Cheltenham

Started by bennydorano, January 21, 2009, 01:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Getting near that time of year again.

Bankers?

Imperious as he has seemed this season I think Binocular is well worth opposing at odds of 5/4 - cheltenham is a different beast to other courses and he was outbattled last year in the Triumph.  I'll be having a wallop at Celestial Halo (EW) at 12's.

Ebiziayan form W Mullins stable could be the boyo.  Kasbah Bliss for the World Hurdle (even though I followed him for the guts of 2 yrs without a win and missed him when he won twice in succession).

the green man

I'm going on whoever T O'Hare picks

cavan4ever

Quote from: the green man on January 21, 2009, 02:00:25 PM

Does he have a good record?

Hardy

Quote from: bennydorano on January 21, 2009, 01:56:39 PM
Getting near that time of year again.

Bankers?

Imperious as he has seemed this season I think Binocular is well worth opposing at odds of 5/4 - cheltenham is a different beast to other courses and he was outbattled last year in the Triumph.  I'll be having a wallop at Celestial Halo (EW) at 12's.

Ebiziayan form W Mullins stable could be the boyo.  Kasbah Bliss for the World Hurdle (even though I followed him for the guts of 2 yrs without a win and missed him when he won twice in succession).

Benny, IMO you should consider laying Binocular as well if you fancy him to be beaten, though I'd wait in anticipation that his price will shorten the nearer we get to Cheltenham and the longer he's still in the race. Can't make up my mind about him myself. He's looked untouchable on his last few runs, but it's true that Cheltenham is a much different test and the Champion Hurdle has found out many talking horses. But Ascot is a fair stamina test too, with a stiff uphill finish and he did pretty well there. I think I'll keep the hand in the pocket for that one.

Clown

the fact that mccoy is on binocular puts me off him a little

yes he's one of the best jockeys ever but his cheltenham record is poor and time and time again i hav been left cursing him over the years as another big festival favourite loses

too early for any bets yet tho

BennyHarp

I had a big Denman & Master Minded double last year - probably go big on the same again - but odds wont be nearly as good!
That was never a square ball!!

bennydorano

I wouldn't be going ante-post into Denman just yet, he's had plenty of bother (back or breathing??)  Think his reappearance is the AON chase at Newbury in Feb.

BennyHarp

Did i hear right at the weekend (was watching racing in the pub) that they've entered him for the Grand National?
That was never a square ball!!

Hardy

Yep - he's the favourite.

bennydorano

He looks the sort that would love the English National(good man Ted).

girt_giggler

I've been nibbling away at Kauto Star ante post for a couple of months now at odd ranging from 5/1 - 11/4.

Agree with everything said about Binocular, will be my banker at Aintree though should he run, course will suit better IMO. However there is no doubting his talent.  Katchit is a huge price still at 12/1.

My banker (subject to change) is Diamond Harry in the Ballymore.

I like Imperial Commander should he go the Ryaniar Chase route instead of Gold Cup (10/1).

Shame Master Minded is such a short price....!

Other than that too early for me to look at anything else

T O Hare

Quote from: cavan4ever on January 21, 2009, 02:02:02 PM
Quote from: the green man on January 21, 2009, 02:00:25 PM

Does he have a good record?

I won the fantasy cheltenham competition on the board last year!!! It was a bit of craic.. I hope its on again to i have a chance to retain my title!!!!! ;D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Treasurer

Quote from: bennydorano on January 21, 2009, 02:46:54 PM
I wouldn't be going ante-post into Denman just yet, he's had plenty of bother (back or breathing??)  Think his reappearance is the AON chase at Newbury in Feb.

I hope he's ok, would love to see a re-match with both horses in full health.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Treasurer on January 21, 2009, 04:22:34 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 21, 2009, 02:46:54 PM

I hope he's ok, would love to see a re-match with both horses in full health.

Denman had breathing problems but icholls has reported him to be back to full health, he had his first proper schooling session with Ruby on board in the last week or so...

Quote"He had a school with Ruby and it was fine - there were no problems at all," said trainer Paul Nicholls.

"He was absolutely perfect, I was pleased with him and Ruby was pleased with him. We couldn't have been happier with him.

"Now we  are all set for Newbury. That will be the acid test. We are happy  with him at home, but he has got to perform on the track. But he is getting close to a run."

Its all systems go for Newbury now, though Nicholls has handed him an entry in the Hennessy Gold Cup at Leopardstown the day after in case Newbury falls foul of the weather... Nicholls has also entered Neptune Collonges and Star de Mohaison for that one...

If back to full health I cannot see Kauto getting anywhere near Denman, french bred horses typically peak younger and I think if it came down to a straight out battle between the two kauto would crumble...

Gonna wait til after Newbury before doing any bets on this race...

Though I have War of Attrition for a bit on Betfair at 80/1 I think... Was hopeful at the start of the season after it racked up two wins (albeit not against much) but since losing to Noland and Exotic Dancer I have all but given up hope on this one....

Our Nail Loney

Also appropriate that this is the Cheltenham thread, Inglis Drever has been officially retired today, a great horse, winner of three Stayers Hurdles at the festival...

Was last seen pulling up injured in the Long Distance Hurdle at Newbury in November

Won 17 from 35 career starts... As wel as the three stayers hurdles, also won the Cleeve Hurdle, Kingwell Hurdle, Haydock Champion Hurdle Trial and the BHA Order Of Merit

Unbelievable horse, always seemed to pull more out of the bag when it needed, saved me at ast years festival, I was having a bad run, then lumped on him, saved myself and had another couple of winners...