Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decod89

I prefer BBC coverage to RTE at the minute myself. RTE comms never done saying how poor a game is.
I think BBC pundits are head and shoulder above others. Michael Murphy is very good, and they have a bit of debate.

RTE ones seem to have pre-rehearsed lines they are determined to push.

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 18, 2023, 01:37:06 PM
Thomas niblock is hard to listen to commentating. He is awful. Bring back Mark Sidebottom.
And Philly mc Mahon is even worse.
The BBC used to be much better at this.

Wildweasel74

The O'brien free was not even remotely a free. Yet the fist to the ribs on Rodgers was missed, as he tried to pans pass off, Kerry scored from this. McKeigue actually was fairly decent on Clifford in the 2nd Half. Glass was poor in review, didn't get into it. P Cassidy and S McGuigan went missing 2nd Half, Toner, Paidi Cassidy, and, Loughlin not in it at all, and you have to wonder why Shea Downey came on at 71mins. Badly needed E Bradley and D Higgins coming in round the middle. If fit, u expected O McWilliams .and the other Downey to come on.

Wildweasel74

And on replay, the Goalkeeper def done McGuigan, you can see him eying him up, Should been a Derry free and the kepper a yellow card. What other outfield player do you see contest a ball this way.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 18, 2023, 02:32:23 PM
The O'brien free was not even remotely a free. Yet the fist to the ribs on Rodgers was missed, as he tried to pans pass off, Kerry scored from this. McKeigue actually was fairly decent on Clifford in the 2nd Half. Glass was poor in review, didn't get into it. P Cassidy and S McGuigan went missing 2nd Half, Toner, Paidi Cassidy, and, Loughlin not in it at all, and you have to wonder why Shea Downey came on at 71mins. Badly needed E Bradley and D Higgins coming in round the middle. If fit, u expected O McWilliams .and the other Downey to come on.

McCloskey wasn't as much in it in the second half. He had a huge influence first half and not only nullified Paudie Clifford but was a major attacking influence himself. I think whatever happened to curb him influenced the game a lot too.

JoG2

Would be mighty to be scrambling about for final tickets! What a great display from our men, absolutely heroic. A spell of 6/7 mins from the 65 min when 2 up, time stood still, the ball changed from leather to a hot coal, McQuillan torched the rule book  ;D. A crazy spell.
Maybe a case of it being drilled into the players that goals will win this game was the reason we kept going for the jugular. The players will now know for 2023
I'd tipped us to win and up until the 65 min, in spite of some strange calls I thought we would. The cynical side of Kerry has been mentioned multiple times on this thread, the targeting of Shane aside, the constant slabbering into Derry men lying on the ground, leaving a bit on in the tackle, the fake fight starting to kill momentum etc... The choir boys of football my hole.
Derry v Tyrone and Clare last year and Monaghan in the semi this year, we played like we did on Sunday, more attacking and willing to take the player on to break the line, pre Meenagh as manager. It really was the only way we could of won, not by sitting back and not taking it to Kerry.
On Glass, I thought he played his role brilliantly on Sunday. We were up on the top tier, the man plaugged holes up through middle, left and right to cut off the Kerry ball going in, meaning they had to run it more. Worked very well.
Really excited for next year, the club championship will be worth the watch to see who stands out and could be drafted in.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 18, 2023, 02:33:52 PM
And on replay, the Goalkeeper def done McGuigan, you can see him eying him up, Should been a Derry free and the kepper a yellow card. What other outfield player do you see contest a ball this way.

