Nudie Hughes/Setanta deal

Started by Dubh driocht, February 13, 2007, 10:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

Another excellent Laochra gael on TG4. He was a tremendous footballer with no fear.They didn't have his goal from the early 90s ( was it against Armagh?) when he sold a great dummy and buried it - I think it was covered by the BBC. That got me thinking about this deal the GAA have done with Setanta.Will we be able to see these great players in years to come if the rights have been sold?Does anyone know the terms of the deal, what did the GAA get,how long does it last and who were the negotiators ?

Norf Tyrone

I think the Setanta deal was raised as a concern at a recent Tyrone County board meeting, due to concerns similar to what you are refering to i.e. national exposure of the games etc.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

GrandMasterFlash

Legend! We could have done with someone similar last night in Breffni!

Six Inch Nail

Dubh,

Was that dummy and goal not from Ray McCarron?  I remember him scoring a clinker, although Nudie would have scored a few nice ones himself.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

Uladh

I think that's the Ray McCarron goal which won score of the ulster championship with the bbc's "the championship"

bingobus

The dummy Ray McCarron scored was against Derry in the Ulster Championship. Monaghan was dead and buried but that goal and another from Stephen McGinnity put them in lead only for Derry to level at the death.

Nudie wasn't a profilic scorer but had all the tricks and made scores for everyone as Eamon Mac said himself last night.

Nudie is a legend and he'd be the first to tell so himself  ;D

thebandit

I'll never forget people leaving St Mary's park that day at half time v Derry and trying to get back in 5 mins from the end!!

Will Hunting

Quote from: bingobus on February 14, 2007, 10:25:31 AM
The dummy Ray McCarron scored was against Derry in the Ulster Championship.

Are you sure that dummy wasn't in the (drawn) match against Cavan in 1993? The famous game v Derry at Castleblayney was in 1992.

bingobus

Quote from: Will Hunting on February 14, 2007, 10:49:36 AM
Quote from: bingobus on February 14, 2007, 10:25:31 AM
The dummy Ray McCarron scored was against Derry in the Ulster Championship.

Are you sure that dummy wasn't in the (drawn) match against Cavan in 1993? The famous game v Derry at Castleblayney was in 1992.

Certain it was against Derry in Blayney. The Cavan game was a drap affair and was a draw. Monaghan won the replay against Cavan but we could never many to beat Derry.

The first game against Derry we operated a  car park beside the ground and didn't get in till near half time, we were on our way out when McCarron got that cracker but stayed to the end and the car park was madness after it. Ended up leaving them at it Clones style.

thebandit

Now that I think about it, was the dummy not against Cavan, and McGinnitty scored 2 goals v Derry?

Estimator

Will Hunting is correct!! McCarron scored that goal against Cavan in '93!

The following is an extract from:  http://www.scotstowngaa.com/profray_mc_carron.htm

He was rewarded with that 1986 All-Star and won the 1993 Goal of the Season award for a stunning Ulster championship goal against Cavan in Castleblayney. No Monaghan supporter will ever forget it!
Ulster League Champions 2009

bingobus

I happily stand corrected. Remember the goal (Dundalk road end) but forgot the game.

It was a cracker alright.