GAA club rivalry 'behind intimidation'

Started by red hander, October 07, 2009, 06:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

From today's Irish News

By Seamus McKinney

An inter-county GAA referee fears he will have to leave his Co Derry home of 17 years because of inter-club rivalry.

Ballinderry native Martin McErlean claims a long campaign of intimidation by supporters of Loup GAA club against his home and family has made his life unbearable.

He said matters reached crisis point this week after Loup won the Derry county senior championship defeating Dungiven in the final.

Following Sunday's final, graffiti was daubed on his home, branding family members "slut" and "tr**p".

Mr McErlean – who lives in the Loup parish which adjoins his home Ballinderry parish – said his home has been attacked on a number of occasions. He said family members have also been singled out for intimidation.

Mr McErlean said his 17-year-old son has been severely traumatised by this week's attack.

"He takes it very personally; he thinks it's him they're getting at," Mr McErlean said.

He believes that rogue supporters of the Loup are responsible.

"If it's not Loup supporters, who is it? It's too much of a coincidence that it should happen only after major Loup games," he said.

Mr McErlean said: "In 2006 when Ballinderry beat Loup, my car was wrecked in the street."

Chairman of Loup GAA club Sean Corey said he had no doubt "genuine Loup supporters" were not involved.

"I would be very, very disappointed if it was Loup supporters," he said.

Mr Corey, who visited Mr McErlean on Monday evening, accused "hooligans" and "anti-social elements" of being behind the attacks.

"I would sympathise with him. I didn't realise until I visited he has a young daughter and no-one could put up with that," he said.

The Loup chairman said the club would not recognise anyone involved in such attacks as genuine supporters.

Mr Corey said it would be wrong to comment further as it understood the incident was being investigated by police.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"