Yes once he  leaves the ground ,  he can't fully control his actions. And that's dangerous  to opponents. A  bit like a two  footed challenge in  soccer

God14

+1

Any other player on the field its a free kick. Why treat a goalkeeper any differently, especially when he is in an 'outfield' position.
If you turned the incident on its head, and Lynch cleaned out David Clifford in the exact same manner, you can be sure the whistle would have been blown. Free kick, yellow card.

tonto1888

Quote from: God14 on July 18, 2023, 02:50:38 PM

+1

Any other player on the field its a free kick. Why treat a goalkeeper any differently, especially when he is in an 'outfield' position.
If you turned the incident on its head, and Lynch cleaned out David Clifford in the exact same manner, you can be sure the whistle would have been blown. Free kick, yellow card.

would it? Considering Clifford got a yellow and a free against him for a perfectly good shoulder Im not so sure

Wildweasel74

Here McKeigue was given a card after 2 minor fouls, Foley clocked 5 before he was yellow carded. There was a game involving Dublin a few yrs ago where the midfielder caught the high ball but followed through on the player on the ground on the way down.Free given against him. Mohan took a high ball which was deemed a free for clipping the Dublin lad head even though he wasn't looking at him. Ryan lined McGuigan up, head high hit and nothing. Shockingly poor.

Armamike

Was pleasantly surprised to see Derry have a real go and take the game to Kerry rather than sit back and pass the ball to death or to try to rely on counters.  It was the right approach.  Haven't read all of the posts here but the consensus from Derry supporters seems to be that you were hard done by from the ref and never got the breaks.  Can understand that viewpoint but another take on it is that you didn't have the players with the composure and ability to get you the scores when the game was in the melting pot with 6 or 7 minutes to go.  Teams that win All-Ireland semi finals and finals have that level of ruthlessness/accuracy in the closing stages.  If I was the Derry management I would be focused on that rather than refereeing calls or bad luck.
That's just, like your opinion man.

marty34

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 18, 2023, 01:37:06 PM
Thomas niblock is hard to listen to commentating. He is awful. Bring back Mark Sidebottom.
And Philly mc Mahon is even worse.
The BBC used to be much better at this.

Mc Mahon is poor enough alright.

I thought he'd be a lot better and more insightful but is relatively boring.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 18, 2023, 02:32:23 PM

O'Brien's was defo soft, seen it back there, but hand went in on shoulder, he looked to be stumbling at the point before offloading it, arm in on shoulder to Joe looked like a pull back, as he raised his arm fairly quick for the advantage.

I noticed the fist/hand going in on Rodgers at that time and initially thought foul, but from the other angle it just looked like Rodgers just fumbled the ball, same incident two different angles two different views, crazy, I know!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Piskin

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 18, 2023, 08:56:02 AM
Quote from: BuzzCagney on July 18, 2023, 06:28:25 AM
Quote from: Piskin on July 17, 2023, 11:16:00 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 16, 2023, 11:58:05 PM
Dirtiest bunch of pricks we played in years, and we played everybody past 4yrs.Understand why Tyrone detest them so much. Hope Dublin beat them out of the field.

Take your beating like a man....

Looking at you're posts probably best put phone away when you on the booze.

You're deffo a Kerry man Piskin, terrible company when you're beat and even worse when you win. I'd say as a child your mother tied a bone round your neck so the dog would play with you which isn't that long ago looking at your post.

There is always next year son

Fuzzman

Did nobody else think Glass was at fault for the Kerry goal?
I know I said before that White is fast but Glass seemed to let him go.
Not sure would McKinless or others have done the same.

NotedObserver

Quote from: Armamike on July 18, 2023, 03:57:07 PM
Was pleasantly surprised to see Derry have a real go and take the game to Kerry rather than sit back and pass the ball to death or to try to rely on counters.  It was the right approach.  Haven't read all of the posts here but the consensus from Derry supporters seems to be that you were hard done by from the ref and never got the breaks.  Can understand that viewpoint but another take on it is that you didn't have the players with the composure and ability to get you the scores when the game was in the melting pot with 6 or 7 minutes to go.  Teams that win All-Ireland semi finals and finals have that level of ruthlessness/accuracy in the closing stages.  If I was the Derry management I would be focused on that rather than refereeing calls or bad luck.

Agree. Ref can't get every call right but Derry left plenty behind. It was a massive chance to beat Kerry who haven't really hit top form this year. Derry will have chances again but you've got to go for it when you have the chance ala Tyrone in 21.