The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 10, 2024, 09:36:04 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on March 10, 2024, 09:32:16 AMWhilst on one level, I admire how the IRFU have embraced the professional game , let's consider these facts. Our 3 best players weren't good enough to play for NZ . Even rugby aficionados would say the game is boring and difficult to watch, the enjoyment is in having a few beers and cheering on the green jersey. It's a highly dangerous and often cynical game cf targeting Sexton's head.
It's incredibly over hyped in Ireland by Dublin (rugby schooled)media  . Overseas  players with no apparent Irish connection are coming here as a career move and are taking jerseys from potential home grown talent .
We are brilliant at winning stand alone "test matches " many of dubious significance, but when it comes down to the "clutch" in the really big games eg WC or England in Twickers, we fall short. Could this be because most of our players are either overseas mercenaries ( I accept that appears harsh on great characters who have contributed enormously) or private school privileged?

Fair play to the IRFU for making the most of the rules to get a strong team on the field, and hyping us as "the best team in the world" but Rugby clubs are struggling and Irish players aren't developing . It may seem great to be appearing to be at the top table , but in reality we're really only there because we're playing ringers, and we're still only getting the crumbs . Harsh maybe but that's reality.
Yeah at the end of the day its the posh boys sport, nice to see them do well but won't be losing too much sleep over them not. One good thing is that its an actual all ireland team.

Christ these posts are so Irish... We're good at something on an international level, very very good in fact. So, let's pick holes in it or find ways to bring the team down to earth. The reality is 6th Sam is full of dung. Can he name 1 team not playing overseas players? ... By his logic, well....

Tony Baloney

Plenty of good old Irish begrudgery and shoulder chippery on display. Never change lads!

Gael80

Quote from: JoG2 on March 10, 2024, 10:27:11 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 10, 2024, 09:36:04 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on March 10, 2024, 09:32:16 AMWhilst on one level, I admire how the IRFU have embraced the professional game , let's consider these facts. Our 3 best players weren't good enough to play for NZ . Even rugby aficionados would say the game is boring and difficult to watch, the enjoyment is in having a few beers and cheering on the green jersey. It's a highly dangerous and often cynical game cf targeting Sexton's head.
It's incredibly over hyped in Ireland by Dublin (rugby schooled)media  . Overseas  players with no apparent Irish connection are coming here as a career move and are taking jerseys from potential home grown talent .
We are brilliant at winning stand alone "test matches " many of dubious significance, but when it comes down to the "clutch" in the really big games eg WC or England in Twickers, we fall short. Could this be because most of our players are either overseas mercenaries ( I accept that appears harsh on great characters who have contributed enormously) or private school privileged?

Fair play to the IRFU for making the most of the rules to get a strong team on the field, and hyping us as "the best team in the world" but Rugby clubs are struggling and Irish players aren't developing . It may seem great to be appearing to be at the top table , but in reality we're really only there because we're playing ringers, and we're still only getting the crumbs . Harsh maybe but that's reality.
Yeah at the end of the day its the posh boys sport, nice to see them do well but won't be losing too much sleep over them not. One good thing is that its an actual all ireland team.

Christ these posts are so Irish... We're good at something on an international level, very very good in fact. So, let's pick holes in it or find ways to bring the team down to earth. The reality is 6th Sam is full of dung. Can he name 1 team not playing overseas players? ... By his logic, well....

To be honest 'bringing the team down to earth' or more to the point bringing Irish rugby down isn't a bad thing. Twice in 6 months they've fell short when the pressure was on or the opposition focused.

We're good at rugby and a championship next week is welcome. This arrogance though across Irish rugby is embarassing and people calling it out are only speaking facts. Enjoy the wins but stop with the arrogance. We're competitive but not far ahead of every other team.

seafoid

Game management failed. The injury to Calvin Nash was really important. They had to keep a forward in reserve- timing it was difficult. Then O'Mahony got sin binned- it wasn't one thing . It was the combination of a few. It was a great match .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Some dung on here! First off, why would the begrudgers even watch a game that they have contempt for in the first place!

And secondly, England were head and shoulders the better team

Ireland got a few things wrong yesterday but could have come away with a win by playing no where near as good as they have been.

Scotland will undoubtedly be well up for the match regardless of the championship, getting bate by Italy will have left a real bad taste in the mouth, be interesting to see how they recover from that defeat.

Winning the championship is all that matters, the grand slam is a bonus

And hopefully Lowry doesn't shit the nest at the Arnold Palmer Invitational  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

There's no begrudger like a GAA begrudger! Especially the 'the best team in the world' muppets. Nobody in rugby circles has called Ireland the best team in the world in the build up to, or during, this Six Nations.

When Aston Villa beat Man City earlier in the season, and played them off the park, nobody suggested Villa are a better team than City, but they were better on the day. We are better than England, we'll finish well ahead of them in the championship, they played very well, we were quite poor, and yet they still only grabbed their fully deserved win by a whisker.

Bit of pressure on now to go beat the Scots, who will also have a lot to prove. Which is good for the 6N, because the 3 previous games had probably been too easy. Extraordinary that if things go well next week, there's a chance Ireland will end up with a 90+ points difference and every other team could have a negative points difference.

tonto1888

Always disappointing when Ireland lose. Can't understand why some people seem to enjoy it. That said, I'd rather watch NRL when it comes to rugby

Wildweasel74

Nobody look at the French team over the years.They have the biggest pick and been playing out of towners for years. England were the biggest offender also but somehow Aki and Co the reason why Irish Rubgy clubs are floundering. Right!!

seafoid

6 forwards and 2 backs works until it doesn't.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

Quote from: 6th sam on March 10, 2024, 01:04:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2024, 11:12:43 AMSome dung on here! First off, why would the begrudgers even watch a game that they have contempt for in the first place!

And secondly, England were head and shoulders the better team

Ireland got a few things wrong yesterday but could have come away with a win by playing no where near as good as they have been.

Scotland will undoubtedly be well up for the match regardless of the championship, getting bate by Italy will have left a real bad taste in the mouth, be interesting to see how they recover from that defeat.

Winning the championship is all that matters, the grand slam is a bonus

And hopefully Lowry doesn't shit the nest at the Arnold Palmer Invitational  ;)

Who is begrudger?
I watch it because I'm patriotic and want to see my team win.
Same way as I want to see The Irish win at  Cheltenham , McIlroy or Lowry win, Conlon or frampton win.
However that doesn't mean I can't explore reasons for defeat, or constructively criticise.
I've complimented IRFU on how they've made the most of flawed rules, and how they've got their PR right.
Rather than counter my posts by calling them dung , can you actually try and explain how NZers such as Lowe, and private schoolers , can be as hungry for Irish success as others .  Though this may be uncomfortable for some to admit , it's not begrudgery, it's honesty .

I think a major turn-off for me was Lowe's interview after beating NZ in Dublin a few years ago, when he basically was in awe of his home country ( and fair play to him) , and playing for us was second best . Despite all this , he's one of our better players?? International affinity should not be diluted in any sport in my opinion. People on here might not like that, and call it dung but if they actually reflect it's a very fair point .
Agreed.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 10, 2024, 10:33:44 AMPlenty of good old Irish begrudgery and shoulder chippery on display. Never change lads!

When directed at rugby, it usually comes from Celtic fans or GAA people from that occupied six. They don't like rugby because at the elite level it's played by posh boys and prods.

RedHand88

Quote from: gallsman on March 10, 2024, 01:35:28 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 10, 2024, 10:33:44 AMPlenty of good old Irish begrudgery and shoulder chippery on display. Never change lads!

When directed at rugby, it usually comes from Celtic fans or GAA people from that occupied six. They don't like rugby because at the elite level it's played by posh boys and prods.

Nothing to do with prods so pull the other one. Soccer is mostly played by prods here and it's one of my favourite sports.

Pub Bore

No complaints, England were the better team and deserved to win, probably by more than 1 point.  Ireland never really got going mostly because Eng didn't let them.  England won most of the physical battles.  A lot made of Murray's decision to kick near the end, maybe he thought the forwards were fcuked and might give away a pen trying to stick it up their jumper?  A poor kick, though, and he wasn't good after he came on. O' Mahony was poor too, and put the tin hat on it with a brainless yellow.

Fair play to Italy, should have bate France and could have bate England.  Their U20s are having a great 6N too.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 10, 2024, 02:11:21 PM

Nothing to do with prods so pull the other one. Soccer is mostly played by prods here and it's one of my favourite sports.
Just the poshos then?

RedHand88

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 10, 2024, 02:51:20 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 10, 2024, 02:11:21 PM

Just the poshos then?

Me disliking it is nothing to do with the fact that it's mostly protestants that play it. I do not care what religion plays it.