The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: JimStynes on July 21, 2010, 12:03:06 AM
Anyone else play with a hurling grip? Think its about time to try fix it, any suggestions how to go about this.
I play off 9 with the hurling grip and Im sticking with it, tried to change about 18 months ago but couldnt hit the ball out of my way!  You will probably need to invest a lot of time and money (proper lessons) to make the change over and I am sure it will be very frustrating initially, but there is no reason why it cant be done successfully. 

thebigfella

When you say hurling grip, do you mean left hand lower than the right?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: thebigfella on July 21, 2010, 09:25:47 AM
Yup, thats the one.

A Quinn Martin Production

Anyone play hurling with a golf grip??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

thebigfella

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 21, 2010, 09:35:32 AM
Yup, thats the one.

I've tried using it for putting and reckon for short chips it could be pretty consistent but I can't see how you can get any serious distance on your clubs with it? As you say though it's working for you, so I wouldn't change it.

heganboy

Did anyone head down to the Lough Erne challenge- big Darren and wee Rory vs Harrington and Lowry?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thebigfella on July 21, 2010, 09:50:22 AM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 21, 2010, 09:35:32 AM
Yup, thats the one.

I've tried using it for putting and reckon for short chips it could be pretty consistent but I can't see how you can get any serious distance on your clubs with it? As you say though it's working for you, so I wouldn't change it.

I can slice my drive into the woods with the best of them, but when I do get a good round going I can drive a ball 270+ with my driver, so playing cack handed hasn't taken any power away from me.
Not saying 270 is my average I'm just saying I am capable of doing it, from time to
time.
I use a pitching wedge from about 130 which I think is a reasonable distance to hit a pitching wedge.
My problem is my 50 yards chip and runs, I lose serious amount of shots trying to do this, also sand bunkers are a big problem for me to get out of

I measured a 286yard drive with golfshot gps on the iPhone in GrangeCastle a few weeks ago, not sure how accurate they are though?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

An extract from a piece done by Golf Digest on South African Golfer Sewsunker "Papwa" Sewgolum who also played crosshanded.

Papwa happened to become a golfer because one day, as a boy, walking beyond the confines of the shantytown where he lived, he stumbled upon the Beachwood Golf Course, sister to the nearby Durban Country Club. Later, back home, his father made him a club from a guava tree branch. His father died a few years later, and to support the family, Papwa went off to work as a caddie. By the time he reached adulthood, despite limited access to golf courses and equipment, he'd become a terrific, natural, self-taught player. Unlike practically every other right-handed golfer, Papwa held the club with the left hand below the right, and with no overlapping or interlocking fingers, a strange piece of unconvention of the kind that is sometimes found in geniuses, like Lester Young holding his saxophone sideways, or Einstein's aversion to socks. "I believe a man should swing a club the best way he knows how," Papwa told Golf Digest in 1964. (Many top golfers today use Papwa's cross-handed grip for putting, even chipping, but only a handful use it for all shots.) It certainly worked: He would regularly shoot in the 60s and once made a hole-in-one on Beachwood's par-4 16th hole. With borrowed clubs and borrowed shoes, he won the Natal Amateur at 16 and soon was winning local tournaments for "nonwhites," often by more than 20 shots, routinely setting course records.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/papwa?currentPage=1#ixzz0uKrlO7Ki
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

I am trying to picture the mechanics of the whole thing and it's somewhat baffling to me.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on July 21, 2010, 06:29:40 PM
I am trying to picture the mechanics of the whole thing and it's somewhat baffling to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E85RAmHGi9Q
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on July 21, 2010, 06:38:05 PM
Just seems strange.  :)

It is strange I know but as the saying goes Every cripple has his own way of walking...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

JimStynes

Mite try out the proper grip and maybe take a few lessons, if i'm not playing like tiger woods after the 2nds lesson then im heading back to the hurling grip. Sideline cuts out of the bunker, its the way forward.

JimStynes

Went to the driving range this morning and tried out my new swing. Disaster, every shot hooked badly to the left. Whats the craic there?

thebigfella

Quote from: JimStynes on July 27, 2010, 01:52:22 PM
Went to the driving range this morning and tried out my new swing. Disaster, every shot hooked badly to the left. Whats the craic there?

Could your swing plane be too flat?