The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nutsy--1

Does any Liverpool supporter think liverpool can win the Title this Season. honestly???

Double Cross

With Gerrard out for 3 weeks and Torres looking very fragile I doubt they can win it. I have always said that Liverpool wont win the league under Benitez, he doesnt understand the English game well enough. To win the league you have to play your strongest team week in week out, he has also signed some medioce players for top money.
I would dearly love to be proved wrong though.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

corn02

Quote from: nutsy--1 on February 05, 2009, 11:59:26 PM
Does any Liverpool supporter think liverpool can win the Title this Season. honestly???

No and never did at any stage. We have not been great, big games aside, from day one.

nifan

I see rafa was talking of striking options int he wake of selling keane.
He went as far as mentioning Nemeth (season long loan and broken cheekbone right now) and Pacheco

AZOffaly

Quote from: nifan on February 06, 2009, 09:38:20 AM
I see rafa was talking of striking options int he wake of selling keane.
He went as far as mentioning Nemeth (season long loan and broken cheekbone right now) and Pacheco

It's absolutely farcical. Everything he opens his mouth I lose more faith in him. He's like Brian Cowen at this stage (although at least Brian is trying to rally over the last few days). Can anyone say that the minute Keane was sold, they didn't immediately say 'If Gerrard or Torres gets injured we are f*cked' ? I know I did, and providence being what it is, the very next game sees Gerrard go down and Torres looking hampered at best.

If Keane was still there, the lineup could have been 4-4-1-1 with Keane just off Torres (as I hoped it always would be) and a 4 of Kuyt, Alonso, Mascherano, Reira.

Now Kuyt will probably go up front, and Benayoun will come in on the right, I'd imagine.

So from this

Kuyt  Alonso, Mascherano, Reira

Keane
              Torres

To this

Benayoun Alonso Mascherano Reira

Kuyt
            Torres

If Torres goes down or comes off, you're now looking at a partnership (sic) of Kuyt and Babel or Kuyt and N'gog. Jaysus.

Anyone else not mind seeing Benayoun tried in that role in 'the hole'. It'd be a slightly different role than Gerrard fills as he drives forward into that space, but I think Benayoun would enjoy dropping off a front man and being a prompter around the edge of the box.

Chrisowc

Everytime I see Babel's name on the team sheet I think great this is your chance to show what you can do.  Usually after 15 minutes I'm thinking give yourself a shake!
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

EC Unique

XABI ALONSO has admitted there is "war" at Liverpool.

He is concerned boss Rafa Benitez remains at loggerheads with Kop chiefs George Gillett and Tom Hicks over a new deal.

Alonso said: "The owners and Rafa seem to be involved in a tug of war.

"Even if they are trying to resolve it for the better of the club, there is no question in my mind when you have the right man for the job, securing his continuity is important.

"We've been through our bad moments but constant change, or change for the sake of it, isn't a good thing at a club like this.

"It's a subject between Rafa and the owners and the team must not let it affect us at any cost but my personal bet is Rafa will stay with Liverpool.

"When he came here, Liverpool had a massive history but they had lost competitiveness compared to the other European greats — and had spent a long time without winning major trophies.

"From his arrival to now, you can feel the progress and that he's put Liverpool back where they once were — amongst Europe's greats and aspiring to win everything we enter."

Benitez, who took over in June 2004, has yet to sign a new contract because he wants more control over transfers.

And Liverpool, knocked out of the FA Cup by Everton on Wednesday, are reeling with the news Steven Gerrard could be out for three weeks with a hamstring injury.

The captain misses tomorrow's trip to Portsmouth and the home game with Manchester City on February 22.

He will also sit out England's friendly against Spain on Wednesday.

Gerrard is touch and go for the first-leg clash at Real Madrid in the last 16 of the Champions League on February 25.

Benitez admits Gerro will be missed but remains focused on silverware.

The Reds boss said: "He is an important player for us. It is always more difficult to play without him.

"But you can't change things so it is better to concentrate on the next game."

FermGael

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2009, 09:45:54 AM

Anyone else not mind seeing Benayoun tried in that role in 'the hole'. It'd be a slightly different role than Gerrard fills as he drives forward into that space, but I think Benayoun would enjoy dropping off a front man and being a prompter around the edge of the box.

Yep.  Think it would suit him perfectly.  I do not thinkwe have any other option for Portsmouth.
Kuyt would not be the man to play in behind.  would suit Benayoun perfectly
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

AZOffaly

I'd try that formation for home games..... Swap Gerrard and Benayou with Mascherano coming in for games where we won't have as much ball.

For Portsmouth, with Gerrard out, I'd go

Or Maybe even

corn02

Quote from: FermGael on February 06, 2009, 09:50:09 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2009, 09:45:54 AM

Yep.  Think it would suit him perfectly.  I do not thinkwe have any other option for Portsmouth.
Kuyt would not be the man to play in behind.  would suit Benayoun perfectly

Seconded. The man is one of the few creative players we have. Garcia like, both frustrating as hell but brilliant at times.

I think Yossi has a big role to play.

nutsy--1

thats not being trampish!!

Its only a bit of fun calm down.