Most pubs per head.

Started by 5 Sams, January 09, 2008, 11:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Of course the reason these small town have so many licences is because of the welcome they gave to her/his Majesties soldier when the cam through town to exvict the poor country people. every house that put up the redcoats got a license to sell alcohol and of couse its assumes the women of the house would give full hospitality.
why is it no suprise the counties that are emerging 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

The Watcher Pat

There are 20 Pubs in one side of Lurgan, all there is in Lurgan are Pubs, Bookies, Chippies and solicitors...... ;D
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

illdecide

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on January 10, 2008, 12:28:08 PM
There are 20 Pubs in one side of Lurgan, all there is in Lurgan are Pubs, Bookies, Chippies and solicitors...... ;D

There are 21 pubs/clubs in the Catholic side of Lurgan and probably 3-4 pubs on the Protestant side of the town, what does that tell you. anyone who knows Lurgan town (an average size town in Co Armagh) will know that the town has an imaginary border halfway through the town with the Fenian's on one side and the prods on the other
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

miss mess

westport, theres some record there for westport havng a wild amount of pubs.  no way you could get round them all in one night.  you'd be blizted

Donagh

Quote from: Hardy on January 10, 2008, 10:55:44 AM
We used to play a game over pints in Drogheda - can you go from point A (on the North side) to point B (on The Far Side - i.e. across the river) without passing a pub? No swimming or boating allowed. Couldn't be done.

Yes, yes - simpler times, when all we had for entertainment was each other. And none of us was very entertaining.

Have a similar one in Lurgan by working our a route taking you from Fr Joes in Carnegie St to the Clans in Francis St by only taking left turns. Can be done.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: illdecide on January 10, 2008, 12:34:01 PM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on January 10, 2008, 12:28:08 PM

There are 21 pubs/clubs in the Catholic side of Lurgan and probably 3-4 pubs on the Protestant side of the town, what does that tell you. anyone who knows Lurgan town (an average size town in Co Armagh) will know that the town has an imaginary border halfway through the town with the Fenian's on one side and the prods on the other

So I missed 1.....I must have been drunk at that stage....wonder which one I forgot about?
I have actually tried with a few friends to do the pub crawl with all them...Thats great craic i'm telling you.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

balladmaker

It would have to be lovely Clones....seems to have a pub at every second door!

dec

Camlough and Bessbrook must be pretty high on the most and least per person lists.

red hander

'There are 21 pubs/clubs in the Catholic side of Lurgan and probably 3-4 pubs on the Protestant side of the town, what does that tell you. anyone who knows Lurgan town (an average size town in Co Armagh) will know that the town has an imaginary border halfway through the town with the Fenian's on one side and the prods on the other'

Bit like Dungannon if you drew a big line down Scotch Street.  Because of the Penal Laws pubs and undertakers were two of the few trades Catholics could go into, so that might have something to do with it.

My vote? Ennistymon in Co Clare was memorable

nifan

We used to play a game over pints in Drogheda - can you go from point A (on the North side) to point B (on The Far Side - i.e. across the river) without passing a pub? No swimming or boating allowed. Couldn't be done.

Theres a pub on the north side of the bridge, so youd be stuck!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nifan on January 10, 2008, 01:50:37 PM

Gleesons?
Tbc....

Hardy

Quote from: nifan on January 10, 2008, 01:50:37 PM

Well there are five bridges, not including the viaduct. But there were only three back then. But you're right - finding a bridge without passing a pub was a problem. Difficulties in the streets away from the river were often overcome by going through people's houses and the like.

nrico2006

In Lurgan you have a fair number of pubs, and they have possibly the worst nightclub in Ireland in the Ashburn.  There is some number of pubs in Strabane aswell, close to 30 odd.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Drumanee 1

theres a brave few pubs in crossmaglen

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Ballinamore, Co Leitrim. 28 pubs in the main street of this sráidbhaile.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"