The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: thebigfella on January 07, 2011, 03:11:21 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 07, 2011, 02:57:40 PM
Anyone see Bubba Watson's eagle on the 18th last night?

663yards on the green in two :o.. he used driver off the fairway for his second shot
Driver off the fairway!

Yeah Poulter I think had a link to it on his twitter feed last night; more impressive is the fact he faded it 50 yards right to left and got 300 odd yards (I'm guessing) still  :o

Give it a go, it's not as hard as you think to hit the driver off the fairway. The control to shape the shot and the distance is what is most impressive I think.

Yea but you're not supposed to put a tee under it.
MWWSI 2017

leaveherinsir

663yards on the green in two :o.. he used driver off the fairway for his second shot
Driver off the fairway!

Yeah Poulter I think had a link to it on his twitter feed last night; more impressive is the fact he faded it 50 yards right to left and got 300 odd yards (I'm guessing) still  :o

Give it a go, it's not as hard as you think to hit the driver off the fairway. The control to shape the shot and the distance is what is most impressive I think.
Its probably the most satisfying shot in golf when you get it right, but also the one that makes you look the biggest hacker when it goes wrong! Only give it a go if you play off a half decent handicap tho, IMO

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: leaveherinsir on January 07, 2011, 03:49:37 PM

Driver off the fairway!

Its probably the most satisfying shot in golf when you get it right, but also the one that makes you look the biggest hacker when it goes wrong! Only give it a go if you play off a half decent handicap tho, IMO

And if you have a cheap driver,no way I'd try it with my Ping G15
You'll Never Walk Alone.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 07, 2011, 03:55:21 PM

Driver off the fairway!

Would it matter really, not likely to damage the club playing that shot, more likely to damage ones ego or self esteem if you top her 30 yards up the fairway!!

thebigfella

Quote from: leaveherinsir on January 07, 2011, 04:11:20 PM

Driver off the fairway!

Would it matter really, not likely to damage the club playing that shot, more likely to damage ones ego or self esteem if you top her 30 yards up the fairway!!

You'll only top it if you try playing it forward in your stance like your off the tee. It's easy enough to hit the ball (not easy to get accuracy and control BW did and thats what is impressive  :o ) and definitely not the most satisfying shot you'll ever play. My bunker shot in portmarnock the other day was much better than hitting the driver of the fairway :P

leaveherinsir

Quote from: thebigfella on January 07, 2011, 04:42:11 PM
Quote from: leaveherinsir on January 07, 2011, 04:11:20 PM

Driver off the fairway!

You'll only top it if you try playing it forward in your stance like your off the tee. It's easy enough to hit the ball (not easy to get accuracy and control BW did and thats what is impressive  :o ) and definitely not the most satisfying shot you'll ever play. My bunker shot in portmarnock the other day was much better than hitting the driver of the fairway :P
You are showing off now!!! Wouldnt be in bunkers that much myself ;) Or Potrmarnock when i think about it :)

The Real Laoislad

Trust me you ain't missing much,Portmarnock is nothing special IMHO
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thebigfella

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 07, 2011, 04:58:59 PM

The hotel & golf links course (not portmarnock GC) by Langer is a great course. Well worth a trek round and probably one of the best courses in the Dublin area. I'd be interested LL to see what you think is a great course as Portmarnock (old) is consistently rated as one of the best championship courses in Ireland?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thebigfella on January 07, 2011, 05:10:15 PM

The hotel & golf links course (not portmarnock GC) by Langer is a great course. Well worth a trek round and probably one of the best courses in the Dublin area. I'd be interested LL to see what you think is a great course as Portmarnock (old) is consistently rated as one of the best championship courses in Ireland?

Druids Glen is far ahead of it IMHO,Different type of course I know but one I would prefer playing on..each to their own
You'll Never Walk Alone.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 07, 2011, 05:12:19 PM

Druids Glen is far ahead of it IMHO,Different type of course I know but one I would prefer playing on..each to their own
Top quality inland course, probably my second favorite inland course in Ireland, behind Lough Erne. However links golf surpasses any of these "new" type set ups IMO. RLL, if you are ever up north, check out Portrush, Portstewart, Castlerock, Newcastle, best courses in the world!! (that ive played!)

muppet

My one and likely to be only ever eagle was there.
MWWSI 2017

thebigfella

Quote from: muppet on January 07, 2011, 05:20:47 PM

My one and likely to be only ever eagle was there.

My green side bunker shot was for an eagle the other day, 2nd time I've holed it when playing out of that bunker   ;D

Declan

Presume all you lads will be showing us how good ye are in the charity classic in May then!!!

Tyrones own

Quote from: Declan on January 07, 2011, 05:46:17 PM
Presume all you lads will be showing us how good ye are in the charity classic in May then!!!

Conversation stopper right there Dec  :D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

leaveherinsir

Charity Classic?
Was at the gym there, building up the muscles, will have yards on the drives this year!!
We are all allowed to talk about our great shots tyrones own, especially the ones no one else was present for ;)