Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

For several reasons didn't get round to this before now. Just want to add my belated congrats to Tyrone. A great achievement and a fine match. Tough on Kerry but in fairness to them most of them take it the right way and show the class of a county that has had such successs over the years. Nothing is surer but that they'll be back.

Anyone in the Cusack Upper 709 see the old boy losing the head altogether when it became obvious the Tyrone were going to win. He was a wee buck and 75+ and jaysus he sowed it into every Kerry person in sight. Not very sporting but the amazing thing is for a fella of his age he was able to keep the rant going for so long without seemingly needing to breathe! I found it amusing to be honest. A lot of pent up anger got released. Twas funny if you say it.

I think you would have to class Mickey Harte as the greatest GAA manager ever at this stage.

rrhf

From the ALL Ireland under 21 loss to kerry in 1990 I believe Kerry have not beaten Tyrone at any level in championship football despiite a considerable number of jousts in this period.  To my mind that involves 1 AI U21 final (following year); 1 aI semi minor 97; 1 AI minor final 2000, 1 aI senior semifinal 03 and 2 all Ireland finals 05 and 07.  

stibhan

Quote from: rrhf on September 27, 2008, 10:52:04 AM
From the ALL Ireland under 21 loss to kerry in 1990 I believe Kerry have not beaten Tyrone at any level in championship football despiite a considerable number of jousts in this period.  To my mind that involves 1 AI U21 final (following year); 1 aI semi minor 97; 1 AI minor final 2000, 1 aI senior semifinal 03 and 2 all Ireland finals 05 and 07.  

2004 minor Final as well

puskas

comethekingdom

In was at the AIF - sitting to a neutral and one thing he did point repeatdly was Tyrones tactics (in both minor and senoir games) of whenever the opposition got a bit of momentum up Tyrone would hold up play to break that momentum by falling to the ground after a challenge and bring the physios etc on for attention in order to hold up play. It worked well against Mayo.
Also can some one tell us who the Tyrone mentor is - in the orange bib that practically never left the field? Its a wonder the sideline officials dont call these boys attention to the referees and tell them to get the F off the pitch and leave the players at it.

Star Spangler

Quote from: comethekingdom on September 27, 2008, 02:03:15 PM
In was at the AIF - sitting to a neutral and one thing he did point repeatdly was Tyrones tactics (in both minor and senoir games) of whenever the opposition got a bit of momentum up Tyrone would hold up play to break that momentum by falling to the ground after a challenge and bring the physios etc on for attention in order to hold up play. It worked well against Mayo.
Also can some one tell us who the Tyrone mentor is - in the orange bib that practically never left the field? Its a wonder the sideline officials dont call these boys attention to the referees and tell them to get the F off the pitch and leave the players at it.

It's  pity some Kerry supporters can't take a leaf from their players books when it comes to taking a defeat with a bit of grace!

comethekingdom

Quote from: Star Spangler on September 27, 2008, 09:11:01 PM
Quote from: comethekingdom on September 27, 2008, 02:03:15 PM

It's  pity some Kerry supporters can't take a leaf from their players books when it comes to taking a defeat with a bit of grace!

Excuse me ! but I was one of the first on here to say fair play and congrats to Tyrone for their AI win. However the unsavoury tactics as mentioned above have no place in the game and this Tyrone team are quite capable of winning games without such unsporting behaviour. Now before you come back and say that Kerry are no angels either - I am merely telling youse what the neutral spectator was pointing out to me.

ziggysego

You're some craic. Kerry were the master of underhand tactics in this year's Championship.
Testing Accessibility

tyronefan

amazing that the NEUTRAL!!! only pointed out the misgivings of the tyrone team

Jinxy

Quote from: puskas on September 27, 2008, 01:44:22 PM
Quote from: Doire abú on September 27, 2008, 10:07:22 AM
That's a great article.

is there a better writer on GAA than Keith Duggan?

No. Reading his book on Mayo football down through the years at the moment. Excellent stuff.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: comethekingdom on September 28, 2008, 01:54:51 PM
Excuse me ! but I was one of the first on here to say fair play and congrats to Tyrone for their AI win. However the unsavoury tactics as mentioned above have no place in the game and this Tyrone team are quite capable of winning games without such unsporting behaviour. Now before you come back and say that Kerry are no angels either - I am merely telling youse what the neutral spectator was pointing out to me.

Piece in the Indo today written by a Kerryman, unfortunately the online edition doesnt say which one! Anyway whoever it was fair play to him..

"You'll understand that as a Kerryman my default position is to look at last Sunday through green and gold tinted glasses. But I want to say that this does not take in any way from Tyrone's achievement, nor in my admiration for the manner of their victory. Everything they did, both on the field and on the sideline, was everything I expected and hoped Kerry would do in the pursuit of glory.

There is no question that they were worthy and deserving winners and, in actual fact, some of the media commentary in the last week has left a sour taste in my mouth. Instead of applauding these worthy winners, some have whispered innuendos out of the corner of their mouths, casting aspersions on how this victory was achieved.

I have no problem with anything Tyrone did last Sunday; they won the game fair and square, playing the better football, showing the greater hunger and aggression and willingness to put their bodies on the line for the cause. This is what is required to win an All-Ireland. Nothing less is good enough, as Kerry found out."

ziggysego

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on September 28, 2008, 04:11:55 PM
Piece in the Indo today written by a Kerryman, unfortunately the online edition doesnt say which one! Anyway whoever it was fair play to him..

"You'll understand that as a Kerryman my default position is to look at last Sunday through green and gold tinted glasses. But I want to say that this does not take in any way from Tyrone's achievement, nor in my admiration for the manner of their victory. Everything they did, both on the field and on the sideline, was everything I expected and hoped Kerry would do in the pursuit of glory.

There is no question that they were worthy and deserving winners and, in actual fact, some of the media commentary in the last week has left a sour taste in my mouth. Instead of applauding these worthy winners, some have whispered innuendos out of the corner of their mouths, casting aspersions on how this victory was achieved.

I have no problem with anything Tyrone did last Sunday; they won the game fair and square, playing the better football, showing the greater hunger and aggression and willingness to put their bodies on the line for the cause. This is what is required to win an All-Ireland. Nothing less is good enough, as Kerry found out."

Fair play to him. If you speak to the ordinary Kerryman and woman on the street, they'd say the same. It's just journalists and the odd grump who says differently.
Testing Accessibility

glens73

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on September 28, 2008, 04:11:55 PM
Quote from: comethekingdom on September 28, 2008, 01:54:51 PM

I think that's Paidi O'Se who wrote that.

nrico2006

QuoteFrom the ALL Ireland under 21 loss to kerry in 1990 I believe Kerry have not beaten Tyrone at any level in championship football despiite a considerable number of jousts in this period.  To my mind that involves 1 AI U21 final (following year); 1 aI semi minor 97; 1 AI minor final 2000, 1 aI senior semifinal 03 and 2 all Ireland finals 05 and 07.

Did the Kerry minors not beat Tyrone minors last year?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

Quote from: rrhf on September 27, 2008, 10:52:04 AM

Off the mark there. Kerry beat us last year and absolutely trounced our minors in 2002 with Pat O'Shea as manager.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.