Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: StPatsAbu on May 16, 2021, 12:11:19 AM
Quote from: delgany on May 15, 2021, 11:23:47 PM
Some poor shooting ensured we couldn't get ahead today. Definite change in style of play, moving ball forward much faster,  although a diagonal ball into Mc kenna would be better. Work to do but it will take time to develop the system

So we should expect the "it will take time to change" excuse for a while then?

What did you expect, all ireland final  level of performance after 4 weeks training ?

HokeyPokey

Management has had long enough. They've lost every game so far. They must go!  >:(

In all seriousness, I expect a decent showing this year. It could be a good year, but the straight knockout system makes that more difficult, especially with a lack of preparation. The panel is good enough to not need a whole lot of coaching, so I think we all are expecting.

Gold

Quote from: CK_Redhand on May 15, 2021, 07:08:18 PM
Not too bad. Could have won it. As others mentioned our key men didn't play well in Mckenna(apart from first 15 mins), Donnelly and Harte.

McGeary good.  Morgan very good.  Donaghy excellent.  Dunno how he didn't get man of the match over mouthy Murphy.

Second yellow for O'Neill was a joke. Also no foul called on Murphy closed fist in McGeary's face?

Discipline and long range shooting need sorted.

With McNamee and mcshane to come in, and more tinkering under new management I can see improvement in the future.

2nd yellow was a joke yes but wtf was he doing getting the 1st yellow. I know he wanted to show he was up for it but a defender wasting a yellow card in the 1st half always leaves you open to a 2nd one and ultimately costing your team the game. I never understand what wrestling a marker achieves...you haven't taken him out of the game, you've only harmed yourself and your team...its totally selfish and bizarre

Plus he should've put the Priest in for a goal chance, rather than take a point..which was ultimately the difference....Kerry or the Dubs would've passed and  banged it home  or at least tried to.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

The Trap

I thought it was a very enjoyable game to watch and there were some superb scores from both sides. Donegal are a very settled team and it was a difficult first assignment for new management, only Dublin, Kerry and Mayo are better.
Fergal and the boys have little time and will watch the game today with great interest as next week Armagh will have to be beaten.
On the personnel front there are quite a few predicaments:
Who are the 2 best corner backs?
Who should play 6
Where to play Harte
Who to play midfield
Where to play Mattie Donnelly
Where to play Mckenna
Those 2 midfield?
How to get a good blend and balance up front......eases when McShane is fit but been out of football a long time now and may not have enough time to get up to speed
Are there any more gems like Paul Donaghy?
Can Paul Donaghy now handle the focus he will get?
A lot of questions to ponder for management and not a lot of time or opportunities to come up with the answers
Oh to have a Michael Murphy

RedHand88

Gutter journalism in the Sunday World today.

Angelo

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 16, 2021, 11:09:57 AM
Gutter journalism in the Sunday World today.

What was said and by who?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Presuming McShane is still out and McNamee potentially out if it's seemed a concussion. I'd go with the following the next day.

Morgan

Brennan  Hampsey  C Munroe

Cassidy     O'Neill      Rafferty

Mattie      Kennedy

Donaghy   McKenna    Meyler

McGeary   McAliskey     Bradley

Munroe did well yesterday so he deserves a go if McNamee is noy around.

Hopefully McShane will be available off the bench. Should be some good options

NotedObserver

Quote from: Angelo on May 16, 2021, 11:56:52 AM
Presuming McShane is still out and McNamee potentially out if it's seemed a concussion. I'd go with the following the next day.

Morgan

Mattie      Kennedy

Is moving mcnamee out the field out of the question?

inroundthesquare

Logan said in post-game interview McShane is back in training and coming well but return is not immediate. So guessing he will not be seen in the Armagh or Monaghan games. Possibly the Promotion or Relegation play-off a realistic target- that's 4 weeks from now.

I would like to see McKenna out to the half-forward line, with Canavan or McCurry / Bradley starting the next day for a bit more of a scoring threat with Donaghy. Donaghy's performance was the real positive yesterday. I thought Cassidy looked sluggish albeit against a strong Donegal half-forward line. They seem to have the footballers in there who are mobile and can also take scores (Langan, Thompson, Brennan floated out around the 45 too). Whereas Meyler, McGeary, Burns get through a lot of work but you never fully fancy them to take a scoring chance- think they all missed two each.
You could say that Meyler has got the better of McHugh in the last few encounters so he is a key asset.

Angelo

Quote from: NotedObserver on May 16, 2021, 12:08:39 PM

Morgan

Mattie      Kennedy

McNamee is the type of guy who can probably player anywhere, usually plays midfield for his club but he's an All Star full back and I think that's where he has been rock steady for Tyrone for a number of years now.

Brennan McNamee Hampsey is arguably as good a full back line as there is in the country.

Where you suggesting playing him? At 6 or midfield?

Angelo

Quote from: inroundthesquare on May 16, 2021, 12:25:33 PM
Logan said in post-game interview McShane is back in training and coming well but return is not immediate. So guessing he will not be seen in the Armagh or Monaghan games. Possibly the Promotion or Relegation play-off a realistic target- that's 4 weeks from now.

I would like to see McKenna out to the half-forward line, with Canavan or McCurry / Bradley starting the next day for a bit more of a scoring threat with Donaghy. Donaghy's performance was the real positive yesterday. I thought Cassidy looked sluggish albeit against a strong Donegal half-forward line. They seem to have the footballers in there who are mobile and can also take scores (Langan, Thompson, Brennan floated out around the 45 too). Whereas Meyler, McGeary, Burns get through a lot of work but you never fully fancy them to take a scoring chance- think they all missed two each.
You could say that Meyler has got the better of McHugh in the last few encounters so he is a key asset.

McKenna looked frustrated and uncomfortable inside, definitely more of an asset in the half forward line. Donaghy I think will be better served in the half forward line too. For a big guy he is still has a fair bit of filling out to do, he can hit those long range scores and plays with his head up.

I think the set up looks like it is beginning to take shape now.

A half forward line of Donaghy McKenna and Meyler looks to have a good balance to it in terms of pace, scoring ability and work rate. McGeary is kind of the extra man out the field, breaks up an awful lot of the ball and did well yesterday in that role. The fact that he's vice captain tells you all of how highly the management team rate him and they see him as a crucial part to this team. The inside line is the issue. I think it basically comes down to a target man in there and a lively scorer playing off him. Obviously McShane coming back in and his levels toward this will be important, without him we have to find an alternative.

We tried R Donnelly in there yesterday, didn't work out as he doesn't have the pace. We tried McKenna in there and it didn't work out (as well as losing his influence out the pitch).
What other options have we there?
McNulty didn't make the squad today, he is the obvious alternative but is he up to this level and has he the mobility I don't know. If he's fit he should get the chance to show it.
M Donnelly and P Harte have played in that role before to varying success - two outstanding players in their own right but finding the right role for them in this new setup could be difficult.
You could try a 2 man inside line of the other inside options but it doesn't have the ball winning ability needed.

It looks like we will have McCurry, Bradley, Canavan, Brennan and McAliskey battling it out for one position. Four of them started on the bench yesterday and McAliskey didn't make the squad.

NotedObserver

Quote from: Angelo on May 16, 2021, 12:46:24 PM

Morgan

Mattie      Kennedy

McNamee is the type of guy who can probably player anywhere, usually plays midfield for his club but he's an All Star full back and I think that's where he has been rock steady for Tyrone for a number of years now.

Brennan McNamee Hampsey is arguably as good a full back line as there is in the country.

I was thinking at midfield as a good option for kick out and can take a score but I would agree that Tyrone need all 3 of them in the full back line if playing against likes of Dublin or Kerry

Angelo

Quote from: NotedObserver on May 16, 2021, 02:26:17 PM

Morgan

Mattie      Kennedy

I was thinking at midfield as a good option for kick out and can take a score but I would agree that Tyrone need all 3 of them in the full back line if playing against likes of Dublin or Kerry

McNamee is certainly good enough to play midfield but would he be any better of a midfielder than someone like McClure for example? I'm not so sure. He is a top class full back though. It's a bit like us having McKenna playing inside yesterday.

Clearly we have issues at midfield though and that's a worry.

I thought the management were very quick to hook Kennedy yesterday, he wasn't playing well but there were a few other players who could have been hooked and he is the only natural midfielder in the squad.

Was Paudie McNulty approached to play this year. I'd find it odd he wasn't after a good year with Dungannon and the obvious shortcomings we've had at midfield.

barelegs

Quote from: Angelo on May 16, 2021, 02:31:53 PM
Quote from: NotedObserver on May 16, 2021, 02:26:17 PM

Morgan

Mattie      Kennedy

McNamee is certainly good enough to play midfield but would he be any better of a midfielder than someone like McClure for example? I'm not so sure. He is a top class full back though. It's a bit like us having McKenna playing inside yesterday.

Clearly we have issues at midfield though and that's a worry.

I thought the management were very quick to hook Kennedy yesterday, he wasn't playing well but there were a few other players who could have been hooked and he is the only natural midfielder in the squad.

Was Paudie McNulty approached to play this year. I'd find it odd he wasn't after a good year with Dungannon and the obvious shortcomings we've had at midfield.

Kennedy picked up what looked like a hamstring injury. Had ice pack on it, on the sideline after half time

NotedObserver

Morgan
Brennan
Mcnamee
Rafferty
Sludden
Hanpsey
Harte
Burns
Conn kilpatrick
M donnelly
C McKenna