The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

trileacman

Quote from: thewobbler on February 24, 2010, 01:54:55 PM
I don't see why they would want to increase the number of replacements available.

The last 20 mins of one-sided games turns into a complete mess as it is when both managers empty their benches.

Throw in the financial side of it too. 15 replacements maybe isn't such a big issue for Ireland, but if the likes of Connacht had to cart another 8 bodies across Europe for all their away fixtures, that would add a considerable hole in their finances.

Trileacman, the point Pat was making is that if both your lock-forwards get crocked, then you've one on the bench, and someone from the back-row can fill in. This might necessitate a winger/centre coming into the back-row, but it's do-able. If you want to continue covering off disaster scenerios such as when everyone who can kick a ball gets hurt at once, meaning there's no cover for fly-half, well you might has well have 30 men on the bench then.
Point taken but who said it had to be in place for the challenge cup or the magners league. The 6 nations couid easily accomdate ten. Surely that would go some way to facilitating a more fair system. I'm sick of seeing games where an injury occurs and it calls for an entire reshuffle of the front 8 or back 5, changing many players into unfamilar positions and destroying a gameplan. Under the current system a team is punished severly for being unlucky enough to have one injury (or having a player taken out of it) but yet two injuries can cause the scrum to be declared void. The team in this situation benefits as they can throw on a 4th back-rower to power round the pitch and dominate the loose.

The crux of my argument is why should two injuries be a better thing than one?? ??? ??? (in the context of a front row)
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AZOffaly

Because then we'd be in uncontested scrums and we could bring on back rowers as an extra forward. One injury would be replaced by Buckley, two would leave no props left.

turk

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 23, 2010, 02:38:15 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 23, 2010, 01:28:14 PM
Cannot understand how O'Leary is still on that team. Good luck to Sexton receiving ball from him.

Odds are the scum will be a better platform than last time out so that should improve the service to O'Leary firstly so we'll see how that works out then to Sexton

That's harsh - the pack might struggle at some set pieces but they are doing their best

Celt_Man

Quote from: turk on February 24, 2010, 05:38:48 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 23, 2010, 02:38:15 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 23, 2010, 01:28:14 PM
Cannot understand how O'Leary is still on that team. Good luck to Sexton receiving ball from him.

Odds are the scum will be a better platform than last time out so that should improve the service to O'Leary firstly so we'll see how that works out then to Sexton

That's harsh - the pack might struggle at some set pieces but they are doing their best

oops
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

trileacman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 24, 2010, 04:50:08 PM
Because then we'd be in uncontested scrums and we could bring on back rowers as an extra forward. One injury would be replaced by Buckley, two would leave no props left.
FFS I know that, look back there a page and that's my original point.

The issue at hand is the need for the full 15 or possibly 10 substitutions.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

NAG1

Do you not think the games decend into enough of a farce around the hour mark with the running on of subs with making it more. Cant think of a worse idea for making the game any sort of spectical to watch.

Hoof Hearted

O'Driscoll didnt train today  - was feeling sick, supposed to be starting tomorrow though, but if you are sick one day, are you fit for international rugby the next ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

The Watcher Pat

Was in a Bookies in Lurgan looking at prices for this match.

They have Ireland 5/6 to win match and 1/1 plus a point. Work that out for yourself.

Better price for a point extra doesn't make any sense.

Too close to call so kept my hard earned in my pocket.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Capt Pat

He should be okl, he is a rugged character.

Wales 20 France 26

Yes it was on last night.

I missed the first 55 minutes. The Wales France match had an exciting finish almost like the Scottish match but the French kicked the ball straight out to end the game.

Roberts had a chance to put Hook away in the last 10 minutes but decided to go himself and Lee Byrne messed up 2 penalty kicks to touch in the last 20 minutes and those 3 mistakes really hurt the Welsh cause.

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Midman

Square Ball

Square Ball