The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: sammymaguire on February 24, 2011, 10:14:43 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 24, 2011, 08:10:43 PM
McIlroy absolutely tanked today 8&7!

Never seen any of it, he must have been shocking bad

he wasn't actually that bad, conceded one hole without finishing out but was only +1 for other 10 he played. Crane just played really good. This event has a history of strangish results, its generally regarded as being too early in the season for the top players to be at the peak of their games

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Boycey on February 24, 2011, 10:50:46 PM

he wasn't actually that bad, conceded one hole without finishing out but was only +1 for other 10 he played. Crane just played really good. This event has a history of strangish results, its generally regarded as being too early in the season for the top players to be at the peak of their games
Is it not more that any of these top players can beat any other one, over 18 holes, on any given day. Over the normal 72 stroke play events the "cream usually rises to the top". I dont believe its a case of the events timing. The player ranked 64th will fancy his chances against the no 1 seed, esp if he gets away to a good start. When Woods was in his prime he dominated this event because no one believed they could beat him, since his game has regressed to an extent, it has become an even more level playing field. A few years ago Thomas Bjorn wouldnt have beaten Tiger, in fact he probably would have been beaten before he started.

sammymaguire

Quote from: leaveherinsir on February 24, 2011, 10:41:34 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on February 24, 2011, 09:56:03 PM
Some big upsets in the first two rounds. This is anyones tournament!
Always is, in this event, shows how good all these guys are on their day.

Quote from: sammymaguire
link=topic=909.msg922670#msg922670 date=1298496487

McIlroy loves this match play set up and the whole thing looks an ideal opportunity to raise his stock up a little more than it already is
Just like your prediction then sammy   ;) ;)

You can say that again. I had it down as a European winner with him and Donald and Kaymer on the hitlist but there's only 6 left v 8 Yanks  :-\ and one is the young Italian Mannasero  :o
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Boycey

The Dazzler stuffed Woods in a final as far back as 2000 and Woods has won it only three times, hardly total domination. Several players Harrington among them have openly said they don't put much store in it. Westwoods another with a bad record. Look at the winners/finalists yourself some strange names there. The Masters is 6 weeks away, most be looking to peak for it.

You are right though that any one of top 64 could beat any other on their day

sammymaguire

$1,400,00 not to be sniffed at mind you!!!
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Groucho

Bubba just hit an iron 285..... :o
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

anportmorforjfc

Bubba was 5 down with 8 to play and ended up winning in 19 holes. Both semis being played today aswell!

Groucho

Daly suing the Honda Classic
GolfChannel.com Team   Posted 03/03/2011, 9:00 AM EST

John Daly is suing organizers of the Honda Classic, according to a report by Reuters, claiming he injured himself while trying to stop his backswing while a fan was trying to take his picture during the event in 2007.

Daly filed a complaint in a Florida court on Wednesday seeking $15,000 in damages, the Reuters report says. He alleges that he aggravated an old injury as the woman took a flash picture of him.

Under the rules of entry for the tournament, spectators are prevented from taking cameras on to the course.

Daly ultimately withdrew from that event four years ago and says that security was negligent because they allowed the woman on the course with a camera and they failed to remove her after he told them she had a camera.

Things must be really bad for JD.....one of my all time favourite players.
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

sammymaguire

Another WGC competition this week... Hard to call
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Joxer

Am I right in saying that Sky have total rights to The US Masters this year and it wont be on BBC?

Minder

Quote from: Joxer on March 23, 2011, 04:42:14 PM
Am I right in saying that Sky have total rights to The US Masters this year and it wont be on BBC?

It is on BBC and Sky, Sky are showing the par 3 competition on the Wednesday (?) I think.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

sammymaguire

Quote from: Minder on March 23, 2011, 04:47:29 PM
Quote from: Joxer on March 23, 2011, 04:42:14 PM

It is on BBC and Sky, Sky are showing the par 3 competition on the Wednesday (?) I think.

I cant wait, I think TORRES and ROONEY will go really well in it...

BBC day one and two highlights, some live coverage on the weekend;

Sky Sports have released details of their broadcast coverage for the US Masters 2011 tournament which takes place between 7-10 April 2011.

From 2011 Sky Sports has been granted live UK broadcast rights to the Masters, with the broadcaster set to screen all four days of the tournament live and in HD.  Sky 3D will also offer exclusive live coverage of the Masters, the first major golf tournament to be shown in 3D.

The traditional Par 3 Contest on Wednesday 6 April will also be shown live in addition to an extra hour's live coverage of the opening two rounds on Thursday and Friday.

Sky TV customers will have access to four extra channels of Live Masters coverage available exclusively via the Red Button – two that follow featured groups, a channel covering the 15th and 16th and a final channel from Amen corner (11th, 12th and 13th).  Sky Sports News will also be reporting live from the tournament throughout the week.

Sky Sports Managing Director Barney Francis said: "Sky Sports is now the only place to see all four days of the Masters, live.

"In the UK & Ireland, this year's Masters will be the first shown live on Sky Sports, the first with the Par 3 Contest scheduled live on TV and the first of golf's majors to be shown in 3D.

"3D coverage of the Masters will give a unique view of the Masters and really capture the contours of the stunning Augusta National course.

"We are also delighted that coverage from the host broadcasters at Augusta National will start one hour earlier than ever before.

"Sky Sports has enjoyed a great partnership with golf for nearly two decades. We follow a hundred different tournaments each year, from five different continents, and are excited that The Masters is now at the heart of this calendar."

The BBC also hold live rights to the final two rounds of the competition, however details of the broadcasters coverage are still to be announced.

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Orior

Hoots mon! Great effort by Laird trying to become the first European to win the Armold Palmer Invitational.

One ahead playing the 18th. Nail biting stuff.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Good day for Scottish golfers.

Martin Laird wins in USA, and Paul Laurie wins in Europe.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

heganboy

was watching that myself, great finish, bit of last man standing in the end...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity