Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: larryin89 on March 12, 2018, 10:20:06 PM
My point is , a competition has to have rules, guidelines .

What is the name of Dublins official home ground ?

Do counties have to name a homeground or can they play it anywhere they choose ?

Home game : does that mean the distribution of tickets is controlled by the home county ?

Can the public see the guidelines for this new competition format?
You are missing the point that it wasn't Dublin who came up with this.

The vast majority of counties think that if you win your provincial championship, you deserve at least 1 game in Croker. Hence the decision that games between the provincial champions must be played in Croke Park in the Super 8s. It actually makes sense.

Leinster champions have always played their QF in Croke Park, the Super 8 does not change that. 

If Kildare or Meath won Leinster, then Dublin would only get 1 game in Croker in the Super 8. Again why Kildare and Meath fell so far behind Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone is for another debate. Dublin's fault according to the Kildare lads. Though I do believe Kildare are finally going in the right direction.

The mistake the GAA have made, and it'll probably take a year into it before the authorities cop onto it, is that the provincial champions play their away games last. Therefore, there's a chance the provincial champions away game will be a dead rubber. So cue uproar if Dublin win 2 games in Croker and have an away game that is of totally no consequence.

The order should be Provincial champions match up first, then provincial champions play away, then in 3rd match they play at home.

(The other side of the coin is that if there happens to be something riding on the last of the Super 8 games, the current scenario would have Dublin outside Croker for it, so that might have been the intention and that would be very interesting - for example if Mayo got another draw against us in Croker, and our third game ended up being a trip to Donegal or Tyrone, with Dublin needing at least a draw to progress).

I find it hilarious that people think that the additional "back door" element of the Super 8 is for Dublin's benefit. Unlike Kerry, Mayo, Cork, Galway, etc, we've never made an All Ireland final through the back door. Did nobody see that Mayo playing ever week last year improved them! Would Mayo and Kerry not have liked an additional attempt at beating us in the last 3 years? 

Esmarelda

Quote from: Hound on March 13, 2018, 11:13:50 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 12, 2018, 10:20:06 PM
My point is , a competition has to have rules, guidelines .

What is the name of Dublins official home ground ?

Do counties have to name a homeground or can they play it anywhere they choose ?

Home game : does that mean the distribution of tickets is controlled by the home county ?

Can the public see the guidelines for this new competition format?
You are missing the point that it wasn't Dublin who came up with this.

The vast majority of counties think that if you win your provincial championship, you deserve at least 1 game in Croker. Hence the decision that games between the provincial champions must be played in Croke Park in the Super 8s. It actually makes sense.

Leinster champions have always played their QF in Croke Park, the Super 8 does not change that. 

If Kildare or Meath won Leinster, then Dublin would only get 1 game in Croker in the Super 8. Again why Kildare and Meath fell so far behind Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone is for another debate. Dublin's fault according to the Kildare lads. Though I do believe Kildare are finally going in the right direction.

The mistake the GAA have made, and it'll probably take a year into it before the authorities cop onto it, is that the provincial champions play their away games last. Therefore, there's a chance the provincial champions away game will be a dead rubber. So cue uproar if Dublin win 2 games in Croker and have an away game that is of totally no consequence.

The order should be Provincial champions match up first, then provincial champions play away, then in 3rd match they play at home.

(The other side of the coin is that if there happens to be something riding on the last of the Super 8 games, the current scenario would have Dublin outside Croker for it, so that might have been the intention and that would be very interesting - for example if Mayo got another draw against us in Croker, and our third game ended up being a trip to Donegal or Tyrone, with Dublin needing at least a draw to progress).

I find it hilarious that people think that the additional "back door" element of the Super 8 is for Dublin's benefit. Unlike Kerry, Mayo, Cork, Galway, etc, we've never made an All Ireland final through the back door. Did nobody see that Mayo playing ever week last year improved them! Would Mayo and Kerry not have liked an additional attempt at beating us in the last 3 years?
It's good to see an alternative view.

My understanding of it is that the two provincial champions in each group will play off first in Croke Park. The theory being that one will lose and one of the two weaker teams will win the other game which is an attempt to lessen the likelihood of the awful, awful dead rubber.

You'r actually right about Dublin not winning Leinster which I wasn't aware of.

Rossfan

If Dublin don't win Leinster but make the last 8 won't they still have 2 games in Croke Pk?
Their "neutral" and home game?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on March 13, 2018, 11:44:31 AM
If Dublin don't win Leinster but make the last 8 won't they still have 2 games in Croke Pk?
Their "neutral" and home game?
Yes, sorry, that's what I thought initially but Hound very easily convinced me I was wrong.

Rossfan

Ye have me confused.
Don't the non Provincial Champions in the groups get a home game too??

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on March 13, 2018, 04:27:31 PM
Ye have me confused.
Don't the non Provincial Champions in the groups get a home game too??

;D ;D ;D
Yes they do. Your last post was correct.

Rossfan

So Dublin's home game will be in ......... Parnell Park  ;) ;)

westbound

Ye have me confused now as well!!

Are all the neutral games in croke park?

If not why does dublin's neutral game have to be in croke park (other than crowd size)?

Is everyone who qualifies for super 8's guaranteed one match  (minimum) in croke park?

Esmarelda

Quote from: westbound on March 13, 2018, 05:12:52 PM
Ye have me confused now as well!!

Are all the neutral games in croke park?
No mention of neutral games. Everyone will get one game in Croke Park

If not why does dublin's neutral game have to be in croke park (other than crowd size)?
See above

Is everyone who qualifies for super 8's guaranteed one match  (minimum) in croke park?
Yes

Ball Hopper

Round 1 games are in Croke Park...provincial champions play each other and team 3 plays team 4.

Is round two (home game for provincial champions) the winners of round 1 playing each other?

Maroon Manc

I'm under the impression that either the losers of Connacht & Munster should they win their R4 game will play 2 games in Croker; One as a neutral venue and other will be because of Dublins home game.

larryin89

Thanks for that input hound and I understand its not Dublin making up the rules .

Can I just have the name of Dublins home ground ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 13, 2018, 05:32:12 PM
I'm under the impression that either the losers of Connacht & Munster should they win their R4 game will play 2 games in Croker; One as a neutral venue and other will be because of Dublins home game.

No neutral venues in Super 8.  Round 1 games will both be in Croke Park (provincial champs play each other).  Round 2 games will be at provincial winners home.  Round 3 games will be hosted by teams 3 and 4 (the beaten provincial finalist or the team that beat them in the last round of qualifiers).

Is round 2 the winners of round 1 meeting?

larryin89

Quote from: Ball Hopper on March 13, 2018, 05:50:23 PM

No neutral venues in Super 8.  Round 1 games will both be in Croke Park (provincial champs play each other).  Round 2 games will be at provincial winners home.  Round 3 games will be hosted by teams 3 and 4 (the beaten provincial finalist or the team that beat them in the last round of qualifiers).

Its like we are goin round and round here.

Its just a simple question, what is the fooking name of Dublins home ground ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Ball Hopper

Quote from: larryin89 on March 13, 2018, 05:55:05 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on March 13, 2018, 05:50:23 PM

Its like we are goin round and round here.

Its just a simple question, what is the fooking name of Dublins home ground ?

Dunno.