All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

They beat Tipp by a point in the final according to wiki. I don't think any of those U21 teams won the AI.I thought they won 3 or 4 in a row.

Estimator

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 16, 2024, 09:18:11 AMThey beat Tipp by a point in the final according to wiki. I don't think any of those U21 teams won the AI.I thought they won 3 or 4 in a row.

They won 4 in a row, but only made it to the AI final once.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Fuzzman

Looks like there is no final this year now there is no Dublin team involved any more.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/results/gaa/2023/6368/fixtures/

Look-Up!

Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2024, 08:15:01 AMIt's good to see the All Irelands going to different counties. When is the last time a team from Cavan in any grade won an all Ireland ?
We won the Junior in 2014, beat Kerry. But it was in Portlaoise.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on January 15, 2024, 10:21:18 AMUlster Counties seem to be big into Leagues and getting their knickers into a twist over them.
The rest of us know "it's only th'oul League"

Field Marshal Slim: Nothing is ever as good or as bad as the first reports of excited men would have it . 

Dreadnought

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 16, 2024, 08:59:39 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2024, 08:15:01 AMIt's good to see the All Irelands going to different counties. When is the last time a team from Cavan in any grade won an all Ireland ?
I think their manager said 1952 was the last time they won anything in Croker.

Did the county team not win any leagues in all their yoyo years there recently though?

Last All Ireland Championship title by an adult team in Croker. Won Leagues, Junior All Ireland (not at Croker), Hogan Cup (St Pats Cavan won it there in 70s,the technical last time All Ireland title by a Cavan team there)

seafoid

Leagues don't count imo unless Division 1 . Because it's 8 teams it is more like provincial status. 
Arva winning an all Ireland is a big achievement that echoes back to the past.

onefineday

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 15, 2024, 07:38:55 AMYou said in one sentence that everyone wants to be playing at the highest level, then at the finish a run at an all Ireland would provide a spark or a revival, generating an interest and memories.

That's why I said clubs look at these competitions with a possibility of playing at levels ( from the outside) well above other counties representatives

Viewing it as a spark/memories/revival

And coming from a club who has had senior success and did drop down, I can assure you, there was no discussion or appetite for a provincial run at the lower grade  You can see the same in Derry now, where by all accounts newly relegated  Ballinderry are fighting tooth and nail to get staying at senior, you'd have to think they would have a chance of going all the way were they to end up in intermediate. If the relegations are confirmed and they win a game or two, that idea might start to become more attractive, but it's not a grand plan.

onefineday

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 15, 2024, 01:27:33 PMJust look at how many clubs are in Cork vs how many there are in Fermanagh. It's never going to be fair barring the senior. Just get on with it and enjoy it for what it is.

I doubt anyone whos ever won a junior or intermediate  ;D provincial or all ireland gives a flying f**k about the grading.
Basically agree, but can't resist nit picking, fermanagh's only club success came at intermediate ;D

Some good data from wobbler, shows the Kerry anomaly needs fixed and really highlights the strength of football amongst Tyrone clubs too - big numbers in championships and linked to league and yet they're consistently strong - just not at senior ;D  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: onefineday on January 17, 2024, 12:21:59 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 15, 2024, 07:38:55 AMYou said in one sentence that everyone wants to be playing at the highest level, then at the finish a run at an all Ireland would provide a spark or a revival, generating an interest and memories.

That's why I said clubs look at these competitions with a possibility of playing at levels ( from the outside) well above other counties representatives

And coming from a club who has had senior success and did drop down, I can assure you, there was no discussion or appetite for a provincial run at the lower grade  You can see the same in Derry now, where by all accounts newly relegated  Ballinderry are fighting tooth and nail to get staying at senior, you'd have to think they would have a chance of going all the way were they to end up in intermediate. If the relegations are confirmed and they win a game or two, that idea might start to become more attractive, but it's not a grand plan.

No, I'm sure we'd be the same, having a dip in fortunes our seniors are not at a level which would be considered the norm, and if we were relegated that's down to the team. If having to play intermediate though and manage to get a run, it could spark an interest/revival of sorts .

But like Balinderry, they ain't wanting that, you just take what's given
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

statto

Quote from: onefineday on January 17, 2024, 12:21:59 AM

On what grounds are ballinderry fighting relegation we won an all Ireland 20 years ago so we don't play at that grade?Was the structure of the league/championship not outlined before a ball was kicked last year?Derry structure seems a bit of a mess with glenullin able to win back to back intermediate championships.

Hoof Hearted

And all geared up a hattrick as far I'm aware.

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Armagh18

Rossfan

Wet and windy forecast for Sunday.
Advantage Glen?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on January 17, 2024, 07:26:41 PMWet and windy forecast for Sunday.
Advantage Glen?

Would be naomh brid be light on their feet?

The pitch won't be heavy, that will suit both teams? Or would Glen only be favourites on a soft bog?

No rain or wind out West?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea