Foreign Players in the GAA

Started by Hereiam, May 11, 2016, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Just wondering if anyone is seeing more of our foreign friends taking up Gaelic games. I know in our own club there are none and we would have a good number living in the area.

AZOffaly

It's something I'm very interested in. I'm involved with development squads in Tipp, and in 4 years I've seen 2 even in for trials. One Polish lad, and one Kenyan lad. Nobody else, and I know there are many new Irish living in the larger towns. It's natural they would play more soccer, as they and their families would be more familiar with that, but I think the GAA is missing a trick here and should do a few more familiarisation/get to know the games type of thing in the bigger towns at least.

In our club we have a couple of kids, polish and chinese, and they seem to be getting on well, but they are young, u6-u8. We have nobody aged 12-16 say. Mind you there isn't a significant number in the village, but I know there are at least a couple more families/kids that we don't seem to have attracted.

I think other counties are doing a bit better in this area, I know Westmeath have had a couple of lads playing with them up along, and they have been very good.

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 11, 2016, 02:29:18 PM
It's something I'm very interested in. I'm involved with development squads in Tipp, and in 4 years I've seen 2 even in for trials. One Polish lad, and one Kenyan lad. Nobody else, and I know there are many new Irish living in the larger towns. It's natural they would play more soccer, as they and their families would be more familiar with that, but I think the GAA is missing a trick here and should do a few more familiarisation/get to know the games type of thing in the bigger towns at least.

In our club we have a couple of kids, polish and chinese, and they seem to be getting on well, but they are young, u6-u8. We have nobody aged 12-16 say. Mind you there isn't a significant number in the village, but I know there are at least a couple more families/kids that we don't seem to have attracted.

I think other counties are doing a bit better in this area, I know Westmeath have had a couple of lads playing with them up along, and they have been very good.

Yeah there are a few in Westmeath at adult level already, and loads underage. 2/3 of the u21 full back line this year (Illunga and Sayeh) were born in Africa. There is another (Siode) who is good enough to be on the senior team but is only interested in playing club football. 10-20% of the names on team lists for underage teams in my club would have non-Irish surnames. Their natural athletic ability stands out a mile.

AZOffaly

Is that around Mullingar shark? Or around Athlone?

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 11, 2016, 02:51:04 PM
Is that around Mullingar shark? Or around Athlone?

In my case Mullingar. But Athlone GAA have a few lads of African descent on their underage teams too, and one on their senior team. Illunga and Sayeh are both Rosemount (beside Moate). So it seems to be county-wide. Westmeath as a county is highly urban as a percentage of total population. That has to have a bearing.

AZOffaly

Yeah. Fair play to Westmeath for taking advantage. I really feel we are losing out. Nenagh, Clonmel and  Thurles are all big towns, and then the likes of Cashel and Cahir wouldn't be villages either. We should have a lot more involved. Limerick should be as well.

I know Ian Bradley of Saint Mary's fairly well, and we played them at U14 level about 3 years ago in a challenge. There was a young lad playing full forward for them and he was fantastic. Not sure if he's in with the minors or not.

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 11, 2016, 03:12:33 PM
Yeah. Fair play to Westmeath for taking advantage. I really feel we are losing out. Nenagh, Clonmel and  Thurles are all big towns, and then the likes of Cashel and Cahir wouldn't be villages either. We should have a lot more involved. Limerick should be as well.

I know Ian Bradley of Saint Mary's fairly well, and we played them at U14 level about 3 years ago in a challenge. There was a young lad playing full forward for them and he was fantastic. Not sure if he's in with the minors or not.

Two lads on team that beat Longford with non-Irish surnames and they were Shamrocks (Eastern Europe) and Lomans (Africa) players. Only lad from Mary's was midfield, but his surname is Cully so I guess it's not the lad you are referring to!

I don't believe it's a conscious effort to encourage young lads, and girls, from different backgrounds. They are just part of the fabric of society now so it seems to have followed naturally. As I said above, they want to do what their friends are doing. But as you say it doesn't seem to happen everywhere for whatever reason.

AZOffaly

No, I meant Ian was with Westmeath. This lad I'm talking about wasn't Marys himself. I think he was Lomans.

Hereiam

I really think the GAA needs to try and encourage these people into the sport. Nothing better than your local club to help you get involved in the community.
Anyone know if Dungannon Clarkes have many as the town is nearly 90% foreign nationals 

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 11, 2016, 03:38:05 PM
No, I meant Ian was with Westmeath. This lad I'm talking about wasn't Marys himself. I think he was Lomans.

Ah right, probably the Lomans lad so. He's very good alright and has another year.

laceer

Quote from: Hereiam on May 11, 2016, 03:45:57 PM
I really think the GAA needs to try and encourage these people into the sport. Nothing better than your local club to help you get involved in the community.
Anyone know if Dungannon Clarkes have many as the town is nearly 90% foreign nationals

Think it's closer to 10%

LeoMc

Quote from: shark on May 11, 2016, 02:49:31 PM

Yeah there are a few in Westmeath at adult level already, and loads underage. 2/3 of the u21 full back line this year (Illunga and Sayeh) were born in Africa. There is another (Siode) who is good enough to be on the senior team but is only interested in playing club football. 10-20% of the names on team lists for underage teams in my club would have non-Irish surnames. Their natural athletic ability stands out a mile.
Picking up the attitude, not just the skills!

shark

Quote from: LeoMc on May 11, 2016, 04:30:14 PM
Quote from: shark on May 11, 2016, 02:49:31 PM

Picking up the attitude, not just the skills!

Ha, very true.

AQMP

We've spent a fair bit of time here in the North trying to get local British guys interested in the GAA.  Not much success so far even thought they're 50% of the population.  Some of them even have Irish surnames so you'd think that would be a start.

rosnarun

best  thing you can do is ban them blacks, bristishers , german ,czech and Jew.
clubs will be over run with them in a few weeks
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere