You can usually just send them to each person. That way they can be stored in the other phones as well.

manfromdelmonte

Bangkok

Ball Hopper

New York on the run-up to Christmas is a very good time to visit. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on June 20, 2019, 03:16:53 PM
Question

I always screenshot my QR code on easyjet just in case the app doesn't load and have used it previously without any issues.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 20, 2019, 04:36:29 PM

Bangkok
That's the least he'll be expecting off the missus for a big holiday away  ;)

Rois

Skiing  ;D

Miami.