The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

That was a decent Leeds team - got to a Champions League semi on merit.  The problem was that there was a transfer budget that wasn't matched by an appropriate wages budget, or at least a sustainable wages budget. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: smelmoth on November 02, 2015, 01:42:06 PM
O'Leary at Leeds and Harry at Pompey cannot escape significant responsibility for the wholesale mismanagement of those clubs. It's also very difficult to attribute any measure of success to them as individuals as most managers can improve results if given a runaway budget
The responsibility lies with the people above the managerial level. If the manager is overspending, buying crap players, not getting results or all of the above, then it is the job of the men at the top to show them the door. Ridsdale has to should the blame.

smelmoth

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 02, 2015, 01:48:15 PM
O'Leary at Leeds and Harry at Pompey cannot escape significant responsibility for the wholesale mismanagement of those clubs. It's also very difficult to attribute any measure of success to them as individuals as most managers can improve results if given a runaway budget
The responsibility lies with the people above the managerial level. If the manager is overspending, buying crap players, not getting results or all of the above, then it is the job of the men at the top to show them the door. Ridsdale has to should the blame.

Nobody is saying Risdale et al are not to blame but the idea that a manager can keep spending and never ask where it is coming from doesn't stack up. If say Norwich got in a £35m+ bidding war with Chelsea for Stones do you think Alex Neill would ask a few questions?

screenexile

Quote from: smelmoth on November 02, 2015, 01:59:36 PM

Nobody is saying Risdale et al are not to blame but the idea that a manager can keep spending and never ask where it is coming from doesn't stack up. If say Norwich got in a £35m+ bidding war with Chelsea for Stones do you think Alex Neill would ask a few questions?

If the people holding the purse strings give you the go ahead why wouldn't you?!!

smelmoth

Quote from: screenexile on November 02, 2015, 02:02:53 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 02, 2015, 01:59:36 PM

If the people holding the purse strings give you the go ahead why wouldn't you?!!

Because you have an ounce of wit?

Because you know nothing can be built on a burning platform?

AZOffaly

If you are a manager, and told you can spend millions to get the best players in, you wouldn't spend it?

You'd be in a minority of one I'd say. I doubt David O'Leary negotiated wage deals with individual players, and if I remember correctly, a lot of their problems were due to stupid personal terms they negotiated with players.

smelmoth

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 02, 2015, 02:18:34 PM
If you are a manager, and told you can spend millions to get the best players in, you wouldn't spend it?

You'd be in a minority of one I'd say. I doubt David O'Leary negotiated wage deals with individual players, and if I remember correctly, a lot of their problems were due to stupid personal terms they negotiated with players.

What positive examples of spending a load of money you don't have would be going through your mind?

Billys Boots

Not for one second am I saying that O'Leary acted sensibly.  In his defence, what was he expected to know or understand about club finances if he was assured that the money was there for him to build a team that he (and the club executive) wanted? 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

The manager is told he *does* have it. That's the point. He's not the one responsible for the purse strings. It's like any business, you get told what your budget is, and you have to either operate within that budget, or else look for more money.

If the lad controlling the purse strings is allocating money he doesn't have, then that's where the primary blame lies. I'd blame the manager if the players he buys aren't up to it, but I can't blame him for stupid wages, or if he's been given money to spend that the club didn't actually have.

smelmoth

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 02, 2015, 02:25:51 PM
Not for one second am I saying that O'Leary acted sensibly.  In his defence, what was he expected to know or understand about club finances if he was assured that the money was there for him to build a team that he (and the club executive) wanted?

He could reasonably be expected to ask the basic questions about the funding of an exponential increase in spending

AZOffaly

Quote from: smelmoth on November 02, 2015, 02:32:11 PM

He could reasonably be expected to ask the basic questions about the funding of an exponential increase in spending

What do you think he should have done? He's an employee of the club, like anyone else. He is not responsible for allocating the money, he is only responsible for spending it and getting good value for what he spends.

I also doubt he had anything to do with the stupid wage setup.

Do you think he should have said "Lads, I don't think we can afford this fella, stop giving me money?"

As I said, I think he'd be in a minority of one if he did. Managers always want to be improving their squad.

smelmoth

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 02, 2015, 02:28:19 PM
The manager is told he *does* have it. That's the point. He's not the one responsible for the purse strings. It's like any business, you get told what your budget is, and you have to either operate within that budget, or else look for more money.

If the lad controlling the purse strings is allocating money he doesn't have, then that's where the primary blame lies. I'd blame the manager if the players he buys aren't up to it, but I can't blame him for stupid wages, or if he's been given money to spend that the club didn't actually have.

So a manager just continues spending magicked up money until the creditors close in and leave the fans with a crock of sh1t?

AZOffaly

Again, the manager is being told the money is there. Is he supposed to bring in his own auditors to make sure? What should he have done?

screenexile

Quote from: smelmoth on November 02, 2015, 02:37:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 02, 2015, 02:28:19 PM

So a manager just continues spending magicked up money until the creditors close in and leave the fans with a crock of sh1t?

He'd have been destroyed by fans if they're being told the money's there to buy X, Y, Z and the manager says "Ah lads maybe we'll take a long term view, yes I'm being told we have the money but maybe we should be prudent about the thing!"

Not a chance!! It's not his job. His job is to get the best players to come to Leeds and get them playing well. The money is someone else's responsibility.

smelmoth

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 02, 2015, 02:34:59 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 02, 2015, 02:32:11 PM

What do you think he should have done? He's an employee of the club, like anyone else. He is not responsible for allocating the money, he is only responsible for spending it and getting good value for what he spends.

I also doubt he had anything to do with the stupid wage setup.

Do you think he should have said "Lads, I don't think we can afford this fella, stop giving me money?"

As I said, I think he'd be in a minority of one if he did. Managers always want to be improving their squad.

Still waiting on your positive examples of this sort of operation working?

Value for money is hardly where he would be running for a defence.