Started by 118cmal, November 24, 2008, 03:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: sid waddell on June 18, 2020, 12:15:01 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on June 18, 2020, 11:53:44 AM
Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 11:45:55 AM
Nothing to do with victim blaming.

Why was a garda in Roscommon carrying a gun?
I'm not blaming the victim here but surely Gardai should be looking at their own policies on firearms. Outside of gangland crime which armed response units already deal with, there is next to no gun crime on this state.

The irony.
I honestly don't see the victim blaming? He is questioning police policy, and if that policy is totally necessary. I think its an interesting debate.
Surely the real issue here is that Detective Horkan appears to have had no back up?

I think back in 2015, Garda Golden attended a domestic situation unarmed without back up and had a gun pulled on him by Adrian Crevan Mackin.

Whether a Garda is armed or unarmed it's easy to see how such a situation can be fraught with danger.

The big issue in the Crevin case is that he was a Garda informant and would have been known to the some in the Gardai to possess or have access to firearms. Would the Garda have gone out to the house with the girl alone if he really knew the type of person he would have been dealing with? I severely doubt it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

five points

Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 12:26:48 PM

Dissident republicans? Can't really recall too many dissident republican actions in the 26 in recent years.

My apologies, I must have imagined all those ATM raids.  Maybe it's my high degree of stupidity.  ::)

Angelo

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 12:57:54 PM

Dissident republicans? Can't really recall too many dissident republican actions in the 26 in recent years.

My apologies, I must have imagined all those ATM raids.  Maybe it's my high degree of stupidity.  ::)

So dissidents are carrying out armed ATM raids? I haven't seen any reports claiming that the people who carried out these raids were armed so maybe you can back that up. I also don't think there is any concrete links to dissidents, more a cross-border criminal gang with a few tenuous links to ex Provos.

You seem to be all over the shop here.

Apart from gangland crime, show me instances of gun crime in the 26, a simple question you are not answering.

My issue is that there does not seem to be any need for a Garda to be armed with a firearm in the 26 other than armed response units.

Itchy

Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2020, 12:24:49 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 18, 2020, 12:15:01 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on June 18, 2020, 11:53:44 AM
Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 11:45:55 AM
Nothing to do with victim blaming.

Why was a garda in Roscommon carrying a gun?
I'm not blaming the victim here but surely Gardai should be looking at their own policies on firearms. Outside of gangland crime which armed response units already deal with, there is next to no gun crime on this state.

The irony.
I honestly don't see the victim blaming? He is questioning police policy, and if that policy is totally necessary. I think its an interesting debate.
Surely the real issue here is that Detective Horkan appears to have had no back up?

I think back in 2015, Garda Golden attended a domestic situation unarmed without back up and had a gun pulled on him by Adrian Crevan Mackin.

Whether a Garda is armed or unarmed it's easy to see how such a situation can be fraught with danger.

That is obviously a major question.

Do Gardai typically respond to these type of incidents alone?

Terrible event and condolences to the family of Det Horkan.

The reports seem to indicate he was going alone to deal with an issue and I also thought that Gardai were not supposed to do that. Something similar happened up in Louth too with a domestic and I have a vague recollection that the garda going on his own was one of the issues there - although he was unarmed.

Rossfan

Angelo  can't you just leave it for another day?
As far as I know all Detectives carry a firearm on duty.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2020, 01:19:15 PM
Angelo  can't you just leave it for another day?
As far as I know all Detectives carry a firearm on duty.

Look, it's terribly sad but that is what happens when firearms are in the equation.

The Garda just seemed to be doing his job but hopefully it now makes Garda HQ think long and hard about the need for their officers to carry deadly weapons and the consequences of such.

five points

Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 01:10:06 PM

So dissidents are carrying out armed ATM raids? I haven't seen any reports claiming that the people who carried out these raids were armed so maybe you can back that up. I also don't think there is any concrete links to dissidents, more a cross-border criminal gang with a few tenuous links to ex Provos.

You seem to be all over the shop here

More irony.

Angelo

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 02:02:53 PM

More irony.

You're a mess and I'm still waiting for you to back up what you've said.

five points

Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 02:24:51 PM

More irony.

That the dissidents are or aren't, in your own words, "a cross-border criminal gang with a few tenuous links to ex Provos"?

Angelo

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 02:27:11 PM

More irony.

That the dissidents are or aren't, in your own words, "a cross-border criminal gang with a few tenuous links to ex Provos"?

You're still trying to divert away from the question which I will ask you again.

Apart from gangland crime, show me instances of gun crime in the 26?

five points

Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 03:07:11 PM

More irony.

You're still trying to divert away from the question which I will ask you again.

That one? See the Tom Clonan Journal.ie link I gave you earlier. Read it to the bottom this time.

weareros

Rest in peace. Awful tragedy for the family. From Charlestown, he was local and widely loved Ballaghaderreen Garda before recently promoted to Detective Garda, as was Garda John Morley, murdered almost 40 years to the date with Garda Henry Byrne.

Angelo

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 03:15:57 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 03:07:11 PM

More irony.

That one? See the Tom Clonan Journal.ie link I gave you earlier. Read it to the bottom this time.

That doesn't address it at all.

The only real use of guns in this state is by criminal gangs, other than there is pretty much no shootings to my recollection. Feel free to post up any incidents though but you really seem to be struggling.

I really fail to see the need for gardai other than armed reponse units to be in possession of a firearm and Garda HQ need to have a look at that in light of what happened in Castlerea last night.

By all means try and actually put something to the point you're attempting to make but it's like drawing blood from a stone at this point.

five points

Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 03:15:57 PM

That doesn't address it at all.

The only real use of guns in this state is by criminal gangs, other than there is pretty much no shootings to my recollection. Feel free to post up any incidents though but you really seem to be struggling.

I really fail to see the need for gardai other than armed reponse units to be in possession of a firearm and Garda HQ need to have a look at that in light of what happened in Castlerea last night.

By all means try and actually put something to the point you're attempting to make but it's like drawing blood from a stone at this point.

By that yardstick, an armed robbery doesnt count as gun crime unless a gun is discharged. For a lad that has been firing insults all day, that's a wild claim to be making.

joemamas

Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2020, 12:14:25 PM
Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:48:27 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2020, 11:42:18 AM
Maybe we could all wait till some facts emerge and out of respect for the man who died before pontificating etc.

They didn't do that with George Floyd. Why would they start now?

8+ minute video of a cop kneeling on a guy's neck while he cried for his mother and slowly struggled for breath, lost consciousness and ended up dying caused the outcry.

Are there some facts that have been missed or are still to come out?

How can you turn a blog on the taking of a Garda's life in Roscommon into a personal political agenda regarding a killing in Minnesota.
He was a personal friend of mine and a wonderful upstanding person.