Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Hardy

Little or no talk of the Wexford game coming up this weekend. It will be interesting to see the changes made from the Derry game, I'd say a few players will do well to hold on to their position in the starting 15. Laverty will surely start the game at no.11 having been quite effective when he was switched to there last time out. Do you think any other players will have been included in the panel?

PAULD123

I would have thought Laverty is best employed as a wing forward. Devlin or Poland would be my choice at CHF. The thing I would most want to see is a big man up front to act as a target man and give us a direct option. McConville ideally, or Madine.

But unless we change our attack plan to be more direct and try to get quick ball to our forwards, I doubt any changes in personnel will make a huge difference to the way we play, or our long term chances.

Mourne Rover

If it is correct that McGovern has lost his appeal over the red card against Derry, he is very unfortunate but Garvey is the obvious candidate to come in. We need changes at midfield, and there is a strong case for starting with Madine and Peter Turley. The biggest call is probably over Poland, a key figure who made very little impact the last day. Although there may be fears that his pace has gone, the fact that he missed so much training before Celtic Park, and he should now be much fitter, will probably get him the nod. Maginn and O'Hare are also talented forwards who had an off-day against Derry and one of them is likely to pay the price. If O'Hare has recovered from his knock, his free taking could rescue his place and Mooney is worth a run at full forward.

Aristo 60

For the first time in a long time I can't attend on Saturday. Any comments or insights during the match would be very much appreciated.

rosskarr

Hopefully Down Twitter feed is going and
GAA.ie is good also for updates. I have a
nervous feeling about this one.

extra time

Radio Ulster 1341 mw are covering Donegal v Derry with updates from the qualifers.

5 Sams

Quote from: Aristo 60 on June 23, 2015, 01:52:37 PM
For the first time in a long time I can't attend on Saturday. Any comments or insights during the match would be very much appreciated.

Mise fosta. We have the FĂ©ile in Kildare. Depending on the progress we make we might make it to Wexford. Bottom line is I hope we miss the Down game.
The Aristocrat Years

NP 76

Any truth in the rumours that Benny Mc Ardle is out for a while with torn ligaments in the ankle. Heard that this evening 

Line Ball

Very serious achilles injury by all accounts.  Pity as he always comes across as a really honest player who gives his all.  He will be a loss.

Hope we still have enough to get over the line.

whitegoodman

Has Garvey left the panel as well ??

rosskarr

western exile

If there is any Dublin based gael looking for a lift to the match in Wexford and back to Dublin, just ping me

SHEEDY

Down team named for tomorrow.
Kane
O Hagan
Howard
Turley
Mc ardle  ::)
McKernan
Boyle
Fitzpatrick
Mooney
Devlin
Maginn
Poland
O hare
Laverty
J johnston
nil satis nisi optimum

PAULD123

I doubt Wexford will have an outstanding midfield but I have said it before and will say it again. I just don't see the attraction of Pete Fitzpatrick. And Mooney has never been a midfielder.

whitegoodman

With the supposed injury to McArdle and the performance from midfield up id be surprised if there is not a few changes to that line up.